Documents for 190 application

Hi,

I hope that everyone is managing to stay safe and well during this time! I had a couple of questions that I just can't seem to find the answers to online, all I seem to find is a lot of conflicting information... I would be so grateful if anyone has gone through the 189/190 application process and could offer some advice!

I was recently invited to apply for a 190 visa (VIC) as a secondary school teacher. I've finished the application and I need to attach documents to support my application before I can send it off. My first question is regarding document certification, is it mandatory? I remember on my previous visa it asked for certified documents, but I just uploaded copies that weren't certified e.g. passport, payslips, letter from employer etc, a case officer did ask me for additional documents but never mentioned anything about certification. Visa was granted shortly afterwards.

I was planning to certify everything that was an official document like passport, birth certificate, degree certificates and transcripts etc. But there is some evidence that I'm going to struggle to get "notorized" or "certified" like my evidence of skilled work experience, I've got letters from my old schools on the letter head etc but I don't know how I'd get this certified as it's not an official document like a passport or certificate... Also with my skills assessment from AITSL, they only ever provided me with an electronic copy and an ID number (they only asked for ID number in my EOI). I rang AITSL and they said that the online copy is what you attach to your visa, I guess it'd be easy enough to check as it has the ID number. But again, this conflicts with the request for certified copies.

My second question was regarding my evidence for skilled employment, on the form it says: This may include a certified copy of your employment contract, a letter/statement from your business/employer or work reference. I have the letter/statement from both jobs stating the dates, what I did, that I was full time and that I took no leave etc. I do have old contracts/job offer letters but they don't show too much other than the start date and salary, as they were both ongoing contracts. Is just a letter enough? Again it just feels a bit flimsy given that it's not certified. In the letter it has contact details of the school and invites them to get in touch if they have any questions. 

Just can't seem to find any straight answers anywhere, anyone I manage to get a hold of doesn't seem sure or tells me conflicting information! Would really appreciate if anyone has any experience or has been through this process or a similar one!

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Sophie

Does certified not just mean an original scanned colour copy?

I got my 190 visa for SA at Xmas time and I didn't certify anything, but that may be different for VIC.

My work experience and reference from my boss was done on company letter headed paper with my bosses email and contact number on.

For my skill assessment (Metal Fabricator) I uploaded an original copy and supplied the ID number as it is all on a database.

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.

43 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Hi Sophie

Does certified not just mean an original scanned colour copy?

I got my 190 visa for SA at Xmas time and I didn't certify anything, but that may be different for VIC.

My work experience and reference from my boss was done on company letter headed paper with my bosses email and contact number on.

For my skill assessment (Metal Fabricator) I uploaded an original copy and supplied the ID number as it is all on a database.

Sorry I couldn't be more of a help.

I'm becoming more and more uncertain about what "certified" means 😂 haha. When I did my Victorian teacher registration last year I had to get everything (passport, degree certificates and so on) copied and stamped and signed by someone official saying each one was a true copy of the original... but then with this it says certified, and then it also says colour scan of the original.... For my past AUS visas I just did colour scans and it was fine.

Yeah that's exactly what I've got from my two previous jobs... just feel like it's too easy. But I guess they can always contact the schools if they wanted to check, seems like that'd be the easiest and the most reliable way to check the authenticity. I can get a statement of skilled employment from AITSL who did my skills assessment but it costs $220... which I don't mind, but seems silly to pay it if the letters are enough! 

No that's really helpful, thank-you so much, it's really helpful to hear from someone who has actually been through the process! 

52 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Assessment and registration bodies all have different requirements.  Immigration accept colour scans of original documents for visa and citizenship applications so no need to certify for that purpose.

Yes I see that now, I guess "certified" means different things for different departments... Do you think that would still be the case with the evidence for skilled employment? My schools in the UK just sent me electronic letters (still with letter heads as it would be on one sent through the post) as it was easier and quicker than mailing them over, especially given everything that's going on.

I'm just worried that attaching a pdf seems too easy! I don't want to be in the position where they need something more official and only give 28 days to provide it... takes longer to get stuff from the UK with schools being closed at the moment and everything! 

Maybe I'm just overthinking it... seems like other people have been fine just providing letters, but others seem to have been asked for documents to be attested. 

43 minutes ago, sophieb92 said:

Yes I see that now, I guess "certified" means different things for different departments... Do you think that would still be the case with the evidence for skilled employment? My schools in the UK just sent me electronic letters (still with letter heads as it would be on one sent through the post) as it was easier and quicker than mailing them over, especially given everything that's going on.

I'm just worried that attaching a pdf seems too easy! I don't want to be in the position where they need something more official and only give 28 days to provide it... takes longer to get stuff from the UK with schools being closed at the moment and everything! 

Maybe I'm just overthinking it... seems like other people have been fine just providing letters, but others seem to have been asked for documents to be attested. 

