The 12 out of 18 months rule for visitors

Hopscotch

Hi everyone

My mum's 600 visa is expiring soon and I am looking into options to extend her visa again. 

She was initially here on a tourist visa, then Coronavirus hit and I extended her visa for another 3 months. She would have flown back home now, but flights are tricky and I am also worried about her getting on a plane right now.

Given the next visa extension is quite expensive, I am thinking of applying for a 12 months visa with multiple entries to make sure that she is covered in case the whole coronavirus fiasco is taking a turn for the worse, but equally could leave in the next couple of weeks in case things improve. In this case, she would most likely come back in November to visit again and use the 'multiple entry' element of the visa.

The only reason why i am still not sure what to do is the 8558 condition, which stipulates that one can only stay in the country for 12 out of 18 month. Also, not sure whether Coronavirus is an exceptional circumstance for a 12 month extension of her visa? 

Curious whether anyone has any ideas..

In these circumstances (COVID-19), to circumvent the 8558 condition, you can simply apply for another visa.

You can try to request any stay, the Department will then decide the length of the visa validity.

There has been no declaration in regards to when the travel restrictions will be lifted, so there is a possibility that your mother will not be able to return in November.