When to go?

Aussiebird

Hello to you,

As a dual Citizen and with my other half been granted his 309/100 visa back in February,  we are just waiting to see when flights to Perth will resume from UK.

Will we have to have special permission to leave UK to make the move, even if it's in for example, 6 months time?  Would we also have to self isolate for 2 weeks when we arrive too?

Ive been looking at flights to Perth, some showing with Emirates (i put dates in of November,  January) but other airlines hardly showing any flights.

I don't even know if WA borders are still closed atm? 

TIA. Xx

As a citizen and PR you would be allowed in to Australia, however you might need to apply for one of these https://www.wa.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-04/border-closures-160420.pdf

Who knows how long the 14 day quarantine lasts - or whether you might have to pay for it yourself?  Not possible to say at this point.

We are waiting to see what happens, although we also have a house to sell, so likley to be next year.

57 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

As a citizen and PR you would be allowed in to Australia, however you might need to apply for one of these https://www.wa.gov.au/sites/default/files/2020-04/border-closures-160420.pdf

Who knows how long the 14 day quarantine lasts - or whether you might have to pay for it yourself?  Not possible to say at this point.

We are waiting to see what happens, although we also have a house to sell, so likley to be next year.

Thanks for the reply Jon the Hat, we also have a house to sell and are thinking of putting it on the market in the next month or two and see what happens.  We are so desperate to go and it's very frustrating at the moment.   We may also have to wait until next year too if things do not improve!  

As Jon said, difficult to predict how long having to quarantine will stay in place for - WA's most recent case was someone coming into contact with someone in quarantine.  I don't think the government will be able to afford to sustain paying for quarantine.  My one worry at this time would be getting employment quickly.  Some businesses might be lost due to having to close during this time and might not be able to recover.

I seem to recall your husband was less eager to return than you.   In those circumstances, I would be very cautious.  You don't want to arrive and find that he struggles to get a job, because that can so easily turn into a "why did I let you drag me back" scenario.   We have 600,000 out of work and rising due to the coronavirus and it's going to be several months before that improves.

7 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Hello to you,

As a dual Citizen and with my other half been granted his 309/100 visa back in February,  we are just waiting to see when flights to Perth will resume from UK.

Will we have to have special permission to leave UK to make the move, even if it's in for example, 6 months time?  Would we also have to self isolate for 2 weeks when we arrive too?

Ive been looking at flights to Perth, some showing with Emirates (i put dates in of November,  January) but other airlines hardly showing any flights.

TIA. Xx

The Australian government has said that international travel restrictions will be the last thing to be lifted. Originally they said they'd be in place till at least September, but now most experts are saying they will have to continue well into next year.  So yes, I'd assume you'll have to apply for an exemption to bring your husband in.  You don't need permission.

I have no idea whether either of you will need permission to leave the UK, sorry.

Borders are still closed and I suspect they'll remain so for some time.  WA has the virus under control but some other states haven't, so in their shoes I wouldn't want to import the problem

15 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Hello to you,

TIA. Xx

Hiya

I am booking my flights end of June, I have spoken with home affairs and they have said I am free to travel on my 190 visa even though I haven't activated it.

Flights will be Manchester - Melbourne with Qatar airways £3100 ish for 4 of us.

14 day quarantine in Melbourne (paid for at present) that probably will change at some point but at the minute only NT charge you and for a family of 2 or more it is $5000 for the 14 days.

I am then going to hire a car and spend a few days travelling to Adelaide (if hotels are open).

I have emailed SA gov about crossing the border and they have told me that the police will stop me but I just need to show the address which I will be stopping at so that I can 14 day self isolate.

If you look at flights start of July & onwards I think they are just what would normally be running, so I would pay much attention to them.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Hiya

I am booking my flights end of June, I have spoken with home affairs and they have said I am free to travel on my 190 visa even though I haven't activated it.

Flights will be Manchester - Melbourne with Qatar airways £3100 ish for 4 of us.

14 day quarantine in Melbourne (paid for at present) that probably will change at some point but at the minute only NT charge you and for a family of 2 or more it is $5000 for the 14 days.

