190 activation

My wife, myself and son got our 190 visa last November and have until December the 6th to move to Oz from uk or activate the visa. My wife doesn’t want to hand in her notice until we know we can fly and we have jobs to think about, there is a chance she can continue her job in Oz as they have offices but she can’t tell them until she hands in her notice which she reluctant to do until we are sure we can get there safely.

Does anyone know if the whole family has to go to activate the visa or just the main visa holder? Our original plan was to leave in September but I think that will be pushed back as late as we can as she still has the three month notice period but doesn’t leave much time to decide. Quite a risk. Any thoughts moral appreciated.

15 minutes ago, Dorsetbrit said:

My wife, myself and son got our 190 visa last November and have until December the 6th to move to Oz from uk or activate the visa. My wife doesn’t want to hand in her notice until we know we can fly and we have jobs to think about, there is a chance she can continue her job in Oz as they have offices but she can’t tell them until she hands in her notice which she reluctant to do until we are sure we can get there safely.

Does anyone know if the whole family has to go to activate the visa or just the main visa holder? Our original plan was to leave in September but I think that will be pushed back as late as we can as she still has the three month notice period but doesn’t leave much time to decide. Quite a risk. Any thoughts moral appreciated.

I believe all applicants of the family have to comply with their initial entry date requirement.

9 minutes ago, Lavers said:

I think that 1st entry dates have been scrapped anyway.

As long as you still enter before the "must not arrive after date" then you are fine.

They've not been scrapped, they are still in force, but the department seems to be saying they will not seek the revocation of a visa just because the holder did not comply with the first entry date requirement. Of course this allowance could change at any time - they are politicains after all...

They've not been scrapped, they are still in force, but the department seems to be saying they will not seek the revocation of a visa just because the holder did not comply with the first entry date requirement. Of course this allowance could change at any time - they are politicains after all...

No really a risk I’m prepared to make, it took two years to get a visa sorted then this pandemic sets in. Wouldn’t be so bad if they gave a 3 month extension. My wife doesn’t want to give her notice on a “maybe we’ll get a flight” but if we don’t activate we may loose it completely and I don’t want go and come straight back again rather go and stay.

20 minutes ago, Dorsetbrit said:

No really a risk I’m prepared to make, it took two years to get a visa sorted then this pandemic sets in. Wouldn’t be so bad if they gave a 3 month extension. My wife doesn’t want to give her notice on a “maybe we’ll get a flight” but if we don’t activate we may loose it completely and I don’t want go and come straight back again rather go and stay.

Flights are still available daily at the minute, with more airlines starting up in July. Airlines are flexible and allowing you to move your flight date if needed.

I will be booking my flight in the next few weeks.

If there is a second wave of covid before the end of the year then im sure the 1st entry date would be out of the window.

42 minutes ago, mt9754 said:

Flights are beginning to open up,  Doha is open, Singapore and Hong Kong will be accepting transit passengers from next week (2nd June and 1st June respectively).

But remember as things stand at present a validation trip would be risky as once here, the OP would then have to apply for an exemption in order to leave again. 

7 minutes ago, Dorsetbrit said:

So it would be best maybe to book a date and just go for it, I guess the real risk is the wife handing in notice and for some reason can’t go then left jobless but there won’t be a time where it won’t be a risk.

Anything could happen so plans are out of the window really.

We where due to go Sept but have decided to fly 1st July. We sold our house a week before lockdown so we are ready to go really.

Our worry was if things went bad again then we could be stuck in the UK for God knows how long.

For us we felt it was better to go whilst we can. Only you can decide what you think is best.

If only we had a crystal ball 🤔

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

This is what the Department are saying and have been saying for some time. There is no indication that this will change any time soon. 

5 hours ago, Nemesis said:

But remember as things stand at present a validation trip would be risky as once here, the OP would then have to apply for an exemption in order to leave again. 

Not if they were not usually resident in Australia at that time. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dorsetbrit said:

You wouldn’t be allowed to go and come straight back again anyway. 

Why do you think it would be hard to get a flight?

