Extension of visa deadline

Expatriate123

Hi. I and mt family were granted PR under 189 few years back. We activated the PR and visited Australia twice. We were planning to relocate in Oct 2020 as our visa expires end of Nov 2020. I am not sure when the travel restrictions will be removed due to COVID19. Will the Immigration authorities consider an extension of dealine to enter Australia. Has anyone approached the authorities for extension of the final deadline for entry or anyone aware of the process.

Thanks

Thanks ..... my PR states cannot enter australia after 28 Nov 2020. At this stage when there are indications that immigration laws will be tougher, not sure how the govt will review the RRV and how lenient they will be to accomodate such a request

I am hoping the air travels gets eased and we will be able to enter before 28 nov 2020....

1 minute ago, Expatriate123 said:

Thanks ..... my PR states cannot enter australia after 28 Nov 2020. At this stage when there are indications that immigration laws will be tougher, not sure how the govt will review the RRV and how lenient they will be to accomodate such a request

I am hoping the air travels gets eased and we will be able to enter before 28 nov 2020....

You can enter now if you can get a flight because you have a PR visa

I wouldn't have thought you met the criteria for an extension will you?

I'm looking at flights for middle of next month and like Marisa says you can still enter.

14days quarantine upon arrival all paid for by the Aus gov for now.

Edited by Lavers

4 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Not if you enter the NT, at least in a secondary manner.

My friend who lives in Darwin came back from the Caribbean. She had to isolate first in Melbourne (her first point of contact back in Australia) which was paid for by the feds. But when she flew back to Darwin from Melb, she had to return to quarantine for a second time, but this time on her own dollar. NT after a period of time started making people coming into the territory pay for their own accomodations.

So it all depends on the jurisdiction and the policies they have in place.

Thanks...and as you said i am just waiting for flights to start and off we go... yes 14 days quarantine on arrival, not sure thought where the immigration authorities will put us up for quarantine.... we will be landing in Melbourne

Looking at flights as well. Looking at options of Flying either on Emirates or Qatar or Cathy pacific - Singapore is closed unfortunately

31 minutes ago, Lavers said:

I wouldn't have thought you met the criteria for an extension will you?

I'm looking at flights for middle of next month and like Marisa says you can still enter.

Only a thought, but have you checked with an airline if they will accept you for a flight, if you don’t actually hold PR until you enter Australia and validate. Might be worth checking. Sorry if this doesn’t apply to you,, or is even relevant but airlines are very strict about having a visa, otherwise they get heavily fined.

Edited by ramot

6 minutes ago, ramot said:

Only a thought, but have you checked with an airline if they will accept you for a flight, if you don’t actually hold PR until you enter Australia and validate. Might be worth checking. Sorry if this doesn’t apply to you,, but airlines are very strict about having a visa, otherwise they get heavily fined.

I haven't validated my visa yet but I checked with home affairs and they said that I am still classed as a resident even though I haven't been before.

I also checked with SA gov if I can cross the border from VIC and they just said that the police are checking anyone who crosses the border. Just make sure that I show details of where we will be staying as we will also have to self isolate for 14days.

So 14days qaurantine in Melbourne then 14days self isolation in Adelaide....cant wait 😪

Edited by Lavers
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Expatriate123 said:

Hi. I and mt family were granted PR under 189 few years back. We activated the PR and visited Australia twice. We were planning to relocate in Oct 2020 as our visa expires end of Nov 2020. I am not sure when the travel restrictions will be removed due to COVID19. Will the Immigration authorities consider an extension of dealine to enter Australia. Has anyone approached the authorities for extension of the final deadline for entry or anyone aware of the process.

Thanks

Answered in another thread ...

7 hours ago, shaunfreo said:

The PR visa doesn’t expire the RRV does you will need to apply for another RRV and meet the criteria for that who knows what leniency the government will allow 

??

6 hours ago, ramot said:

Only a thought, but have you checked with an airline if they will accept you for a flight, if you don’t actually hold PR until you enter Australia and validate. Might be worth checking. Sorry if this doesn’t apply to you,, or is even relevant but airlines are very strict about having a visa, otherwise they get heavily fined.

The Department have said that Permanent Residents can still enter even if it is their ‘validation’ trip. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

Not if you enter the NT, at least in a secondary manner.

My friend who lives in Darwin came back from the Caribbean. She had to isolate first in Melbourne (her first point of contact back in Australia) which was paid for by the feds. But when she flew back to Darwin from Melb, she had to return to quarantine for a second time, but this time on her own dollar. NT after a period of time started making people coming into the territory pay for their own accomodations.

So it all depends on the jurisdiction and the policies they have in place.

True its another reason why I need to get gone fairly soon.

Was it $2500 a week per person as well?

I’m sure that by the time you enter the borders will be reopened as they are looking to try and do it within the next month but Vic are holding out at the moment. If that happens you will only have to do the 14 days quarantine and should be able to drive to Adelaide without needing to self isolate

21 hours ago, Lavers said:

True its another reason why I need to get gone fairly soon.

Was it $2500 a week per person as well?

I think it ended up between $1500 to $2000 as they put her up in a Travelodge (not the nicest of hotels, but not the worst either). And she didn't have a choice; they pick where you stay.

Edited by Canada2Australia