Closed borders to International arrivals

Aussiebird

7 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

Hi all,

Has anyone read or know how long the borders will be closed to  international flights from the UK this year?

TIA xx

The border isn't closed to flights from the UK, the border is closed to people flying from the UK without Aus Citizenship of Aus Permanent Residency

3 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

The border isn't closed to flights from the UK, the border is closed to people flying from the UK without Aus Citizenship of Aus Permanent Residency

Thank you.

I expect quarantine will be in place for many more months to come.

6 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Thank you.

I would envisage a while, but the government may review and transfer the costs to the individuals.    

6 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Thank you.

A timeline has been published, which shows international flights aren't planned to  open before the end of December.  Quarantine will, obviously, have to stay in place until infections in other countries are as low as they are currently in Australia.

Edited by Marisawright

19 hours ago, Marisawright said:

A timeline has been published, which shows international flights aren't planned to  open before the end of December.  Quarantine will, obviously, have to stay in place until infections in other countries are as low as they are currently in Australia.

Hi There, 

hope you are keeping safe!

where can I find the timeline for international travel open or flights are open? I have 491 grant and looking for borders to open to make entry. 

Thanks

3 hours ago, Skhush said:

Hi There, 

hope you are keeping safe!

where can I find the timeline for international travel open or flights are open? I have 491 grant and looking for borders to open to make entry. 

Thanks

It still hasn’t been announced definitely. Currently it’s likely to be end of December before non-residents will be allowed in, but no one knows for sure 

Just checked this morning and the  dollar is dropping further, AUS $1.82 to the GBP!!

Really not sure if to wait to sell up here in the UK this year?  Don't want to be in a position where we have sold and the dollar is even lower, will have a big impact on what we can buy in Oz.

Everything is so uncertain at the moment!

2 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Just checked this morning and the  dollar is dropping further, AUS $1.82 to the GBP!!

Really not sure if to wait to sell up here in the UK this year?  Don't want to be in a position where we have sold and the dollar is even lower, will have a big impact on what we can buy in Oz.

Actually the dollar is rising against other currencies

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

I think you've got it the wrong way round the dollar is rising it is the Brexit pound that is sinking lower

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NickyNook said:

You've got it the wrong way round - it's the value of the pound that is falling in those graphs.

As someone whose sole income comes from UK every month I can confirm that you are absolutely correct. When the pound falls we get fewer dollars. We know as we feel the pain.

20 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

I think you've got it the wrong way round the dollar is rising it is the Brexit pound that is sinking lower

12 hours ago, NickyNook said:

You've got it the wrong way round - it's the value of the pound that is falling in those graphs.

9 hours ago, ramot said:

As someone whose sole income comes from UK every month I can confirm that you are absolutely correct. When the pound falls we get fewer dollars. We know as we feel the pain.

Actually the pound has been pretty stable to slightly stronger against most major currencies in the last 6 weeks - it's the AUD that has risen sharply against the USD (and therefore also against the pound, the EUR and the JPY)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, paulhand said:

Actually the pound has been pretty stable to slightly stronger against most major currencies in the last 6 weeks - it's the AUD that has risen sharply against the USD (and therefore also against the pound, the EUR and the JPY)

Yes i realised I hadn’t worded it correctly, as I knew the dollar was stronger, therefore you get fewer dollars for your pound, as we have been dependent on the exchange rate for 17 years for our income. Thought enough other people had posted to make that clear.

My husband has kept a pretty accurate account of the exchange rate since 2003 and reckons it averages at about $1.80. Don’t take that as a definite please, only from his observations, expect someone will contradict it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ramot said:

Yes i realised I hadn’t worded it correctly, as I knew the dollar was stronger, therefore you get fewer dollars for your pound, as we have been dependent on the exchange rate for 17 years for our income. Thought enough other people had posted to make that clear.

My husband has kept a pretty accurate account of the exchange rate since 2003 and reckons it averages at about $1.80. Don’t take that as a definite please, only from his observations, expect someone will contradict it.

Sounds about right - long gone are the days of nearly $3.00!

image.thumb.png.c08e8c1a6d2ea7367905cc05451ab1e1.png

2 hours ago, paulhand said:

Sounds about right - long gone are the days of nearly $3.00!

image.thumb.png.c08e8c1a6d2ea7367905cc05451ab1e1.png

I someone could arrange for a very brief (7 days will do) return to $3 to the pound, that would be lovely  - just enough time to transfer over the house sale proceeds 🙂

• Haha 1