888 processing time

On 02/04/2021 at 08:50, Leni W said:

Another family friend applied August 2019 (20 months) and are also still waiting. Yes it's very frustrating 😞

Hi Leni,

what is the latest news about your family friend who is in a long waiting for 22 months?

What has happened to their application? 
still waiting?

On 02/06/2021 at 18:30, Shayamali said:

Hi Leni,

what is the latest news about your family friend who is in a long waiting for 22 months?

What has happened to their application? 
still waiting?

They are still waiting. I think it will take 24 months.

Hi Alex,

thank you for sharing the FOI details of this visa 888 a. Do you have recent records? I mean records in 2021? I have heard that this visa has a fast processing time at this moment?

If you know any news regarding this visa process please let us know. I applied April last year 2020. Still waiting and very frustrating 😟

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

We live in Greater Sydney which is under lockdown right now. If someone who live in this area and who knows about more details of Covid 19 disaster payment (one off $500) please let me know.

Does our visa category eligible to get this payment? 

Here are the requirements need to meet for this payment. I’m not sure about our visa category. ??

You need to meet all the eligibility rules to get the payment.

To get it you must meet all of the following:

• you're an Australian resident or hold an eligible working visa
  • you're 17 years or older
  • you don’t get an income support payment, the Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment, a state or territory pandemic payment or a state small business payment for the same period
  • you live or work in a Commonwealth-declared COVID-19 hotspot
  • you had paid employment and because of a COVID-19 lockdown, hotspot or period of restricted movement you can’t attend work on or after day 8
  • you’ve lost income on or after day 8 and don’t have any appropriate paid leave entitlements
  • you have liquid assets of less than $10,000.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh really? But I got a good news from one of my family friends yesterday who was in this visa. They got their PR yesterday.  She applied on January 2020. They waited 20 months. 
I’m also applied from the same lawyer. I have been waiting 17 months now. Hopefully by the end of this year according to their results.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 25/05/2021 at 23:55, Steve Elliott said:

Hi DJT

I spoke to a colleague last night. She does a lot of business visas and she concurred that she advises all clients not to apply for the 888, before they have held the investment for the minimum period for grant. Processing times are certainly accelerating at a rapid speed at the moment.

Just reach out when you are ready.

We’re in the process of applying for our 188C under the new rules and trying to do a bit of forward planning for when we are able to apply for our 888 and are a bit confused about it. We understand that we’re able to apply after 3 years assuming we’ve met the residence requirement. Does this mean the minimum period of grant is now 3 years instead of 4 as some of the documents still say you must have had your investment for 4 years? If so, I assume everything will be updated to reflect that? Also is the 40 days per year the requirement so it would be 120 days after 3 years or would it still need to be based on 4 years? If the processing time is  shorter than 12 months then we’d have a problem if we applied after 3 years but need the investment in place for 4 years. 

8 hours ago, Kimkathleen said:

We’re in the process of applying for our 188C under the new rules and trying to do a bit of forward planning for when we are able to apply for our 888 and are a bit confused about it. We understand that we’re able to apply after 3 years assuming we’ve met the residence requirement. Does this mean the minimum period of grant is now 3 years instead of 4 as some of the documents still say you must have had your investment for 4 years? If so, I assume everything will be updated to reflect that? Also is the 40 days per year the requirement so it would be 120 days after 3 years or would it still need to be based on 4 years? If the processing time is  shorter than 12 months then we’d have a problem if we applied after 3 years but need the investment in place for 4 years. 

Hi Kimkathleen

Yes you are correct. Under the new rules which came into effect on July 1 2021, the 188c is now a 5 year provisional visa which allows you to apply for the 888 once you have held the 188c for 3 years. You can now forget any reference to 4 years as it is not relevant given you are applying under the new framework.

A number of other new measures re the 188c were also introduced on the same date including the composition mix of investments, audit requirements and a few more.

ASIC which is the financial services regulator is also taking more interest in 188c investment providers and the provision of the investment advice relating to the visa. 

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but the DHA website is out of date and you MUST be very careful not to rely on anything published there.

With regards to the residency requirement, this is a pro rata requirement of 40 days per annum, so yes that's 120 days in the three years.

With regards to the holding period of the investments, best practice is to hold the significant complying investment until the 888 is granted.

I was discussing processing times with a colleague yesterday and given the government has given a high priority to business visas we are anticipating that processing times will reduce from the current 12 to 18 months down to a more realistic and palatable 6-9 months. Without knowing  exactly which funds you intend to invest in, you should be prepared to hold your VCPE investment for at least five years. Your country of origin can also have a bearing on processing times as the majority of applications actually processed in Hong Kong. The complexity of the application (usually around the source of funds) can also have a bearing.

I have been advising a young person who won the lottery here in Australia and whose 188c is being lodged today. The passport is from a country which will likely be processed here in Australia. I would expect the application to be processed relatively quickly given passport and simplicity of the source of funds. 

Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions.

13 hours ago, Kimkathleen said:

Hi again

I have just been reviewing the latest regulations for another 188c client today and as long as the 188c visa (not the investment) has been held for a minimum of three years, the 888 can be granted. 

