Perth or Sydney?

Drazic

On 23/05/2020 at 16:12, AliQ said:

We're currently living in the Derbyshire Dales, we can easily spend ten pounds on parking if we visit different places in one day, and we have a resident's parking permit too (very limited hours for free parking)

That's interesting @AliQ. I grew up in the Derbyshire Dales (not far from Bakewell), and lived there for 35 years - 1970-2000, and also for the last 5 years. More recently we lived in Cairns until 2014, when we went back to the UK to care for my mum until the end of her life. I'd lived in Brisbane for about 4 years (2003-2007) and loved it, so we're in the process of moving back to Australia. However, my wife has been stuck in the UK and our house sale recently fell through, so the move back is not going very well! I love the Dales, and I'm now feeling a little homesick as a couple of my friends have been posting pictures of the lovely Derbyshire countryside on Facebook. The summer time in Britain is so short though (even with good weather), and before you know it it's 1 October. There are 6-7 months in the Peak District when it's pretty grim, to be honest. One of the reasons I came back to Brissie is that there's some lovely countryside not too far from here; the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast Hinterlands are stunning, and also Northern NSW, although that's a bit far for a day trip. I couldn't imagine living in parts of Australia that are completely flat, and all there is is the beach. In general I'd agree that there's 'less to do' here when comparing Australia to the UK, as in specific activities or sightseeing, but I've never been bored here. I've always found that I've needed to do less here because the weather's so nice. When I'm not working I'm happy to spend time in the garden, going for a bike ride, or pottering out around. It's not all about going to the beach, but that's an option any time of year in Queensland. I'm not sure how I'll feel when I get older, and I'm not able to enjoy the great outdoors like I am now. Maybe I'll want to return to the UK to enjoy a more cerebral lifestyle in my old age!

By the way, I've never paid for parking anywhere in Derbyshire (except for Edale and Castleton), as you can usually find a spot somewhere if you don't mind a bit of a walk. I appreciate that's not so easy if you have children though.

On 14/05/2020 at 08:26, Marisawright said:

Gut feeling is everything. What you’re asking is like, “I’m moving to the UK, should I live in London or Aberdeen?” They’re such different places. 

I lived in Sydney for 30 years and loved it, but can’t afford to live there in retirement. I wouldn’t live in Perth if you paid me - perfectly nice place, but the vibe just doesn’t tuit me. I’m too used to a big-city buzz. 

Whereas I have friends from Sydney who never liked Sydney much and are now happy as a pig in mud in Perth. Horses for courses.

Sydneyvis bloody expensive if you want to live anywhere nice. The outer suburbs of Sydney are a depressing desert of McMansions, you might as well be in Milton Keynes. 

If you can cope with a quieter city then I’d go to Newcastle not Perth. Good cafe culture and fabulous beaches, on the doorstep of the wine country AND only a couple of hours on the train to the bright lights of Sydney when you need it.

Where do you live now Marissa? I seem to recall you were in my home town, Southampton for a while? Woolston?? I'm now in my eleventh year back in Surry Hills (Sydney) after twelve years in The New Forest, though in a different village - Marchwood - to the one where I was brought up - Blackfield. I still own the house in Marchwood, which used to be my parents. I think I should have sold it after my Dad died but I was too sentimental. I've not been back to England.

On 20/05/2020 at 11:59, Paul1Perth said:

Interesting times when you came Maryrose. A lot tougher those days, travelling by bus, not knowing what you were going to. Would be hard to move now I reckon if your friends are in Sydney. I guess you could make some money if you moved though.

I would not do the long distance buses again. I remember going up to Brisbane from Sydney in 1979 and waking in the morning with a hangover the day of the trip, something I would never risk now. It might be nice to get the Indian Pacific one day as long as I had a sleeper of course. I thought the Indian Pacific was the only way to get to Broken Hill by train but a guy I know who works for Sydney Trains told me there is a NSW service. I looked it up and it leaves about 20 past 6 in the morning and gets to BH 12-13 hours later.

