MTC

143 visa affected by Covid pandemic?

Hi.... We are waiting for the 143 having our application acknowledged on 08/11/2016 and  just wondering how the ongoing pandemic is going to affect the 143 visa. Just read that they are cutting down on some others especially the low skill temp visas. Anybody here in the know if the 143 visas might go up or be further reduced? Thank you for sharing.

Here is a thread where you can find some info.

143 acknowledgement 16th July 2018

8 minutes ago, Arti said:

Here is a thread where you can find some info.

Thanks Arti, but this thread is pre-covid. Looking for information as to whether the 143 visas will be slowed down or hastened due to Covid.

Hi,

The thread is current and has great information, including Covid-19 discussions. 

143 Visa lodged 18.07.18

3 hours ago, MTC said:

Hi.... We are waiting for the 143 having our application acknowledged on 08/11/2016 and  just wondering how the ongoing pandemic is going to affect the 143 visa. Just read that they are cutting down on some others especially the low skill temp visas. Anybody here in the know if the 143 visas might go up or be further reduced? Thank you for sharing.

I can’t imagine it will go up. If it changes at all numbers will reduce.  In a struggling economy, a load of oldies turning up is not what you need.

1 hour ago, MillieB said:

Hi,

The thread is current and has great information, including Covid-19 discussions. 

11 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I can’t imagine it will go up. If it changes at all numbers will reduce.  In a struggling economy, a load of oldies turning up is not what you need.

Logical deduction though I don't like the idea of a reduced number 😞

6 minutes ago, MTC said:

Logical deduction though I don't like the idea of a reduced number 😞

Neither do I, I’m in the queue too. But I’m also in the real world, of course they won’t increase the number of parents getting visas.  They have an economy to try and fix, thousands of extra granny and grandpas turning up won’t help. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

I actually think that most on 143 will NOT be such a burden. After all, they hv contributed a sizeable amount besides financial sponsorship. Also they would hv cleared medicals. On the positive side, they will add value to the economy via helping with grandkids and cooking and domestic chores. This will release local labour into the economy and lessen need for more immigration. Don't you agree?

Edited by MTC

10 minutes ago, MTC said:

I actually think that most on 143 will NOT be such a burden. After all, they hv contributed a sizeable amount besides financial sponsorship. Also they would hv cleared medicals. On the positive side, they will add value to the economy via helping with grandkids and cooking and domestic chores. This will release local labour into the economy and lessen need for more immigration. Don't you agree?

No

36 minutes ago, MTC said:

No.
 Many 60 year olds would clear a medical now and 20 years later need 24 hour care or at very least, expensive joint replacements/cancer care.  As for helping with grandkids, I’m sure the economy would fair better if a childminder/nursery was used for this, that’s another job created.  I can’t imagine everyone would be moving to the other side of the world to do someone’s domestic chores but for those that do, how is that going to help the economy.  It may release a few into the labour market as you say that wouldn’t otherwise work but very few and that would in no way cover the possible tens of thousands of dollars in aged care that’s round the corner. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 4