I am then going to hire a car and spend a few days travelling to Adelaide (if hotels are open).

I have emailed SA gov about crossing the border and they have told me that the police will stop me but I just need to show the address which I will be stopping at so that I can 14 day self isolate.

If you look at flights start of July & onwards I think they are just what would normally be running, so I would pay much attention to them.

Well done, have a safe and happy journey 😊

How did you go getting travel insurance ? 

42 minutes ago, AliQ said:

Well done, have a safe and happy journey 😊

How did you go getting travel insurance ? 

Taken form an insurance page:

What AREN'T insurers covering?

• If the FCO travel restrictions are still in place when you are due to travel, you will have no or very limited cover.
• You will not be covered for cancellation if it's related to the travel restrictions or COVID-19.
• Insurers treat COVID-19 as a "known event", so they will exclude it from most cover.

What ARE insurers covering?

• If the FCO removes the travel restrictions to your destination before the start of your trip, the terms and conditions of your policy will apply.
• Cancellation cover for reasons that are not related to COVID-19 (e.g. unexpected death, injury or illness). This will vary by insurer and you may need to prove your circumstances (e.g. provide a doctor's note).
• Should your travel dates move, the insurer will look to change your single trip policy to match the new dates without an admin fee, provided the date is within 12 months and the holiday is like for like. If your trip is different (e.g. destination or duration of trip), or if there has been a change to your health you may have to pay more.

So the cancellation part doesn't matter as the airlines are allowing you to change the dates free of charge.

I only really need cover on my baggage, which I can get.

29 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Didn't even think of that in all honesty.

Would you just get it to cover a few days ?

Yes, it's essential. As well as covering your luggage, what if you fell over in the transit airport and broke your arm ? anything could happen during the actual journey, just think of the costs if the plane had to make an emergency landing somewhere because you got sick. We will take out one way insurance to cover just the journey there, 48 hours is enough.

But as you know, there will no cover for coronavirus issues.

Would be interested to know how you get on with this. Good luck.

18 minutes ago, AliQ said:

Yes, it's essential. As well as covering your luggage, what if you fell over in the transit airport and broke your arm ? anything could happen during the actual journey, just think of the costs if the plane had to make an emergency landing somewhere because you got sick. We will take out one way insurance to cover just the journey there, 48 hours is enough.

But as you know, there will no cover for coronavirus issues.

Would be interested to know how you get on with this. Good luck.

I did do a quick quote and it came back at £20 for the 4 of us for 4days.

Ill let you know when I book

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I seem to recall your husband was less eager to return than you.   In those circumstances, I would be very cautious.  You don't want to arrive and find that he struggles to get a job, because that can so easily turn into a "why did I let you drag me back" scenario.   We have 600,000 out of work and rising due to the coronavirus and it's going to be several months before that improves.

Things have changed and he/we cannot wait to go back, even if we  have to wait. 

11 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The Australian government has said that international travel restrictions will be the last thing to be lifted. Originally they said they'd be in place till at least September, but now most experts are saying they will have to continue well into next year.  So yes, I'd assume you'll have to apply for an exemption to bring your husband in.  You don't need permission.

I have no idea whether either of you will need permission to leave the UK, sorry.

Borders are still closed and I suspect they'll remain so for some time.  WA has the virus under control but some other states haven't, so in their shoes I wouldn't want to import the problem

How does he apply for an exemption? X

I have just checked the Department of Immigration and it clearly states only to fill in the exemption form online if planning to travel to Australia within the next 3 months.  If not travelling in the next 3 months, to check the website regularly for changes.

19 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Thanks for the reply Jon the Hat, we also have a house to sell and are thinking of putting it on the market in the next month or two and see what happens.  We are so desperate to go and it's very frustrating at the moment.   We may also have to wait until next year too if things do not improve!  