Perhaps I'm a little sentimental about Perth because I was there two years ago this month and thirteen weeks was long enough for me get to know it quite well. My friend inviting me to stay with her was also appealing although I fancy I'd be happier in my own place nearby. Perhaps, in my heart I know it would be nice to spend a few weeks there but Sydney is home. But if I get a chance to come again it would be nice to see what the vibe is like. I watched your Premier on TV last night and the way he was talking it sounded like he wants to close the borders permanently! It made me react in my own parochial way and vow to stop buying wines from WA and SA and specifically look for NSW wines!

You are probably right. I could get a nice place in Perth if I sold my Sydney flat (and UK house) and bought a place over there. I think you mentioned living in Como for a year and it was 20 minutes drive to Freemantle? So, not unlike Surry Hills to the Eastern Suburbs beaches for me - 20 to 30 minutes to Bronte and Clovelly (7-8km). I love the beach but prefer to live near the city and South Perth fits that bill, although not exactly like Surry Hills. Is there a Surry Hills in Perth?! Freo perhaps with its old homes and Northbridge had a little of the same vibe.

21 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I would not do the long distance buses again. I remember going up to Brisbane from Sydney in 1979 and waking in the morning with a hangover the day of the trip, something I would never risk now. It might be nice to get the Indian Pacific one day as long as I had a sleeper of course. I thought the Indian Pacific was the only way to get to Broken Hill by train but a guy I know who works for Sydney Trains told me there is a NSW service. I looked it up and it leaves about 20 past 6 in the morning and gets to BH 12-13 hours later.

Perhaps I'm a little sentimental about Perth because I was there two years ago this month and thirteen weeks was long enough for me get to know it quite well. My friend inviting me to stay with her was also appealing although I fancy I'd be happier in my own place nearby. Perhaps, in my heart I know it would be nice to spend a few weeks there but Sydney is home. But if I get a chance to come again it would be nice to see what the vibe is like. I watched your Premier on TV last night and the way he was talking it sounded like he wants to close the borders permanently! It made me react in my own parochial way and vow to stop buying wines from WA and SA and specifically look for NSW wines!

You are probably right. I could get a nice place in Perth if I sold my Sydney flat (and UK house) and bought a place over there. I think you mentioned living in Como for a year and it was 20 minutes drive to Freemantle? So, not unlike Surry Hills to the Eastern Suburbs beaches for me - 20 to 30 minutes to Bronte and Clovelly (7-8km). I love the beach but prefer to live near the city and South Perth fits that bill, although not exactly like Surry Hills. Is there a Surry Hills in Perth?! Freo perhaps with its old homes and Northbridge had a little of the same vibe.

South Perth is nice Maryrose. Always out of our price range but we wanted to be nearer the beach than the City. 

Good spot for most things though South Perth. A short ferry ride to Elizabeth Quay but removed from the main City with a nice river foreshore. Nice cafes and bike paths, zoo and easy access to the freeways. Has a lot going for it.

I think Mark McGowan would have been joking when he talked about the borders, he likes a laugh and wouldn't put it past him to wind the press up. I reckon another couple of weeks and they'll be open again. Albeit with a lot of testing.

• Like 1

On 26/05/2020 at 02:45, Wanderer Returns said:

That's interesting @AliQ. I grew up in the Derbyshire Dales (not far from Bakewell), and lived there for 35 years - 1970-2000, and also for the last 5 years. More recently we lived in Cairns until 2014, when we went back to the UK to care for my mum until the end of her life. I'd lived in Brisbane for about 4 years (2003-2007) and loved it, so we're in the process of moving back to Australia. However, my wife has been stuck in the UK and our house sale recently fell through, so the move back is not going very well! I love the Dales, and I'm now feeling a little homesick as a couple of my friends have been posting pictures of the lovely Derbyshire countryside on Facebook. The summer time in Britain is so short though (even with good weather), and before you know it it's 1 October. There are 6-7 months in the Peak District when it's pretty grim, to be honest. One of the reasons I came back to Brissie is that there's some lovely countryside not too far from here; the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast Hinterlands are stunning, and also Northern NSW, although that's a bit far for a day trip. I couldn't imagine living in parts of Australia that are completely flat, and all there is is the beach. In general I'd agree that there's 'less to do' here when comparing Australia to the UK, as in specific activities or sightseeing, but I've never been bored here. I've always found that I've needed to do less here because the weather's so nice. When I'm not working I'm happy to spend time in the garden, going for a bike ride, or pottering out around. It's not all about going to the beach, but that's an option any time of year in Queensland. I'm not sure how I'll feel when I get older, and I'm not able to enjoy the great outdoors like I am now. Maybe I'll want to return to the UK to enjoy a more cerebral lifestyle in my old age!