2 hours ago, paulhand said:

This is what the Department are saying and have been saying for some time. There is no indication that this will change any time soon. 

Not if they were not usually resident in Australia at that time. 

So even if they are PR they would not have to seek an exemption in order to leave? presumably though they would still need to do 2 weeks in some dodgy hotel?

Edited by Nemesis

12 hours ago, mt9754 said:

Flights are beginning to open up,  Doha is open, Singapore and Hong Kong will be accepting transit passengers from next week (2nd June and 1st June respectively).

Yes and 7 recent flights from Doha to Australia had Covid-19 confirmed passengers on board.  

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Nemesis said:

So even if they are PR they would not have to seek an exemption in order to leave? presumably though they would still need to do 2 weeks in some dodgy hotel?

Not sure about a dodgy hotel. They have been using The Westin in Brisbane CBD for some going in isolation and its a brand new high end hotel, only built 12/ 18 mths ish ago, its beautiful.

Cal x

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Taken off the Melbourne airport website:

The following travellers are exempt from the 'outbound' travel restrictions:

• Persons ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia.
  • Persons whose travel is associated with essential work at offshore facilities.
  • Persons engaged in the day to day conduct of outbound and inbound freight.
  • Persons travelling on official Government business and members of the Australian Defence Force (ADF)
  • Airline and maritime crew and associated safety workers.

You wouldn’t be allowed to go and come straight back again anyway. 
Why do you think it would be hard to get a flight?

From what I’ve seen only a couple of airlines have said they are starting up uk to Sydney soon. I’m happy to book and hope for the best. We have a 190 visa. Do we have quarantine in a hotel even if we’re staying in Sydney and what are the rules of staying quarantine because two weeks with a 3 year old in a hotel without being able to leave doesn’t sound like fun to me. But I guess I would if we can start our life in Oz.

1 hour ago, Dorsetbrit said:

From what I’ve seen only a couple of airlines have said they are starting up uk to Sydney soon. I’m happy to book and hope for the best. We have a 190 visa. Do we have quarantine in a hotel even if we’re staying in Sydney and what are the rules of staying quarantine because two weeks with a 3 year old in a hotel without being able to leave doesn’t sound like fun to me. But I guess I would if we can start our life in Oz.

Strict quarantine rules regardless of where your staying and who you are with.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, calNgary said:

Not sure about a dodgy hotel. They have been using The Westin in Brisbane CBD for some going in isolation and its a brand new high end hotel, only built 12/ 18 mths ish ago, its beautiful.

Cal x

Did you read my earlier post about friends in Sydney? Both hotels involved were five star.......one of the was producing meals that even the police said were a disgrace, but they could do nothing to force the hotel to serve edible ones. 

3 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Did you read my earlier post about friends in Sydney? Both hotels involved were five star.......one of the was producing meals that even the police said were a disgrace, but they could do nothing to force the hotel to serve edible ones. 

Crikey you're a doomster Nemisis. I've not heard of anyone starving so far in quarantine, and we all know it's for a very good reason. Let's face it some airline food can be a little less than desired but its amazing what you will eat when you have to. 

If it was me, I would take some processed food with me (biscuits, crisps) as back up and declare on arrival; being processed they are likely to be checked and then allowed to proceed. And some decent coffee/tea! Also I would make sure I had a credit card with zero conversion cost (assuming I had no Au bank card at that stage), the likes of Santander Zero, as I believe they allow Uber Eats and the likes to be delivered if you order in quarantine.

For example, in victoria 'It has now been revealed those returning travellers with allergies that are unable to be accommodated by their designated hotel in Victoria have been entitled to up to $85 per day on food delivery service - Uber Eats.' So pretty certain deliveries would be another back up for food.

It may be unpleasant to have to quarantine, especially with kids but the numbers speak for themselves - in Victoria the majority of cases lately are those of returned travellers in quarantine. Once quarantine is over just think how great it is to be in a country with such low rates of community transmission and all you can do as a result - only achieved by this quarantine.

