You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

SeanCRM

801 Visa Interview

I have finally received an email from DoHA saying that I am eligible to apply for Stage 2 of the partner visa application (Permanent). 

The thing is, my relationship is currently quite rocky and the final application is going to bring up some serious issues. Could somebody please help me:

• What is the likelihood of being interviewed? Is this common practice or random?
  • If my partner and I split after the application has been submitted but before a decision, should I be expected to withdraw the application?
  • How long did you wait after application until you were granted your permanent visa?

Note: my paperwork is all in good shape and I am a UK Citizen residing in Australia. 

3 hours ago, SeanCRM said:

I have finally received an email from DoHA saying that I am eligible to apply for Stage 2 of the partner visa application (Permanent). 

The thing is, my relationship is currently quite rocky and the final application is going to bring up some serious issues. Could somebody please help me:

• What is the likelihood of being interviewed? Is this common practice or random?
  • If my partner and I split after the application has been submitted but before a decision, should I be expected to withdraw the application?
  • How long did you wait after application until you were granted your permanent visa?

Note: my paperwork is all in good shape and I am a UK Citizen residing in Australia. 

Very unlikely to be interviewed, especially at present 

You will be expected to remain in the relationship until a decision is made. If the relationship ends first then you need to inform Immigration as the PR, if granted, is granted on the basis that you are in that relationship. 

Processing times are currently being quoted as 10-19 months for the 801 stage of the application. You have a legal obligation to inform the Department of any change in your relationship status before your visa is granted. Your visa can be cancelled if it was granted on the basis of incorrect information being supplied. 

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. Any comments relate to legislation and policy at date of post. 

Thank you for the replies. I do have every intention of remaining in the relationship, but I'm just trying to establish my options should something go wrong.

It's very hard to settle here when going through a 5 year visa process and having the possibility of getting visa cancelled should my partner decide it's not working at any point. It's like walking a tightrope. I'm just hoping for no interview as this process has already been a challenge for our relationship and I want it to impact my partner the minimum amount possible. 

I would sort your relationship out before you even consider trying to get PR. Emigrating permanently can be mega- stressful without any personal issues! Whatever you do, don’t lie, just not worth the stress.

• Like 1