Home Edition TOEFL

LVN

Hi 

Hope everyone is doing well and keeping safe! 

I was wondering if anyone knows if the TOEFL Home Special Edition is accepted? Due to the lockdown in the UK, test centres are shut but TOEFL are offering a fully proctored home edition but not sure if this would be accepted by Aus Gov? Anyone with any insight - please share!

The TOEFL Home Edition was just created as an alternative for those who need to take the exam during the lockdown. It’s the same content and is proctored by a human online. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/05/2020 at 05:45, VERYSTORMY said:

Nope. Even a phd in English doesn’t 

Shocked to see this as my agent advised to switch from PTE to TOEFl to enable me to get my score and points (as centres closed)  I have paid $200 for the test and spent the last month studying!  Any updates on this?

13 minutes ago, LVN said:

I cancelled the TOEFL and got my money back. I took the PTE today as centres have opened up i the UK. Good luck!

Hope you get your results.  Best wishes

I need to follow this up ASAP as test next week.  My agent assured me I could take the TOEFL so really confused!  Does anyone have an update?

I have also changed my E2 language practice course from PTE to TOEFL and this will cost to change back again.  

After a stressful night in which thankfully based on my trust in my consultant, I continued to study and received this information from them first  thing this morning.

You can actually do the TOEFL for visa immigration!

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/meeting-our-requirements/english-language/proficient-english

Also test centres for PTE are still closed in UK based on Persons website, where you book PTE from.

This question was originally posted for they TOEFL Home edition which is the one you take from home. I think TOEFL has been accepted for a long time but some of us were trying to do the special home edition! I hope that clarifies it. 

2 hours ago, LVN said:

This question was originally posted for they TOEFL Home edition which is the one you take from home. I think TOEFL has been accepted for a long time but some of us were trying to do the special home edition! I hope that clarifies it. 

I am doing the home edition one, my consultant advised this.  Too late to cancel now so fingers crossed.  I can not see any difference with home edition as its all strict and monitored.

On 05/06/2020 at 15:19, LVN said:

mypte.pearsonpte.com to book at your nearest centre. 

I got my results within less than 24 hours too! 

Happy to help further if needed!

That's really good, the worse bit is waiting.  

I will see what happens after my test next week with the TOEFL.

I have studied so much, to change back to PTE now would be a pain.

But many thanks for the link, in case I need, though hopefully my results are valid.

On 07/06/2020 at 08:59, LVN said:

Are you doing the TOEFL exam at home or at the centre?

After more digging I found this 

https://www.ets.org/toefl/test-takers/ibt/where/country/australia-nz

$200 down the drain on top of what is already a costly process.  Totally frustrated.  I can only take the test on the off chance they will recognize this later on.

Lyn, I just wanted to acknowledge this and thank you for bringing to my attention sooner rather than later.

2 minutes ago, LVN said:

Ask for a refund from TOEFL. This is the email address tta_toefl_response@ets.org

They issued a full refund back to my account when I explained my situation. 

Thanks,  I could try but have test booked for in the morning, so I am guessing it is too late.  I think the cut off was Friday.  

I will send an email tonight and see if I get a reply before test.

Thanks again.

34 minutes ago, LVN said:

Good luck! Let me know. PTE is very straightforward. Much easier than TOEFL. I prepared for a week and scored straight 90s in each category. Wish you all the best. 

Wow that is awesome,  congratulations. This is my 3rd test!

I did IELTS first and got 9, and all 8.5 apart from reading at 6.5, which didn't make sense.  Then I did PTE in Nov and the listening ended before I had finished, I was ready to reschedule the PTE than COVID happened.

I hate exams and my nerves kick in so the home test seemed a much suitable option for me.  To be honest I am feeling a kind of dumb ass, given English is my first language and I have a degree!