Just a general chat on visas

Cbcsj

Hi there,

First of all I am new to online forum chats and I know not everyone is kind but with the state of the world right now all I ask is kindness in replying for a newbie.

I'm a 30 year old single mum. With no qualifications but looking to change that hopefully. I have two kids. 10 and 7. Their Daddy died and I look for a new life somewhere else, fresh start. I have some savings and always dreamed of going to Australia just to check it out for a holiday and if we are lucky enough to stay but I know that is near enough impossible to stay. I have friends in Darwin but id like to see other parts too.

Any help on getting on the right path for this would be greatly appreciated. 

Catherine 😊

Hi Catherine

Unfortunately without both qualifications and experience in a job which is on the skills shortage list there are very few routes to migrate permanently or even temporarily to Australia.

If you really want it in the long term you can train and work in a job on the list, however you may find that by the time you get the experience you need (often years) that skill is no longer in demand.

Or you could find a nice Australian man, fall in love and make it that way!  Has to be genuine of course!

• Like 1

I'm afraid it will have to stay a pipe dream.  As Jon the Hat says, Australia is very fussy about who it accepts.  There is a short list of occupations they want. If you work in one of those occupations, then you might get a visa, IF you have the right qualifications and experience and IF you can score enough points.  Otherwise, you have absolutely zero chance. 

The thing is, even if you could get the visa, you probably couldn't have the lifestyle you're dreaming of in Australia.   Most Australians can't afford to live by the beach.   Those youngsters on Home & Away couldn't actually afford to live there - where the series is filmed, the houses cost millions of dollars.  It's understandable that you feel the need for a fresh start, but maybe a new part of the UK would be easier to achieve?

• Like 2

On 15/05/2020 at 10:27, Marisawright said:

The thing is, even if you could get the visa, you probably couldn't have the lifestyle you're dreaming of in Australia.   Most Australians can't afford to live by the beach.

This isn't strictly true. Most Australians live in places reasonably considered coastal. The issue isn't proximity to the beach, but proximity to cities where most of the work is found. The further out you live, the more affordable your expenses will be, but the less likely you may be to find work. There are many affordable places near much nicer, wilder beaches than you find close to the city, but your commute will be horrific or your work will pay less. It's a fine balance, but don't be discouraged. Many do make it work.

I'd say an extended holiday might be on the cards but not just now with a lot of restrictions in place. As for coming here permanently not much chance of that unless you can get a skill that is wanted. Something to work towards? There are loads of lovely beach areas that are cheap but mostly you have to have either medical skills or something wanted in country areas to be able to get a job. Another issue might be the schools- some of the country schools aren't crash hot, depends whether you care about that or not.  On the other hand you do get a mark up if you have been to a disadvantaged school at university entrance ( way down the track for your kids)