Enter Before Date - could come and go while there are no flights

Hi everybody. 489 granted in December with an "Enter Before Date" of December 18 2020. What's the crack if UK aren't having flights out and/or Australia aren't allowing flights in and this time comes and passes for us and I assume a lot of others in a similar position where that date could be sooner?

There is a page on the Home Affairs site where you can contact for further information if you have "compelling reasons" to travel but they are asking that people only submit this form if they're travelling in the next 3 months.

We didn't have anything booked so we can wait it out and hope we can travel by then.

From the Department:

"Unable to travel to Australia (Initial Entry Date)

If you have been granted one of the below visas and you are unable to make your first entry into Australia by the date specified in your Grant Notification letter due to the travel restrictions currently in place due to COVID-19, please refer to the attached Information for First Entry to Australia.

Generally you will be able to arrive in Australia after the initial entry date, as long as it is before the “Must not arrive after date” specified in your visa Grant Notification letter.  You do not need to be granted an “extension” to your initial entry date or visa.

The attached notice should be sufficient evidence for a travel provider to be satisfied that the visa holder can enter Australia as the holder of a Skilled visa. Visa holder(s) may wish to carry a copy of this notice to present to the airline when checking in at the airport and on arrival into Australia. Please note that some delays may be encountered upon arrival into Australia while visa validity is verified.

§  Skilled Independent (subclass 189)

§  Skilled Nominated (subclass 190)

§  Skilled Regional (subclass 489)

§  Skilled Work Regional (subclass 491)

We cannot extend the validity period of your visa. If your Skilled Migration visa ceases and you have not entered Australia you will need to apply for another visa."

• Like 3

2 hours ago, paulhand said:

From the Department:

"Unable to travel to Australia (Initial Entry Date)

If you have been granted one of the below visas and you are unable to make your first entry into Australia by the date specified in your Grant Notification letter due to the travel restrictions currently in place due to COVID-19, please refer to the attached Information for First Entry to Australia.

Generally you will be able to arrive in Australia after the initial entry date, as long as it is before the “Must not arrive after date” specified in your visa Grant Notification letter.  You do not need to be granted an “extension” to your initial entry date or visa.

The attached notice should be sufficient evidence for a travel provider to be satisfied that the visa holder can enter Australia as the holder of a Skilled visa. Visa holder(s) may wish to carry a copy of this notice to present to the airline when checking in at the airport and on arrival into Australia. Please note that some delays may be encountered upon arrival into Australia while visa validity is verified.

§  Skilled Independent (subclass 189)

§  Skilled Nominated (subclass 190)

§  Skilled Regional (subclass 489)

§  Skilled Work Regional (subclass 491)

We cannot extend the validity period of your visa. If your Skilled Migration visa ceases and you have not entered Australia you will need to apply for another visa."

Thanks for the reply. The wording in all releases seems so vague, we have a "must not arrive after date" of December 18 2023 because that's when our 489 expires and the "Enter Before Date" of December 18 2020 which is the one I'm worried about. I'm assuming "initial entry date" is the same as "enter before date"...why can't they just use the same flipping terminology as the visa grant letters?! 

So I'm taking from that, that we can arrive after December 18 2020 and won't face any problems upon entry.

Do you think our Migration Agent (Overseas Emigration) will be able to send this notice to us? @Richard Gregan

Sorry if it comes across like I'm being pedantic about this as I'm not at all I'm just a bit stressed by this we've been on the home stretch of this long process only for more hurdles and we're all in the same boat I know and i really appreciate that somebody has replied and helped out 🙂 

• Like 1