You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

proud preston

Tiny move - worth the cost?!

Apologies - I’ve posted already about this - looked up Seven Seas to ship - rocking chair, stool and a couple of other items. Quote came to about 480 pounds but then there seemed to be an equal amount to pay once they were in Aus?? Am I just being a bit dense or is this correct? So hard, just a couple of things of sentimental value from my mum’s house but seems a lot of money and faff. 

Thanks in advance 

It is normal to have charges at this end too. Try getting a few more quotes from other companys to send the stuff in a shared container and compare the prices.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

That's probably about right. A small move cube might give you enough space for that and a few more things. We found the pound amount was met with a fee about the same in dollars this end. 

6 hours ago, proud preston said:

Apologies - I’ve posted already about this - looked up Seven Seas to ship - rocking chair, stool and a couple of other items. Quote came to about 480 pounds but then there seemed to be an equal amount to pay once they were in Aus?? Am I just being a bit dense or is this correct? So hard, just a couple of things of sentimental value from my mum’s house but seems a lot of money and faff. 

Thanks in advance 

Take photos and measure the goods (if you can) and send to PSS International Removals, it would be a shared container but it will give you a cost comparative, and if you in no hurry, a shared container would suit you.

Left UK 1990 / WA for 28 years / UK / returning Australia as soon as the CV issue allows !

Posted (edited)

That's the trouble, if you've got a small, light shipment, it's going to cost you a lot of money.  The charges at the Australian end are to get the stuff through customs etc, and the shippers can't control that.  

Your problem is that the rocking chair is too big to go in a standard carton, and you're probably paying for empty space.

Edited by Marisawright

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke