(489) now work less than 35 hrs due to Covid (Company put Aussies first). Effect on visa???

Hi guys,

I am holding 489 since Sep 2019. I have been working full time ever since... Until Covid hits. I have been stood down for 3 weeks (but I claimed holiday pay for that period) 

Now I came back to work. However, the company gave Aussies first priority to work, which makes my work hours to be less than 35 hrs as per 887 work requirement. 

Would that affect when I submit application for 887 visa?? I know that Immigration has made some exemption for temporary visa but I do not know for how long. 

https://minister.homeaffairs.gov.au/davidcoleman/Pages/Coronavirus-and-Temporary-Visa-holders.aspx1981569285_ScreenShot2020-05-27at5_46_12pm.thumb.png.2e9109be425803d8523a728f4f58f36f.png

If I could not bring my hours back to Sep 2020 this year (Requirement for work full time is 1 year), do I need to continue working until I meet the requirement. 

I am so worried right now. Any one please suggest. 
Thank you so much.

Edited by wokeuplikediss

• 2 weeks later...

There have been suggestions that the Government may allow some concessions for a range of visas due to COVOD19, but there have been no clear announcements made by the Government yet in this regard.

It would require a change to the Regulations or at least Policy, which is difficult and can take time.

Only time will tell.

• Like 1

I can't really see why this will be an issue.

With a 887 visa you need to:

• Work in the region for 1 year minimum 35 hours a week.
  • Live in the region for 2 years.

Considering you only migrated in September 2019 you still have a while before the meet the 2 year residence requirement. Assuming you are going to carry on working, by time you meet the 2 year residence requirement you should have gained (or be very close to) the required 1 year work experience.

Edited by JetBlast
  • Like 1