Edited by elderberry
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, elderberry said:

Crikey you're a doomster Nemisis. I've not heard of anyone starving so far in quarantine, and we all know it's for a very good reason. Let's face it some airline food can be a little less than desired but its amazing what you will eat when you have to. 

If it was me, I would take some processed food with me (biscuits, crisps) as back up and declare on arrival; being processed they are likely to be checked and then allowed to proceed. And some decent coffee/tea! Also I would make sure I had a credit card with zero conversion cost (assuming I had no Au bank card at that stage), the likes of Santander Zero, as I believe they allow Uber Eats and the likes to be delivered if you order in quarantine.

For example, in victoria 'It has now been revealed those returning travellers with allergies that are unable to be accommodated by their designated hotel in Victoria have been entitled to up to $85 per day on food delivery service - Uber Eats.' So pretty certain deliveries would be another back up for food.

It may be unpleasant to have to quarantine, especially with kids but the numbers speak for themselves - in Victoria the majority of cases lately are those of returned travellers in quarantine. Once quarantine is over just think how great it is to be in a country with such low rates of community transmission and all you can do as a result - only achieved by this quarantine.

Most hotels will allow ubereats, but it is at the hotel's discretion. This particular one would not accept any deliveries of food or drink, it all had to be purchased in house, at inflated prices. Even appealing to NSW authorities got him nowhere. He's a big guy and found it very hard to do 14 days on very small portions, ended up doing the second week with a lot of room service and a huge bill simply to keep his strength up. 

There are plenty of hotels out there giving great service, but there are clearly some not doing quite so well

Very true it will be worth it in the long run, short pain with huge gain. I recon we will replan for October now mane November so who knows the situation there at that time. Just want to be there before my 40th end of nov.
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Most hotels will allow ubereats, but it is at the hotel's discretion. This particular one would not accept any deliveries of food or drink, it all had to be purchased in house, at inflated prices. Even appealing to NSW authorities got him nowhere. He's a big guy and found it very hard to do 14 days on very small portions, ended up doing the second week with a lot of room service and a huge bill simply to keep his strength up. 

There are plenty of hotels out there giving great service, but there are clearly some not doing quite so well

These people haven’t spent a penny on anything outside the hotels. No gas, electric, no petrol and no shopping trips to the supermarkets.  Surely having to pay for some room service wouldn’t have been a major issue. If that big guy would normally spend $200 in Coles every week on food then he’s saved $400 whilst he’s been in the hotel just in food alone.  The very small portions given that you mention would have to be adequate for the average person otherwise the world would know about it. If those guests were being half starved, it would be all over social media.  No way would the hotel get away with giving people less than say the 2000 a day calories they need to sustain their weight.  These people aren’t burning it off much either as they can’t do much. Sounds like this big guy needed more but I’d be surprised if he needed to rack up a huge bill just to keep his strength up. Sure he needed some room service as a top up but I’d be interested to see what his bill was and what he had for room service in that second week. If it came to more than he would have spent not being there I’d say he probably bought more than some essential top up food. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

These people haven’t spent a penny on anything outside the hotels. No gas, electric, no petrol and no shopping trips to the supermarkets.  Surely having to pay for some room service wouldn’t have been a major issue. If that big guy would normally spend $200 in Coles every week on food then he’s saved $400 whilst he’s been in the hotel just in food alone.  The very small portions given that you mention would have to be adequate for the average person otherwise the world would know about it. If those guests were being half starved, it would be all over social media.  No way would the hotel get away with giving people less than say the 2000 a day calories they need to sustain their weight.  These people aren’t burning it off much either as they can’t do much. Sounds like this big guy needed more but I’d be surprised if he needed to rack up a huge bill just to keep his strength up. Sure he needed some room service as a top up but I’d be interested to see what his bill was and what he had for room service in that second week. If it came to more than he would have spent not being there I’d say he probably bought more than some essential top up food. 

A big problem for people will be wanting to eat because they are bored.

I am surprised that food is supplied free of charge, I was fully expecting to have to pay for food and drink.