Another factor which is frequently overlooked is that each state and territiory has the ability to set its own criteria for investment requirements which is in ADDITION to the DHA requirements. This is critically important as some of the larger states are setting higher bars than the minimum in order to be more selective re who they nominate. It is critically important you comply with these requirements as, if you are not aware of them and don't comply, your visa could still be granted but you may well face difficulties when applying for the 888, as your require state nomination at that stage too. You don't want the process to fall over at the final stage.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steve Elliott said:

Hi Kimkathleen

Yes you are correct. Under the new rules which came into effect on July 1 2021, the 188c is now a 5 year provisional visa which allows you to apply for the 888 once you have held the 188c for 3 years. You can now forget any reference to 4 years as it is not relevant given you are applying under the new framework.

A number of other new measures re the 188c were also introduced on the same date including the composition mix of investments, audit requirements and a few more.

ASIC which is the financial services regulator is also taking more interest in 188c investment providers and the provision of the investment advice relating to the visa. 

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from but the DHA website is out of date and you MUST be very careful not to rely on anything published there.

With regards to the residency requirement, this is a pro rata requirement of 40 days per annum, so yes that's 120 days in the three years.

With regards to the holding period of the investments, best practice is to hold the significant complying investment until the 888 is granted.

I was discussing processing times with a colleague yesterday and given the government has given a high priority to business visas we are anticipating that processing times will reduce from the current 12 to 18 months down to a more realistic and palatable 6-9 months. Without knowing  exactly which funds you intend to invest in, you should be prepared to hold your VCPE investment for at least five years. Your country of origin can also have a bearing on processing times as the majority of applications actually processed in Hong Kong. The complexity of the application (usually around the source of funds) can also have a bearing.

I have been advising a young person who won the lottery here in Australia and whose 188c is being lodged today. The passport is from a country which will likely be processed here in Australia. I would expect the application to be processed relatively quickly given passport and simplicity of the source of funds. 

Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your very prompt and helpful reply and is exactly what I wanted to hear as it means a few long holidays and we’ve met the requirements.  I believe we will probably be processed in Adelaide for our 188C as we’re based in the UK and our funds will mainly be from the sale of my husband’s business  which has recently completed with the balance from the sale of a second home, so it should be a fairly simple audit trail. We have already completed our own due diligence on investment companies and plan to go with of the larger companies mainly due to their rigour in ensuring our funds will always be compliant. 

We’ve been nominated by Western Australia and their only stipulation regarding our investments is that we must agree to reinvest our $5m in any WA assets which could include our main residence once we get PR, so we wouldn’t need to pay the eye-watering additional 7% stamp duty. We’ve also agreed a further sum which will be invested in WA prior to applying for our 888. Fortunately, our $5m complying investment does not need to favour WA during the 188 stage so it makes it easier to choose which funds to invest in. 

We’ve received a request today to send a signed letter specifying exactly which of our funds from our SALP will be used for the complying investment, so I’m hoping it means things will move quite quickly now, although we did only lodge our application end of November. 

Thanks again for your reply and I’ll let you know how quickly our 188C gets processed. 

Hi Kimkathleen

Once you have submitted the details of the specific funds, turnaround to issuing the invitation to invest will probably be a fe days. 
They ask for those details so they can cross check the fund manager is registered and has an AFSL. This is not a compliance check, it’s simply an exercise to ensure you have done some research. 

• 3 weeks later...

While not a 888, I was notified today of a 188 application lodged in February 2022 has progressed to the stage of the invitation to invest letter being issued in just 10 calendar days after lodgement. This was a 188c lodged by an agent and no doubt benefitted from priority processing. The fastest before that was 4 months in Oct 2022.  A massive improvement on the old timelines of 6-9 months. Hopefully processing times will improve for the 188b also!

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/01/2022 at 20:06, Shayamali said:

Hi Leni, 

How is going? We are still waiting for a positive outcome no case officer appointed to my file yet. Now we have been waiting 21 months. How about yours? any news regarding 888 A visa processing? 

Hi shayamali, How you going with yours now, any updates? Thanks in advance

On 03/03/2022 at 18:11, Steve Elliott said:

While not a 888, I was notified today of a 188 application lodged in February 2022 has progressed to the stage of the invitation to invest letter being issued in just 10 calendar days after lodgement. This was a 188c lodged by an agent and no doubt benefitted from priority processing. The fastest before that was 4 months in Oct 2022.  A massive improvement on the old timelines of 6-9 months. Hopefully processing times will improve for the 188b also!

Hi Steve, Just wondering about the 888A visa processing time now, is it accelerating? Been waiting for 13 months now

On 26/01/2022 at 21:06, Shayamali said:

Hi Leni, 

How is going? We are still waiting for a positive outcome no case officer appointed to my file yet. Now we have been waiting 21 months. How about yours? any news regarding 888 A visa processing? 

Hi Shayamali,

Sorry I haven't checked here lately. We are still waiting at 22.5 months now. Our friends had theirs granted at 23 months. What about you? Any good news?