189/190 - Partner skills - points query.

Hi all,

First time posting.

I have been preparing information to apply for either the 189/190 Visa. I would like to include my partner (girlfriend of 6 years) on my Visa. I may have to apply for the 189 so I wanted to see if I can claim the partner skills points.

I can see that I can gain points under 'Partner skills' in the points tables on the immi.homeaffairs website for both Visa classes:

5 points can be claimed if  - 

"Your spouse or de facto partner must also be an applicant for this visa and has competent English
For you to be eligible for the award of these points your partner must be an applicant for the same visa subclass and must not be an Australian permanent resident or an Australian citizen."

My question is on "your partner must be an applicant for the same visa subclass". 🤨

Do I get the points if I include a partner on my visa? or are they saying the points are awarded if she was doing her own/separate visa application for the same class?

I would also be interested to hear advice on if it is simple to include a partner when applying and who signs of that you are indeed 'defacto'?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Andy

52 minutes ago, AndyWooly said:

Do I get the points if I include a partner on my visa?

Yes - if you include her as a dependent in your application and she has at least 'competent English'. You get 10 points if her occupation is on the same skills list as yours and she has a positive skills assessment.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for clarifying, that is a few extra points toward my application! Having seen your posts, I have submitted an inquiry to Suncoast for some further advice.

Having spent a bit of time today on the forum, it would seem you need high points for the 189 in any case.

Thanks,

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/05/2020 at 10:09, AndyWooly said:

Hi all,

First time posting.

I have been preparing information to apply for either the 189/190 Visa. I would like to include my partner (girlfriend of 6 years) on my Visa. I may have to apply for the 189 so I wanted to see if I can claim the partner skills points.

I can see that I can gain points under 'Partner skills' in the points tables on the immi.homeaffairs website for both Visa classes:

5 points can be claimed if  - 

"Your spouse or de facto partner must also be an applicant for this visa and has competent English
For you to be eligible for the award of these points your partner must be an applicant for the same visa subclass and must not be an Australian permanent resident or an Australian citizen."

My question is on "your partner must be an applicant for the same visa subclass". 🤨

Do I get the points if I include a partner on my visa? or are they saying the points are awarded if she was doing her own/separate visa application for the same class?

I would also be interested to hear advice on if it is simple to include a partner when applying and who signs of that you are indeed 'defacto'?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Andy

I have a similar question about what makes the relationship defacto. Me and my girlfriend have been together for 5 years and I am trying to figure out what we need so she can come over if I was to get a visa. 

4 hours ago, LostInCuba said:

I have a similar question about what makes the relationship defacto. Me and my girlfriend have been together for 5 years and I am trying to figure out what we need so she can come over if I was to get a visa. 

When you say you've "been together", what do you mean?  

"De facto" means "in a relationship that is the equivalent of marriage".   So, you're behaving like a married couple, you just didn't go through a formal ceremony first.  If that doesn't describe your relationship, then you're not "de facto"

The problem with not going through a formal ceremony is that you were dating for a while, then at some point you became the equivalent of a married couple.  You'll need to work out when that happened and work out how to prove it, because that's the date you can claim defacto from.