173 or 143?

Molly

Hey lovely people, 

Just about to apply for Contrib parent (143) for parents offshore. Gov website now says over 4 years wait. 😞
Question is, what's the process if they are ready to come before 4 years? I think they can switch it to a 173, then apply again for 143 when they get here, but how does that work and what are the costs involved in doing it this way? 

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Molly said:

Hey lovely people, 

Just about to apply for Contrib parent (143) for parents offshore. Gov website now says over 4 years wait. 😞
Question is, what's the process if they are ready to come before 4 years? I think they can switch it to a 173, then apply again for 143 when they get here, but how does that work and what are the costs involved in doing it this way? 

Thank you!

Don’t even consider a 173, just apply directly for a 143 and expect to queue for 8 to 10 years. If you wish to sit this wait out in Australia, you can buy a temporary 870 visa.

Don’t think that’s an option @SusieRoo 143 is already close to $100,000 for both parents. The 870 is an additional $10k each! Is there no alternative? It also says you can’t apply for any permanent parent visa whilst on 870...

Edited by Molly

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Actually the people who applied 4 years ago are being processed now, but there’s been a rise in applications since then, so the wait will be more like 6 to 8 years if you apply today. 

IT says 52 days on the immigration website? So is there to live here while you wait if you apply offshore?

Edited by Molly

There are some temporary visas you can have whilst waiting but I don’t think they have any work rights (need to check) so ok if your parents aren’t planning on getting jobs.  The queue length is so long now. You really are looking at about 8 years if lodging now and who knows, that could get even longer if they cut the annual quota. The other worry is that a parent may be ok health wise now but may fail the medical 8 years down the line. We all need to be mindful that something could get in the way that puts a stop to the visa at the end of the wait. It’s a shame but understandable, Australia doesn’t really want oldies going there to live. 

Edited by Tulip1

2 hours ago, Molly said:

Don’t think that’s an option @SusieRoo 143 is already close to $100,000 for both parents. The 870 is an additional $10k each! Is there no alternative? It also says you can’t apply for any permanent parent visa whilst on 870...

The total costs are a good bit above that. On top, you need to factor in the moving costs. Then factor in the fact that British pensions will be frozen, so they need enough income to top that up. 

2 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

The total costs are a good bit above that. On top, you need to factor in the moving costs. Then factor in the fact that British pensions will be frozen, so they need enough income to top that up. 

Assurance of support too.

On 10/05/2020 at 19:49, Tulip1 said:

There are some temporary visas you can have whilst waiting but I don’t think they have any work rights (need to check) so ok if your parents aren’t planning on getting jobs.  The queue length is so long now. You really are looking at about 8 years if lodging now and who knows, that could get even longer if they cut the annual quota. The other worry is that a parent may be ok health wise now but may fail the medical 8 years down the line. We all need to be mindful that something could get in the way that puts a stop to the visa at the end of the wait. It’s a shame but understandable, Australia doesn’t really want oldies going there to live. 

I'm secretly praying that queue length is just a mis-calculation with the immigration department. Like how they keep goofing up the queue calculator.

2 hours ago, Arti said:

I'm secretly praying that queue length is just a mis-calculation with the immigration department. Like how they keep goofing up the queue calculator.

Sorry, it's not. It's only going to get longer, I'm afraid.  Governments don't want to let parents in, because the elderly cost too much in medical treatment and aged care.  Look at the UK - if you were an Australian parent wanting to live in the UK with their children, you'd be out of luck.  Even New Zealand closed its doors to parents for a while.  

That's why the fee is so high, and even then it doesn't go close to paying for the costs you'll incur in your old age.  It will be interesting to see what happens to parents visas over the next few years.