I would have thought that they would be more concerned about your qualifications rather than employment history.

The fact that we have to get our skills assessed gives them the assurances that they are legit when we pass.

All they have to do is contact your employer to verify your evidence if required.

It was only vetassess that rang my boss to confirm what I submitted was true, immigration never rang.

14 hours ago, Lavers said:

I would have thought that they would be more concerned about your qualifications rather than employment history.

The fact that we have to get our skills assessed gives them the assurances that they are legit when we pass.

All they have to do is contact your employer to verify your evidence if required.

It was only vetassess that rang my boss to confirm what I submitted was true, immigration never rang.

Yeah I'd have thought that too... but then I'd have also thought that they'd check everything that you're claiming points for... I think I'll just have to give them what I can and hope for the best! Thanks for your help!

4 hours ago, Dean0703 said:

They need to be certified. I can show you what this looks like if you want, I had mine certified by another teacher.

That would be really helpful... did you have a letter from your schools confirming that you worked there etc and then just have a teacher sign it and say that all the information was true?

So strange as I've heard so many different things, some people were fine with just the letter, others had to get the evidence notarised... I'm half thinking that I might just bite the bullet and do the Skilled Employment Statement from AITSL for $230 as they offered it to me after I got my skills assessment... just seems like a needless cost but I guess for peace of mind and avoiding further issues down the line it could be worth it... 

1 hour ago, sophieb92 said:

That would be really helpful... did you have a letter from your schools confirming that you worked there etc and then just have a teacher sign it and say that all the information was true?

"Certified" doesn't mean "i confirm this information is true".   "Certified" means, "I confirm this copy is a true copy of the original document and hasn't been altered in any way".  That's  something only a Justice of the Peace, notary or member of the legal profession can do - and they can do it for any document.  Just present them with the original and the copy side by side.   Of course, unless you're in Australia (where JP's are free), you'll have to pay a fee.

The thing is, nowadays an electronic letter is admissible in court as an original.  So I'd say all you need to do is send those letters because they are the originals. 

2 hours ago, sophieb92 said:

So strange as I've heard so many different things, some people were fine with just the letter, others had to get the evidence notarised... I'm half thinking that I might just bite the bullet and do the Skilled Employment Statement from AITSL for $230 as they offered it to me after I got my skills assessment... just seems like a needless cost but I guess for peace of mind and avoiding further issues down the line it could be worth it... 

Again if it for immigration and your actual on line visa application a colour scan of the original is fine. The skilled employment statement is considered advisory only by immigration and they will assess your experience themselves so you still need to send the evidence. 

What Marisa says isn’t true. 
If you are having your documents certified offshore then it is whatever the procedure of certification is in that particular country.  

https://www.vit.vic.edu.au/professional-responsibilities/for-teacher/ncchc/list-of-certified-persons

Right at the bottom it tells you.

The SES from AITSL is a load of rubbish and a waste of money. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys so I’m currently in the process of all this I’ve sent my stuff to AITSL did people get the skilled employment statement if not what did they go for instead to claim points on experience also for the 190 were you registered with VIT before you put in your expression of interest x

No I didn’t get a skilled employment statement. The government reserve the right to contact your employer to verify your claim. At the time of visa you will have to submit a statement of service from your employer. Not necessary for EOI. 

I put EOI in before I received VIT registration. Just wanted it in the system. I haven’t done the application to the state yet as everything is very delayed. 

I started my AITSL last year and had it in January. Took 9 weeks. Wife put hers in January - took 19 weeks. There’s no rhyme nor reason to what they seem to do 

36 minutes ago, Snuber said:

Hi guys so I’m currently in the process of all this I’ve sent my stuff to AITSL did people get the skilled employment statement if not what did they go for instead to claim points on experience also for the 190 were you registered with VIT before you put in your expression of interest x

I had my VIT first because I was already living and working at a teacher here (on a working holiday visa). Just FYI it took ages, I applied in nov 2018 and didn’t get it until 31 jan 2019! Just make sure that everything is certified when you send it to them, otherwise it becomes incredibly delayed.

I started the whole process with my skills assessment 17th Nov 2019 took about 8 weeks I think... AITSL only offer you the SES after you receive a positive skills assessment. I didn’t get the SES! 

Once you’ve got your skills assessment and your English test you can send your EOI off on skillselect.

Then once you’ve done that you can do your 190 application on live in Melbourne website. You have to have your VIT registration completed before you do the 190. 

For the 190 I don’t think that you had to give any formal evidence of employment in the UK, maybe just letters... they definitely don’t ask for SES.  Just a very detailed 4 page CV which had it all on there.

The work experience that they seemed more concerned with is your time working in Victoria. I had to provide my contracts, a letter from the principal of my school, a declaration form filled out and signed by the principal. I think that this was because a job offer in Victoria is a condition of the visa. 

When I got my invitation (22 April 2020) and lodged my application I obviously then had to provide evidence for everything that I stated in my EOI. I just attached the letters from both my previous schools as the evidence of overseas employment. Didn’t bother with the SES. I will do it if they ask for it though. Fingers crossed the letters are enough!

Just got the medical left to do now!

Hi I don’t think having a job lined up is part of the 190 from what I’ve read unless I’ve got that wrong ? Also don’t know if you are aware VIT has now changed so you can only apply for VIT if you have some ID that confirms your entering Australia like your visa which doesn’t work for the 190 of you need VIT before. I’ve just got of the phone to the women at VIT and she confirmed that so god only knows how people will now apply for the 190 and not have VIT registration. Good luck with your Medical 

3 minutes ago, Snuber said:

Hi I don’t think having a job lined up is part of the 190 from what I’ve read unless I’ve got that wrong ? 

Each state is different.  Some states require you to have a job lined up  - which makes it almost impossible to apply for the visa, since the processing time for the 190 is so long, and most employers won't wait that long.  

45 minutes ago, Dean0703 said:

No I didn’t get a skilled employment statement. The government reserve the right to contact your employer to verify your claim. At the time of visa you will have to submit a statement of service from your employer. Not necessary for EOI. 

I put EOI in before I received VIT registration. Just wanted it in the system. I haven’t done the application to the state yet as everything is very delayed. 

I started my AITSL last year and had it in January. Took 9 weeks. Wife put hers in January - took 19 weeks. There’s no rhyme nor reason to what they seem to do 

Hi have you gone through the VIT process ? It’s all changed now I’ve just got of the phone to then supposedly you now need proof of commencement I’ve attached an image below. Where do you apply to the

11B036E9-E1EA-497E-864C-BF4242EE51FF.jpeg

Edited by Snuber

Just now, Marisawright said:

Each state is different.  Some states require you to have a job lined up  - which makes it almost impossible to apply for the visa, since the processing time for the 190 is so long, and most employers won't wait that long.  

Hi I am looking at Victoria sorry I should have said that 

27 minutes ago, Snuber said:

Hi I don’t think having a job lined up is part of the 190 from what I’ve read unless I’ve got that wrong ? Also don’t know if you are aware VIT has now changed so you can only apply for VIT if you have some ID that confirms your entering Australia like your visa which doesn’t work for the 190 of you need VIT before. I’ve just got of the phone to the women at VIT and she confirmed that so god only knows how people will now apply for the 190 and not have VIT registration. Good luck with your Medical 

“You must commit to living and working in Victoria for at least two years. If you are currently living in another Australian state, you will need to provide a current Victorian job offer in your nominated occupation to support your visa nomination application.”  

That’s what it says on the vic website... I just assumed that would apply to people overseas as well, but I could be wrong, as marissa said it would be nearly impossible to get a genuine job off whilst overseas as the waiting time is so long... 

With the VIT I honestly don’t know... it was all via the post when I did it, not online. The only thing that I could think of is that they’ve just changed it and the 190 visa scheme hasn’t been changed to reflect that yet... either that or they want to limit it so that only onshore applicants can apply. Either way it sucks!

The only thing I could suggest is to keep going and get your EOI lodged on skillselect and maybe they’ll sort it out... you could also contact live in Melbourne to ask... and if you get to the point when you are ready to do the 190 and haven’t heard anything back, you could just lodge it without the vit and explain when/if they ask?

1 hour ago, Snuber said:

Any link to this online as it doesn’t say on their website that I can find. 
I applied under the old system of sending paper in the post. They have since moved online. But nobody has told me this! 

https://www.vit.vic.edu.au/registering-as-a-teacher/how-do-i-register-as-a-teacher/registering-as-a-graduate/list-of-appropriate-documents-for-verifying-identification

I found this about commencement- this is instructions on registering as a graduate which isn’t what I’m doing in applying for a 190. I’m registering first as a provisional teacher which is what I need. What it says on VIT and the Live In website hasn’t changed.

5 hours ago, Dean0703 said:

https://www.vit.vic.edu.au/registering-as-a-teacher/how-do-i-register-as-a-teacher/registering-as-a-graduate/list-of-appropriate-documents-for-verifying-identification

I found this about commencement- this is instructions on registering as a graduate which isn’t what I’m doing in applying for a 190. I’m registering first as a provisional teacher which is what I need. What it says on VIT and the Live In website hasn’t changed.

Hi I’ve registered with my VIT even for the provisional registration it is asking for the commencement document if you e registered with VIT and start an application you will see under the personal Id area it asks for the commencement documents. I honestly don’t know what to upload there as I’m also going for the 190. Ive emailed vit so will keep you updated if you hear anything will you let me know please?