When to go?

Aussiebird

1 hour ago, Heading4Tassie said:

Think you made the right decision @sydneygal to just go in time to meet your husband's visa initial entry date. I was due to be travelling in April to validate my 100 visa (2nd time flights were booked) but flights were cancelled. Initial entry date was 1 June and I did not make it to validate the visa as so few flights so I will have to deal with DHA again to apply for permission to travel when we book flights again. We were planning to move next month permanently anyway but just wanted to get it validated before the initial entry date. Now we are delaying again as its so difficult when you are also trying to ship your fur baby at the same time at present especially since our quarantine is presently longer than the dog's! I definitely feel nervous about putting plans in place before getting the go ahead I can actually still use my visa my agent has advised it should be fine in timescale we are looking at Oct/Nov. (fingers crossed)

This is what we are afraid of, missing the initial entry date because flights are being cancelled at last minute, according to some posters on here.  I also have recently contacted Emirates and they said they can cancel flights at the last minute, so check 3 days before flight if not heard anything.  Surely this would be a problem for employers to actually allow changes of dates for an employee to have time off?  As i have already mentioned on previous posts, my other half doesn't get to choose his holiday dates in his job, they are given to him, so if he was to book a flight to validate and it was cancelled at last minute, he wouldnt be able to change his holiday period, so we are extremely worried about him getting over to Oz, the time off he has been allocated is in December, so he is very restricted.  Feels like nothing is going our way atm!!!😭😭😭

1 hour ago, Aussiebird said:

This is what we are afraid of, missing the initial entry date because flights are being cancelled at last minute, according to some posters on here.  I also have recently contacted Emirates and they said they can cancel flights at the last minute, so check 3 days before flight if not heard anything.  Surely this would be a problem for employers to actually allow changes of dates for an employee to have time off?  As i have already mentioned on previous posts, my other half doesn't get to choose his holiday dates in his job, they are given to him, so if he was to book a flight to validate and it was cancelled at last minute, he wouldnt be able to change his holiday period, so we are extremely worried about him getting over to Oz, the time off he has been allocated is in December, so he is very restricted.  Feels like nothing is going our way atm!!!😭😭😭

I know it does feel a bit like a Herculean ordeal atm but I just keep telling myself one day we will look back on our trials and tribulations in selling a house and relocating ourselves, possessions and fur baby to the otherside of the world during a global pandemic and laugh about it 😂

5 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

This is what we are afraid of, missing the initial entry date because flights are being cancelled at last minute, according to some posters on here.  I also have recently contacted Emirates and they said they can cancel flights at the last minute, so check 3 days before flight if not heard anything.  Surely this would be a problem for employers to actually allow changes of dates for an employee to have time off? 

Flights were always likely to be cancelled at the last minute, even before Covid, so of course Qatar would say that.   I've had it happen to me - the most memorable was when the flight was cancelled after I'd arrived at the airport (engine trouble).   The only difference now is that flights are less frequent, so if  a flight is cancelled, there are fewer alternative flights they can transfer you to. 

As I said before - book a flight to Sydney, because Qatar has a few flights to Sydney every day.  If one is cancelled then he will be transferred to the next available one, so it won't disrupt anything.   If he has to stay in quarantine, he won't be allowed to see family anyway.   He's going for the activation and that's your priority.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Heading4Tassie said:

Think you made the right decision @sydneygal to just go in time to meet your husband's visa initial entry date. I was due to be travelling in April to validate my 100 visa (2nd time flights were booked) but flights were cancelled. Initial entry date was 1 June and I did not make it to validate the visa as so few flights so I will have to deal with DHA again to apply for permission to travel when we book flights again. We were planning to move next month permanently anyway but just wanted to get it validated before the initial entry date. Now we are delaying again as its so difficult when you are also trying to ship your fur baby at the same time at present especially since our quarantine is presently longer than the dog's! I definitely feel nervous about putting plans in place before getting the go ahead I can actually still use my visa my agent has advised it should be fine in timescale we are looking at Oct/Nov. (fingers crossed)

Beware of the dog with changing rules - I appreciate you are now not travelling for a few months but currently there are major problems getting dogs (and other pets) into Australia as they have to be imported through Melbourne, which is currently not accepting international passenger flights. 

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Flights were always likely to be cancelled at the last minute, even before Covid, so of course Qatar would say that.   I've had it happen to me - the most memorable was when the flight was cancelled after I'd arrived at the airport (engine trouble).   The only difference now is that flights are less frequent, so if  a flight is cancelled, there are fewer alternative flights they can transfer you to. 

As I said before - book a flight to Sydney, because Qatar has a few flights to Sydney every day.  If one is cancelled then he will be transferred to the next available one, so it won't disrupt anything.   If he has to stay in quarantine, he won't be allowed to see family anyway.   He's going for the activation and that's your priority.

Oh yes I see what you mean! That makes perfect sense,  i will speak to him later about it. If we do manage to sell our house soon, then it wont be a problem, because work wont be the issue once he has left the job. 😁😁😁

Is Sydney one of the places where he would have to pay for quarantine? It's just so he is aware and has the money to do so before he books a flight. 

Edited by Aussiebird
  • Like 1

Oh yes I see what you mean! That makes perfect sense,  i will speak to him later about it. If we do manage to sell our house soon, then it wont be a problem, because work wont be the issue once he has left the job. 😁😁😁

Is Sydney one of the places where he would have to pay for quarantine? It's just so he is aware and has the money to do so before he books a flight. 

I think if he’s not flying till Christmas they will all be charging by then

10 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Beware of the dog with changing rules - I appreciate you are now not travelling for a few months but currently there are major problems getting dogs (and other pets) into Australia as they have to be imported through Melbourne, which is currently not accepting international passenger flights. 

