Fall in migration due to Covid-19

Toots

5 hours ago, elderberry said:

Can see why you are called Nemesis. Aren't you worrying too much about too many what ifs for something that hasn't even happened yet? 

if you had lived my life you would understand why positivity is rare as it always comes back to bite me 

14 hours ago, Marisawright said:

But who are those people other than permanent residents and citizens?

People who have PR visas but haven't yet moved to Australia.  There are several of them on this thread alone.  These are the people Starlight is suggesting should stay where they are currently living for now.

50 minutes ago, NicF said:

People who have PR visas but haven't yet moved to Australia.  There are several of them on this thread alone.  These are the people Starlight is suggesting should stay where they are currently living for now.

Not happy either at the suggestion that they won’t have to pay for their quarantine? I don’t know about other states, but unless you are a Qld resident you can’t enter Qld. you need a permit even if you live here, to cross the border, so will be interesting to see how first time PR arrivals will be treated here.  not all the states are as strict.

4 hours ago, NicF said:

Try living with my mother in law and you will see why 😂😂

Each person has a different circumstance, for me I sold my house the week before lock down and moved in with my mother in law which isn't working the best.

So I either move to Aus earlier or rent in the UK which would be 6 month minimum so nearly taking us into next year.

What state will things be then nobody knows.

I will be getting a job and paying taxes so either way ill be paying for my quarantine anyway.

Edited by Lavers
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Each person has a different circumstance, for me I sold my house the week before lock down and moved in with my mother in law which isn't working the best.

So I either move to Aus earlier or rent in the UK which would be 6 month minimum so nearly taking us into next year.

I will be getting a job and paying taxes so either way ill be paying for my quarantine anyway.

Another thing regarding the quarantine is that it is keeping people working, so the cost of saved benefits can be offset against the quarantine fee which in the NT is $5000 for a family of 2 or more.  

We are starting to ease up a bit on the isolation but they are saying overseas travel will be on hold for a year at least.  Things change all the time though and maybe they will get some sort of vaccination- that would be good but I won't be holding my breath!

On 13/05/2020 at 15:05, Lavers said:

I'm a bit surprised at anyone who thinks new PR's shouldn't be allowed in.  Most people here were migrants at one time and know what that transition is like, and it would be a nightmare to suddenly get stranded halfway, stuck in limbo.  Of course you should be allowed to move.

It looks as though they're not awarding many new PR visas (and no temporary ones) currently, so the trickle of new PR's should dwindle even further.

• Like 3

On 13/05/2020 at 11:22, ramot said:

Not happy either at the suggestion that they won’t have to pay for their quarantine? I don’t know about other states, but unless you are a Qld resident you can’t enter Qld. you need a permit even if you live here, to cross the border, so will be interesting to see how first time PR arrivals will be treated here.  not all the states are as strict.

If you fly into Qld as a first time PR arrival you are treated the same as any other PR arrival. flying in

2 weeks quarantine in a hotel. 

• Like 1

Things getting back to near normal here. My youngest has his first day back at work in the beach cafe which has reopened. There's been 2 takeaway only places carried on at the beach and they've been packed. His place is a bit bigger and thought that takeaway only wouldn't keep them going.

He was excited to be back at work. He had to be there by 6:00am.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

He was excited to be back at work. He had to be there by 6:00am.

Brilliant. I really miss our 06.00 breakfast burgers !
Can't wait to get back to Aus 😊

Edited by AliQ
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, AliQ said:

Brilliant. I really miss our 06.00 breakfast burgers !
Can't wait to get back to Aus 😊

Bit quite at this time of year. Still dark at 06:00 and he was back home by 11:30. I had a look in when I went for a ski paddle about an hour ago and they were busy with a big queue and all the tables full. Nice day again today, now it's warmed up from our 6 degree min this morning. Sunny and 22 degrees now.

• Like 1

Who is leaving th move to Australia till next year because of the virus etc.....?

We keep talking through things but don't know what to do for the best?  If we stay in UK things could get much worse with the virus,  housing market etc etc....also the dollar is dropping, so who knows what it will be when we move??? We have no control over it at any time!

If we put house on the market and it sells this year, we may have to quarantine for 2 weeks in Perth on our arrival, look for work etc....what if the virus starts to spread more in WA????

Everything is just "if" at the moment!!

Worst time ever to be sorting our move to Oz.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussiebird said:

Who is leaving th move to Australia till next year because of the virus etc.....?

We keep talking through things but don't know what to do for the best?  If we stay in UK things could get much worse with the virus,  housing market etc etc....also the dollar is dropping, so who knows what it will be when we move??? We have no control over it at any time!

If we put house on the market and it sells this year, we may have to quarantine for 2 weeks in Perth on our arrival, look for work etc....what if the virus starts to spread more in WA????

We were planning on going Sept this year but have decided to book our flights for the end of June.

I've arranged for our movecube to come a week tomorrow.