I have just checked the Department of Immigration and it clearly states only to fill in the exemption form online if planning to travel to Australia within the next 3 months.  If not travelling in the next 3 months, to check the website regularly for changes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/05/2020 at 17:25, Aussiebird said:

Hello to you,

TIA. Xx

Hi,

we are literally in exactly the same situation, I’m dual citizen, husband got his 309/100 in Feb and we are moving to Perth. We moved out of our house last week and are staying with family. Keen to know when we can get flights to Perth. Currently the airport is shut. Hoping Qantas might put some more reparation flights on soon....let me know if you find out  any more info As I seem to be spending hours with not much result! 

x

9 hours ago, Reboz said:

Hi,

we are literally in exactly the same situation, I’m dual citizen, husband got his 309/100 in Feb and we are moving to Perth. We moved out of our house last week and are staying with family. Keen to know when we can get flights to Perth. Currently the airport is shut. Hoping Qantas might put some more reparation flights on soon....let me know if you find out  any more info As I seem to be spending hours with not much result! 

x

He Reboz,

I have juct checked Perth Airport online, it is open, restrictions for food outlets etc....in place, WA borders are closed to flights within Australia, unless essential workers.... flights into WA from outside Australia and permitted but 14 day quarantine will take place, like yourselves, we are exempt from completing a form online to travel to Australia, but flights are few and far between.  Please let me know if you find any and book soon?  We have to sell our home first so wont be booking flights for a while, just hope things dont get worse and we cant sell!! Great you have sold anyway and are in a better position to continue with your plans.  How have your family reacted to you still going ahead? We are expecting a war probably!! X

10 hours ago, Reboz said:

Hi,

we are literally in exactly the same situation, I’m dual citizen, husband got his 309/100 in Feb and we are moving to Perth. We moved out of our house last week and are staying with family. Keen to know when we can get flights to Perth. Currently the airport is shut

x

Are you sure of that?

11 hours ago, Reboz said:

Hi,

x

The airport is definitely not closed, Qatar are still flying in. 14 days quarantine is required on arrival.

4 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

The airport is definitely not closed, Qatar are still flying in. 14 days quarantine is required on arrival.

How do you go about quarantine though? Who knows that you are flying over with regards to your flight etc.....How much has to be paid to go into quarantine? 

28 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

How do you go about quarantine though? Who knows that you are flying over with regards to your flight etc.....How much has to be paid to go into quarantine? 

They will just flag you up when you board the flight, I rang home affairs asking the same thing because I was thinking the same as you, thinking that you cant just roll up and have a room. They just told me that its sorted at the airport.

Quarantine is paid for by the Aus gov at the minute, only NT charge at present and for 2 or more its $5000 for 2 weeks. Food and drink is also included.

My worry was that eventually everyone will have to pay for there quarantine themselves, so if I can avoid that then it's a bonus.

13 minutes ago, Lavers said:

They will just flag you up when you board the flight, I rang home affairs asking the same thing because I was thinking the same as you, thinking that you cant just roll up and have a room. They just told me that its sorted at the airport.

Quarantine is paid for by the Aus gov at the minute, only NT charge at present and for 2 or more its $5000 for 2 weeks. Food and drink is also included.

My worry was that eventually everyone will have to pay for there quarantine themselves, so if I can avoid that then it's a bonus.

I also thought about transition through another airport on the way over, how does that work during the virus?

I suppose if the quarantine last for many months then they may start charging in other states, but it's an expense we could do without!!  And I've read some reviews in other states that the hotels are not brilliant, limited food, awful food etc....no deliveries allowed etc....

1 hour ago, Aussiebird said:

I also thought about transition through another airport on the way over, how does that work during the virus?

I suppose if the quarantine last for many months then they may start charging in other states, but it's an expense we could do without!!  And I've read some reviews in other states that the hotels are not brilliant, limited food, awful food etc....no deliveries allowed etc....

I'd have thought that we would just be frog marched from one aircraft to the next.

I've read mixed reviews about qaurantine so I'm hoping that it's not to bad, although it's going to be hard locked in a small room with 2 kids.

A few reviews said that you could upgrade your food for a fee and buy alcohol if you wanted.

I will struggle with not having fresh air as I'm use to running or cycling most days.

Edited by Lavers