Thanks for the advice Nemesis the fur baby is the reason we keep moving the dates tbh. If it was just us we would bite the bullet and just take what comes as the borders open and close but with the dog it is a totally different story and whole set of things to factor in.

13 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

We have accepted an offer on our house (yesterday) so hopefully we will be there by the end of the year.

It looks like further cap on arrivals into WA? Anyone heard about this recently please? 

TIA xx

There will be a restriction of the number of people entering WA from overseas to 525 per week initially for 4 weeks (then reviewed).  From July 17th you will have to pay for the 14 day quarantine  https://www.wa.gov.au/organisation/department-of-the-premier-and-cabinet/covid-19-coronavirus-travel-wa

1 hour ago, ali said:

There will be a restriction of the number of people entering WA from overseas to 525 per week initially for 4 weeks (then reviewed).  From July 17th you will have to pay for the 14 day quarantine  https://www.wa.gov.au/organisation/department-of-the-premier-and-cabinet/covid-19-coronavirus-travel-wa

Thank you for the reply Ali.  I wonder if quarantine can be paid for in different ways to help people who don't have the money up front?  Does anyone have any information on this please? Also, how do we find out how much it will be? Surely we can find out? 

Thank you xx

Edited by Aussiebird

25 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

Thank you for the reply Ali.  I wonder if quarantine can be paid for in different ways to help people who don't have the money up front?  Does anyone have any information on this please? Also, how do we find out how much it will be? Surely we can find out? 

Thank you xx

It' s going to depend on the State I believe. This info is about NSW:

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/australia-sydney-quarantine-hotel-cost

1 minute ago, Drumbeat said:

It' s going to depend on the State I believe. This info is about NSW:

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/australia-sydney-quarantine-hotel-cost

Ok thank you.  I cant find any information for WA and flying into Perth or which hotel we will be directed too,  we need to find out the cost of all this so we can adjust our budgeting etc......

6 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

Ok thank you.  I cant find any information for WA and flying into Perth or which hotel we will be directed too,  we need to find out the cost of all this so we can adjust our budgeting etc......

I don't think the cost has been announced in WA yet.

On 07/07/2020 at 19:06, Heading4Tassie said:

Thanks for the advice Nemesis the fur baby is the reason we keep moving the dates tbh. If it was just us we would bite the bullet and just take what comes as the borders open and close but with the dog it is a totally different story and whole set of things to factor in.

I know of someone that flew their dog London to Melbourne and arrived on Friday last week (to commence it's 10 days quarantine in the pet facility). 

Seemingly Qatar (possibly others) are flying empty passenger planes but full of cargo to keep the business ticking over. Since pets travel in the cargo hold, they are currently still able to travel (albeit with less flight options). Might be worth exploring.

I know from personal experience there are companies that can collect pets from the Melbourne facility and transport them to an interstate flight, if you were to be located outside Victoria.

• Like 2

Does anyoneknow if the Pan Pacific Hotel in Perth is where you go for quarantine?  I'm sure I've read on here someone was staying there during quarantine? 

Are there going to be more than one quarantine hotel in Perth?

Each State has a list of hotels which have agreed to be used. You will not know for sure until you arrive. 

7 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Does anyoneknow if the Pan Pacific Hotel in Perth is where you go for quarantine?  I'm sure I've read on here someone was staying there during quarantine? 

Are there going to be more than one quarantine hotel in Perth?

They are using a number of hotels - you won't get to choose, they just put you on a bus.  Cost doesn't seem to have been announced yet.  The hotels are in the CBD - I know Pan Pacific, Westin and Novotel Langley were being used (but there may be different ones when you arrive).  The Duxton was used for the homeless, but they're now advertising for guests so unlikely to be being used as a quarantine hotel.  The cost elsewhere has been about $200 pp, probably less for children under a certain age).

45 minutes ago, palaceboy1 said:

I know WA has a travel embargo of 525 arrivals per week by air , what happens if you arrive by cruise , can you enter this way on PR.

They haven't been letting cruise ships dock in WA

15 minutes ago, ali said:

They are using a number of hotels - you won't get to choose, they just put you on a bus.  Cost doesn't seem to have been announced yet.  The hotels are in the CBD - I know Pan Pacific, Westin and Novotel Langley were being used (but there may be different ones when you arrive).  The Duxton was used for the homeless, but they're now advertising for guests so unlikely to be being used as a quarantine hotel.  The cost elsewhere has been about $200 pp, probably less for children under a certain age).

and thats $200 pp per day

3 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

😳😳😳😳😳😳

Currently using Novotel Murray, Westin, Hyatt has just been added this weekend .. I can't remember the other two (left my list at work after making a note to tell you).  Pan Pacific wasn't on the list

20 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I know of someone that flew their dog London to Melbourne and arrived on Friday last week (to commence it's 10 days quarantine in the pet facility). 

Seemingly Qatar (possibly others) are flying empty passenger planes but full of cargo to keep the business ticking over. Since pets travel in the cargo hold, they are currently still able to travel (albeit with less flight options). Might be worth exploring.

I know from personal experience there are companies that can collect pets from the Melbourne facility and transport them to an interstate flight, if you were to be located outside Victoria.

Thanks @MacGyver for the info good to know it is still possible atm. So many plans keep having to be changed and adapted at present this is now year 3 of our planned move getting all our ducks in a row (paperwork, partner visa, house sale etc) think we may have to just decide to go without having all the ducks lined up since they keep  'running off' on an tangent. 😂 3 times flights have been booked now.