register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Cowact

Entering before 309 visa granted

Hi there,

My wife (Korean) has applied for 309 partner visa in March 2020. 

I'm not sure if it's due to COVID-19, but nothing has been updated yet since she submitted her application.

No CO allocation or contact. 

However, we need to move to Australia by this September because of my job.

Is it okay her to stay in Australia with traveler visa (or any other visa available that she can get independently), and wait until 309 gets granted?

Or should we stay overseas? 

Any info or opinion is welcome guys :)

Hi,

I don’t have answer as such - I applied for my partner visa September 2019 and it still shows as received, no case officer or requests for information. 

We also plan to head to Australia in September so I am going to apply for the exemption to travel and then a visitor visa but I don’t know if this will be successful. 

Applied from London - 6th September 2019 

Medical uploaded 17th Jan

AFP clearance uploaded 27th Jan 

UK police clearance uploaded 23rd March 

Australian husband - together 10 years, married 7.
2 children with dual citizenship.

Applied for a travel exemption 14th June 

2 hours ago, Cowact said:

My wife (Korean) has applied for 309 partner visa in March 2020. 

Yes it's far too soon to hear anything - you only applied two months ago!   See processing times:  https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/global-visa-processing-times

309/100 visa application lodged 28/08/13 | Visa sub-class 309 granted 09/05/14 | Arrived NSW 27/05/15 | 100 (PR) visa application lodged 27/09/15 | PR granted 13/04/16 | Citizenship application lodged 18/06/19 | Citizenship test invite 02/03/20 | Citizenship test 27/04/20 Postponed on 7/04/20

As above - way too soon to expect anything. You don’t get ‘allocated a case officer’ - you hear from them if and when they want something. If your application is decision ready - the first you hear may be the grant. 

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. 

I submitted 3rd July and mine still says received, I  thought I’d have heard something by now. I could really do with my visa before August and I hope London picks up processing soon again. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Tmduk said:

I submitted 3rd July and mine still says received, I  thought I’d have heard something by now. I could really do with my visa before August and I hope London picks up processing soon again. 

Why would you think that?  It takes several months for a partner visa to be processed, even when things are normal.   I'd say your chances of being approved by September are zero.

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Why would you think that?  It takes several months for a partner visa to be processed, even when things are normal.   I'd say your chances of being approved by September are zero.

Not sure if you quoted the wrong person, but by August this year it will have been 13 months waiting for me, doesn’t seem unreasonable for London embassy. Covid-19 might have scuppered my chances though. 

On 14/05/2020 at 18:58, lepea said:

Hi,

I don’t have answer as such - I applied for my partner visa September 2019 and it still shows as received, no case officer or requests for information. 

We also plan to head to Australia in September so I am going to apply for the exemption to travel and then a visitor visa but I don’t know if this will be successful. 

It seems we are on the same boat. We might do the same. Please keep posting here how you guys are doing, I'll share my updates as well 🙂

Posted (edited)

@Cowact

Hi, I applied for my exemption on Sunday. Obviously no news yet but thought I’d drop in to update. Decided to not apply for a visitor visa but hopIng that the exemption tiggers my partner visa to be looked at. 

Edited by lepea

Applied from London - 6th September 2019 

Medical uploaded 17th Jan

AFP clearance uploaded 27th Jan 

UK police clearance uploaded 23rd March 

Australian husband - together 10 years, married 7.
2 children with dual citizenship.

Applied for a travel exemption 14th June 

1 hour ago, lepea said:

@Cowact

Hi, I applied for my exemption on Sunday. Obviously no news yet but thought I’d drop in to update. Decided to not apply for a visitor visa but hopIng that the exemption tiggers my partner visa to be looked at. 

I will be in same boat shortly, i have PR and need to return to Australia before end of August (TF expiring ). But my partner has no visa at all, we were planning on returning together and applying for an onshore partner visa but no we are unsure if perhaps applying offshore now might be a better decision. I just hope he can get an exemption and fly with me if we do have to go soon . Be interested in what comes of your application, fingers crossed for you