Error when applying for ciizenship

richev

As of last week it is four years(!) since I visited Australia to active my PR visa (subsequently moving here properly in September 2016), so I was hoping to get started with my Australian citizenship application. 😃

However, I get the following error from the ELodgement page on online.immi.gov.au:

The details provided for the applicant indicate that they are not eligible for this application. The applicant will not be able to continue. Check the applicant's details and amend if necessary. For further information or assistance, use the ImmiAccount Technical Support form to contact the Department.

I've logged a support call, as instructed, so am now waiting.

But, I wanted to ask if anyone else has had this experience, and what they did?

I am also wondering if the issue is my passport details. The UK passport that was associated with my visa application expires later this year, but I applied for and received a replacement 10 year UK passport earlier this year. This new passport is the one I've entered on the citizenship application page.

Any and all suggestions welcomed!

Edited by richev

2 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

You need to meet the residency requirement and it sounds like your residency didn’t start till September 

The residency requirement count starts on the 'activation' trip, as long as the OP hits the required number of days since then. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, paulhand said:

Have you linked your new passport to your visa - that’s the first thing? Are you sure you meet the residence requirement?

I wasn't able to do it via my Immi account, so instead emailed in a completed form 929 earlier this year.

I thought that I met the residency requirements, due to having spent sufficient time in Australia since the visa activation trip:

> away from Australia for no more than 12 months in total in the past 4 years, including no more than 90 days in total in the past 12 months

2 minutes ago, richev said:

I wasn't able to do it via my Immi account, so instead emailed in a completed form 929 earlier this year.

Which passport does VEVO think your visa is linked to?

2 minutes ago, richev said:

I thought that I met the residency requirements, due to having spent sufficient time in Australia since the visa activation trip:

> away from Australia for no more than 12 months in total in the past 4 years, including no more than 90 days in total in the past 12 months

I don't disagree if you meet this criteria - if it's close, then it may be a day counting thing.

6 minutes ago, paulhand said:

Which passport does VEVO think your visa is linked to?

Very good point, thanks! I just checked - it has my old passport number. Do you think that it is safe for me to use this passport number in order to try to proceed with the citizenship process?

Regarding residency requirements, I checked using https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/tools/residence-calculator and it said that I meet the requirements.

1 minute ago, richev said:

Very good point, thanks! I just checked - it has my old passport number. Do you think that it is safe for me to use this passport number in order to try to proceed with the citizenship process?

Regarding residency requirements, I checked using https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/tools/residence-calculator and it said that I meet the requirements.

I'd fix the passport link first if I were you.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, paulhand said:

I'd fix the passport link first if I were you.

I figured it out... When I tried to update my passport details previously I had not added my (approved, finalised) PR visa application to my ImmiAccount. Did that, and then found the link that allows you to update your passport details.

I don't suppose you know how long it takes for new passport details to be processed?

• 3 weeks later...