12 months experience plus working holiday visa

Hello,

I am a final year nursing student from the UK. My future goal is to get a 190 visa for Victoria. 

I was wondering if I get 12 months experience here in the UK after I qualify and then I go to Australia on a working holiday visa and do a minimum of 12 months there as a nurse. Would I meet the 2 year minimum experience needed which is required for VIC state nomination?

I would have 85 points for the 190 visa as I have an IELTS score of 8 and I am aware you can only work for 6 months for one employer which is why I was thinking about doing the farm work requirements and applying for the second working holiday visa. 

I am trying to plan in advance, and figure out the best way to get to Australia, hence why I am asking now.

Thank you,

Emma

You would definitely need to do the farmwork, because you couldn't get the full 12 months experience on the one-year WHV.   It's not easy to get a nursing job in Australia these days, so you would likely take several weeks to find a job when you first arrive, and then potentially another break when you have to change employers mid-year.   Bear in mind you'll also need to be registered before you can work in nursing at all. 

Hi, 

Thank you for your reply.

I have been looking at an agency which lets you work there for longer than the 6 months and they can get you sorted before you leave for Australia so when you arrive you just have to present in person to complete registration and then go on an orientation with them and then you can start booking the shifts.

I just didn't know if it would be best me staying here for the 2 years after I qualify or staying for 1 year and doing the working holiday visa to claim more points. I'm quite conscious in regards to the WHV age limit.

14 minutes ago, EmmaJames said:

Hi, 

Thank you for your reply.

I have been looking at an agency which lets you work there for longer than the 6 months and they can get you sorted before you leave for Australia 

That sounds dodgy. You can do your registration by yourself while you’re in the UK, paying someone to do it for you won’t speed things up. You will still have to present in person to complete registration either way. 

If you are employed through an agency then that agency is legally your employer under the WHV rules. So you can’t work for them for more than six months, even if they’re sending you to two or three different jobs

Edited by Marisawright

Hi,

I meant sorted job wise not sorted registration wise. I know I would have to do that myself. 

I won't say which agency but their website says they can employ you for longer than the 6 month period as you won't go to the same hospital etc. I know someone who is doing that at the minute too

41 minutes ago, EmmaJames said:

Hi,

I meant sorted job wise not sorted registration wise. I know I would have to do that myself. 

I won't say which agency but their website says they can employ you for longer than the 6 month period as you won't go to the same hospital etc. I know someone who is doing that at the minute too

I was always told that was illegal because the company that pays you is your employer. Odd

If you are referred by an agency or labour supplier to a business, you can work for six months for that business. The same agency or labour supplier can refer you to another business where you can work for another six months. You cannot stay in the same position in the same location with one employer for more than six months by using different employment agencies, business affiliates or sub-contracting arrangements.

There are pro's and cons - coming on a WHV will give you the opportunity to be in Aus, but you'll be working as a casual in different hospitals - some people like that and others find it difficult never really being part of the team.

Staying in the UK could provide you with 'acting up' opportunities within that two years, gaining experience in coordinating a shift which will be something to add to your CV and make you more competitive in the recruitment process 

There is of course, no certainty that nursing will remain on the list - some states already have these occupations under review.

I'm sure IELTS has a shelf life, so if you've got that now, it might not be valid once you're ready to apply for a visa

10 hours ago, Samson said:

If you are referred by an agency or labour supplier to a business, you can work for six months for that business. The same agency or labour supplier can refer you to another business where you can work for another six months. You cannot stay in the same position in the same location with one employer for more than six months by using different employment agencies, business affiliates or sub-contracting arrangements.

Thanks for clarifying

2 hours ago, ali said:

Staying in the UK could provide you with 'acting up' opportunities within that two years, gaining experience in coordinating a shift which will be something to add to your CV and make you more competitive in the recruitment process 

That's a good point.  People often assume it will be easy to get a job as a nurse in Australia, but actually it's very competitive.  You might be better to do your whole work experience in the UK where you'll have more chance to progress.

Thank you for all your replies.

Thank you for clarifying the 6 month rule for me, I appreciate that. ILETS does expire after two years, I took it just to see what I would score so I knew how many points I could definitely get. 

You are right everything can change in a few years time, in my heart I am leaning towards staying here longer than the 12 months but only if they raise the WHV age to 35 like they have for Canada, Ireland and France. If not then I'll stay for the 12 months and do the WHV after. I would rather have some experience of Australia, than none at all. Even if it isn't in nursing.

On 13/05/2020 at 01:21, EmmaJames said:

Hello,

I am a final year nursing student from the UK. My future goal is to get a 190 visa for Victoria. 

I was wondering if I get 12 months experience here in the UK after I qualify and then I go to Australia on a working holiday visa and do a minimum of 12 months there as a nurse. Would I meet the 2 year minimum experience needed which is required for VIC state nomination?

I would have 85 points for the 190 visa as I have an IELTS score of 8 and I am aware you can only work for 6 months for one employer which is why I was thinking about doing the farm work requirements and applying for the second working holiday visa. 

I am trying to plan in advance, and figure out the best way to get to Australia, hence why I am asking now.

Thank you,

Emma

Hi Emma,

it's not very easy to find a nursing job in Victoria at the moment. All jobs I see are for nurses who have full working rights, preferably PR. I don't think WH visas are preffered. Keep in mind that even if you do work for agency, you still have to work a specific amnount of hours to have this experience counted. As far as I remember, you have to be employed at least as a part time employee, definitely not casual. 

Also, you'd need to be registered with AHPRA to be able to work here as a nurse...I would stay in the UK and gained experience there, it's the easiest option out of the two and UK nurses are always welcome.

Good luck

• Like 1