By the way, I've never paid for parking anywhere in Derbyshire (except for Edale and Castleton), as you can usually find a spot somewhere if you don't mind a bit of a walk. I appreciate that's not so easy if you have children though.

Hi Wanderer Returns, sorry to hear your move is not going too well, it's very stressful selling & moving.

Enjoy Queensland, we're in the process of trying to return, hope to get there within the next eight weeks or so.

I wish you well and I hope your house sells very very soon.

• Thanks 1

On 26/05/2020 at 09:45, Wanderer Returns said:

I'm from Clay Cross and my wife from Hyde, near Stockport. We were courting (that sounds old fashioned now doesn't it) for years so every weekend just about one or the other of us drove over the snake pass. Used to love that drive. Had a mini cooper and then a lotus cortina and new the road well. Got a bit dodgy in winter though and we both got stuck one side or the other. My wife got snowed in and stuck once and a kind farmer pulled her out with a tractor. She had to turn round and come back. 

It's lovely up there when it's good weather and bloody awful when it's not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

I'm from Clay Cross and my wife from Hyde, near Stockport. We were courting (that sounds old fashioned now doesn't it) for years so every weekend just about one or the other of us drove over the snake pass. Used to love that drive. Had a mini cooper and then a lotus cortina and new the road well. Got a bit dodgy in winter though and we both got stuck one side or the other. My wife got snowed in and stuck once and a kind farmer pulled her out with a tractor. She had to turn round and come back. 

It's lovely up there when it's good weather and bloody awful when it's not.

Small world isn't it?! The Snake Pass is still an amazing drive. I went over there a couple of times last year as I have friends in Stockport and Altrincham, and it's far more scenic than the A6 if you have the time. For some unknown reason the traffic is horrendous around Glossop these days (going either way), so that's become a bit of a bottleneck.

@Paul1Perth I admire your tenacity - true love knows no bounds!

@AliQ where in Australia are you returning to? If you are moving to Brisbane then maybe we could go halves on a 40ft container and save ourselves a fortune! 😄

Edited by Wanderer Returns

1 minute ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Small world isn't it?! The Snake Pass is still an amazing drive. I went over there a couple of times last year as I have friends in Stockport and Altrincham, and it's far more pleasant than the A6 if you have the time. For some unknown reason the traffic is horrendous around Glossop these days (either way), so that's become a bit of a bottleneck.

@AliQ where in Australia are you returning to? If you are moving to Brisbane then maybe we could go halves on a 40ft container and save ourselves a fortune! 😄

Hi Wanderer Returns, we're going to the Sunshine Coast, great idea to share a container but our timings may not suit each other.

We've picked our company and going into a shared container, we don't have a lot of furniture etc this time round, we've done some very serious culling.

• Like 1

On 26/05/2020 at 13:29, MARYROSE02 said:

Where do you live now Marissa? I seem to recall you were in my home town, Southampton for a while? Woolston?? 

Yes @MARYROSE02, and hated it. Back in Australia now and loving Melbourne. Far friendlier than Sydney, to my surprise. I will always think of Sydney as home though, but I simply can’t afford to live there. Besides, the summer there is too bloody hot. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Yes @MARYROSE02, and hated it. Back in Australia now and loving Melbourne. Far friendlier than Sydney, to my surprise. I will always think of Sydney as home though, but I simply can’t afford to live there. Besides, the summer there is too bloody hot. 

I've never really experienced Melbourne though the company I worked for in 1979 flew me down and I stayed 2 nights in Mont Albert as their head office was in Box Hill. 

