Huon Valley, what's it like to live there ?

AliQ

Just browsing at interesting places to live round the country, Huon Valley has fabulous scenery and property looks a reasonable price for what you get (as far as I can tell from the internet) can anyone tell me what's it like living there ? Is it quiet, any nearby shops, other facilities etc. I know we all like different things but interested in any experiences from anyone who has lived there. Thank you.

19 minutes ago, AliQ said:

Just browsing at interesting places to live round the country, Huon Valley has fabulous scenery and property looks a reasonable price for what you get (as far as I can tell from the internet) can anyone tell me what's it like living there ? Is it quiet, any nearby shops, other facilities etc. I know we all like different things but interested in any experiences from anyone who has lived there. Thank you.

I've never lived there but I do like the Huon Valley very much.  We have good friends (from NSW) who moved to Dover a small coastal town south east of the Huon Valley and love the whole area.  They do most of their shopping there.  Mind you they are not city people so don't go in for malls and shopping centres, theatres etc.  Wouldn't suit people who would miss all that though it's not far from Hobart.  Unfortunately last year bushfires in the Huon Valley burnt out more than 180,000 hectares.  😟

33 minutes ago, Toots said:

I've never lived there but I do like the Huon Valley very much.  We have good friends (from NSW) who moved to Dover a small coastal town south east of the Huon Valley and love the whole area.  They do most of their shopping there.  Mind you they are not city people so don't go in for malls and shopping centres, theatres etc.  Wouldn't suit people who would miss all that though it's not far from Hobart.  Unfortunately last year bushfires in the Huon Valley burnt out more than 180,000 hectares.  😟

Many thanks Toots. We like quiet actually, so may do a bit more homework on this area.

4 hours ago, AliQ said:

It's a beautiful area, we're planning to retire there. We should have been flying there in 2 weeks time but of course we had to cancel 😧

We like the fact it's not too far from Hobart while having some lovely smaller towns.

Edited by Drumbeat

27 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

It's a beautiful area, we're planning to retire there. We should have been flying there in 2 weeks time but of course we had to cancel 😧

We like the fact it's not too far from Hobart while having some lovely smaller towns.

Thank you, yes it does look a lovely place to retire too. Good luck with your move, hope you can get going soon.

• 1 month later...
On 10/05/2020 at 17:46, AliQ said:

I haven't been on PIO much lately so I've only just seen this post.

I haven't lived in the Huon Valley  but have many friends who have and have watched it  change over the last 60 years.  Its traditional roots are in apple orchards (before the UK entered the Common Market), timber,  fishing and boat building.  Then it was discovered in the '70s by hippies aiming for an off grid, sustainable lifestyle - particularly around the Cygnet area -  then in the '90s by "tree changers" from the Mainland looking for a peaceful lifestyle and (what was then) very cheap property and easy access to Hobart (some residents commute every day).    It's now a mixture of all those and has added burgeoning cider. wine, salmon farming and tourism industries.   Lots of locally grown produce at markets etc. as there are still many people on small, self sustainable acreages

So it is still rural and quiet but has easy access to facilities.  Huonville is the main commercial centre - supermarket, hardware store, banks, medical centre, vet etc .    Geeveston and Dover are smaller but have essential facilities.  Cygnet has long had a reputation as an artist/foodie hub and usually has several very good cafe/restaurants.  (It did have 3 pubs too - "top" , "middle" and "bottom" - and I've had some great counter meals there - memorable crumbed scallops ... yum!! - but I don't know if they are all still operating).   Ranelagh has a lovely winery/restaurant ("Home Hill"),  and Hobartians are even known to travel to Geeveston for their famous sushi.  😀   Franklin, which is a lovely little town, has  a prestigious wooden boat building school which aims to keep traditional boat building skills alive.

There is easy access on the highway from Huonville to Kingston for more shopping options without going into Hobart itself.    It's a good road but occasionally  will be closed at its highest part - Vince's Saddle - in winter for short periods due to ice and/or snow.  However that happens  less frequently than it used to but it's worth keeping in mind for important appointments   or going to the airport to catch a plane in winter!.     The valley can get decent frosts  - a well insulated house would be a necessity IMHO.  😀

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skani said:

I haven't been on PIO much lately so I've only just seen this post.

I haven't lived in the Huon Valley  but have many friends who have and have watched it  change over the last 60 years.  Its traditional roots are in apple orchards (before the UK entered the Common Market), timber,  fishing and boat building.  Then it was discovered in the '70s by hippies aiming for an off grid, sustainable lifestyle - particularly around the Cygnet area -  then in the '90s by "tree changers" from the Mainland looking for a peaceful lifestyle and (what was then) very cheap property and easy access to Hobart (some residents commute every day).    It's now a mixture of all those and has added burgeoning cider. wine, salmon farming and tourism industries.   Lots of locally grown produce at markets etc. as there are still many people on small, self sustainable acreages

So it is still rural and quiet but has easy access to facilities.  Huonville is the main commercial centre - supermarket, hardware store, banks, medical centre, vet etc .    Geeveston and Dover are smaller but have essential facilities.  Cygnet has long had a reputation as an artist/foodie hub and usually has several very good cafe/restaurants.  (It did have 3 pubs too - "top" , "middle" and "bottom" - and I've had some great counter meals there - memorable crumbed scallops ... yum!! - but I don't know if they are all still operating).   Ranelagh has a lovely winery/restaurant ("Home Hill"),  and Hobartians are even known to travel to Geeveston for their famous sushi.  😀   Franklin, which is a lovely little town, has  a prestigious wooden boat building school which aims to keep traditional boat building skills alive.

There is easy access on the highway from Huonville to Kingston for more shopping options without going into Hobart itself.    It's a good road but occasionally  will be closed at its highest part - Vince's Saddle - in winter for short periods due to ice and/or snow.  However that happens  less frequently than it used to but it's worth keeping in mind for important appointments   or going to the airport to catch a plane in winter!.     The valley can get decent frosts  - a well insulated house would be a necessity IMHO.  😀

Hi Skani,  thank you, that is really useful info, I really appreciate your time in writing that. Cheers.

• Like 1