In 2009 I went on a road trip and had a cup of coffee in, I think Elwood,  where I thought,  "This is nice, reminds me of England too." 

I love Sydney but it never reminded me of England except for driving along New South Road, Rose Bay which reminded me of some seaside towns.

Come to think of it, in 1980 I was on my working holiday visa and planning to go to Melbourne but then the Aussie govt announced the amnesty on illegal immigrants - i wasn't illegal but inside the cut off date - so stayed in Sydney with my 2 bros.

All the Sydney people I know love Melbourne too and I prefer AFL to NRL but my NRL team is Melbourne Storm. 

Probably too late for me to "emigrate" again though.  One of my brothers has been in Sydney since 1979 and I have a little social network here in Surry Hills. One friend lives opposite me. It is not a village in the sense of being surrounded by fields but i live my life like a medieval villager rarely venturing beyond walking distance of my home.

I don't mind the Sydney summers either! Mostly I stay in the shade and venture to the beach in the evenings. I'm hoping to make another extended trip to Perth tho. I guess it is a subjective thing - why one hates one place and loves another.  But once I've established a pub and cafe I'm set!

• Like 1

On 27/05/2020 at 11:47, Paul1Perth said:

South Perth is nice Maryrose. Always out of our price range but we wanted to be nearer the beach than the City. 

Good spot for most things though South Perth. A short ferry ride to Elizabeth Quay but removed from the main City with a nice river foreshore. Nice cafes and bike paths, zoo and easy access to the freeways. Has a lot going for it.

I think Mark McGowan would have been joking when he talked about the borders, he likes a laugh and wouldn't put it past him to wind the press up. I reckon another couple of weeks and they'll be open again. Albeit with a lot of testing.

He might be but that one in QLD seems obdurate and determined to destroy their main economy (apart from mining which im sure she would like to do too).

My friend in Perth texted me yesterday with a link to, what it called, Ellwood Holiday Village? South East of Bridgetown, and a suggestion we stay there once the lockdown is over. I stopped at Bridgetown driving up from Albany.  I just checked  - got a stubby holder in the pub there "brass monkey coldest place in WA?" (Most country pubs but few city pubs do stubby holders?) I got one in Walpole, another in Donnybrook. I really wanted one from the Freemasons hotel In one of those towns but they did not have one. Im not a mason but a mate is. Funny thing is I went to the Masonic office in ?West Perth,  feeling embarrassed as I rang the buzzer and said I wanted to get souvenirs for a mate in Sydney and lady buzzed me up and gave me some stuff!

You are right about South Perth tho I've not been on that ferry yet and no bus trip lk and one train ride from Canning Bridge to Perth. I'm not anti public transport but when I stayed in South Perth I had my hire car and unlike Sydney it was pleasant to drive. Plus in South Perth i used to walk tho not so much in high summer during the day.

Here in the inner city in Sydney I walk, get the bus or train if I can and occasionally get a car share for a couple of hours, the last time being a month ago. They are everywhere here so pointless buying a car. Different out in the burbs of course.  I walk to the supermarket and use local shops too. Lady in one of them orders stuff in for me and I'm happy to buy it from her.

Which beach do you live ? My first Aussie swim was at Scarborough! Reminds me of the big and crowded Sydney beaches like Bondi, Manly and Cronulla,  all wonderful by the way. I think i liked Cottesloe but I admit I've not explored all of Perth's beaches. I stayed in the pub at Cottesloe for 2 nights in 1997 en route via Johannesburg to Sydney.

15 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Small world isn't it?! The Snake Pass is still an amazing drive. I went over there a couple of times last year as I have friends in Stockport and Altrincham, and it's far more scenic than the A6 if you have the time. For some unknown reason the traffic is horrendous around Glossop these days (going either way), so that's become a bit of a bottleneck.

We met on holiday in Bournemouth. Same hotel. Our accents were so strong her and her mate thought we were German when they heard us talking at breakfast, then realised they could catch the odd word.

She'd just been living in Canada for just about all her teen life and schooling so was very different to most English girls.

All turned out good.😎

• Like 1