It's all ifs at the moment but as you say we are worried that things could go worse and it could be years until we can get there.

We sold our house the week before lockdown so we are all set really.

Aus has done a million times better with the virus so it should be safer there than the UK.

I've checked job sites and there seems to be plenty of jobs going on for boilermakers so it all looks promising.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2020 at 06:01, Lavers said:

Movecube booked for next Friday 😱 and flights are starting to come down in price 😀

Welcome to the crazy world of moving during a pandemic!  I’m desperate to get back to Oz now, I want the kids properly at school and some sort of a normal life again!

Can anyone thinking about criticising us take a moment to consider how much planning goes into migrating.  We started our plans in February...last year.  Still tied into jobs until the end of June otherwise I’d be off tomorrow.  We also sold our house just before lockdown so currently “camping” in a tiny rental.  Most of our belongings are in storage.  I’m hoping our quarantine hotel might be bigger than this house 😂.  

We’ve booked flights and removals, both at seriously inflated costs; but have also noticed that rentals are dropping in price.  Maybe if house prices also drop in the next 6-12 months we might recoup our losses.  

Good luck with it!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

We keep talking through things but don't know what to do for the best?  If we stay in UK things could get much worse with the virus,  housing market etc etc....also the dollar is dropping, so who knows what it will be when we move??? 

I think it’s an easy decision for those who have already sold their house and given notice at work - might as well be renting and job-hunting in Australia as the UK. 

If you still have a home and secure jobs in the UK, I’m not sure I’d be risking a move now. I don’t envy you having to make that decision 

6 hours ago, Sunseeker20 said:

Welcome to the crazy world of moving during a pandemic!  I’m desperate to get back to Oz now, I want the kids properly at school and some sort of a normal life again!

Can anyone thinking about criticising us take a moment to consider how much planning goes into migrating.  We started our plans in February...last year.  Still tied into jobs until the end of June otherwise I’d be off tomorrow.  We also sold our house just before lockdown so currently “camping” in a tiny rental.  Most of our belongings are in storage.  I’m hoping our quarantine hotel might be bigger than this house 😂.  

We’ve booked flights and removals, both at seriously inflated costs; but have also noticed that rentals are dropping in price.  Maybe if house prices also drop in the next 6-12 months we might recoup our losses.  

Good luck with it!

Are you flying out of Manchester?

I am just waiting for my eldest new passport to arrive, then I will be booking.

Looking at 24th June but noticed that flights are dropping for the early July.

Hopefully more countries open there borders in the next few weeks and they drop even more 👍.

You do worry about it being safe to fly at the minute and it isnt ideal, but the thing is when will it be back to "normal" again? It could be 6 months or 2 years no one knows.

Other than covid now is the right time for us to move as a family so we just need to hope for the best.

If we leave it until next year my eldest would be starting high school so she may not want to leave her friends then. This way she will have a year and a bit of primary in Austrslia, then move to high school with her new friends.

11 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

In my opinion it's very unlikely that we'll have a sudden increase in WA, we had had no new cases for 8 days until today  and there are only 6 active cases in the State.

With the State border still closed there's little chance of a new outbreak.

Edited by Drumbeat
updated figures
  • Like 3

This is our thinking, if we wait to see what happens with the virus in the UK, how long will it be before back to some normality?? 6 months, 2 years etc etc......

We have family to stay with in Oz and will keep our stuff in storage when it arrives if we havent bought a house, and we will have to quarantine for 2 weeks first anyway, so we wouldnt be in a position to find jobs or a house to start with. Haven't heard how long WA borders will be closed for.

Our biggest hurdle is to sell our house now.  Of course family will have there opinion and will be the negative ones and try and stop us going, but as mentioned by others, if we dont go as soon as, we could be stuck here even longer and may never get to move.

I have spoken with PSS and they tell me they are not visiting poeples houses yet, maybe not until mid to end of june, so if we get a buyer rather soon then hopefully if things dont get worse, we can get a quote done for our shipping, it's all got run smoothly!

Flights: not looking at the moment as too early to book, really should wait until our house sale is going through and have exchanged contracts, then will look.

Hopefully we can book removals at some stage.

And breath!!

8 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

For anyone going to Oz this year, are there special flights you have to book or can you just book with any airline? 

If already booked, can you please advise who you are flying with and the conditions of the booking, thank you. 

Xx

I'm booking in the next few weeks just watching flights dropping in price.

Only Qatar flying at the minute, other airlines are showing in July but I think that's just there normal schedule, so could possibly change.

Dont think you need anything special I am just carrying my visa approval with me.

46 minutes ago, Aussiebird said:

For anyone going to Oz this year, are there special flights you have to book or can you just book with any airline? 

If already booked, can you please advise who you are flying with and the conditions of the booking, thank you. 

Xx

Singapore Airlines are increasing their flights to Australia from June 30th, not to all States, but Brisbane is now included from that date.

We'll confirm the date for our flights within the next couple of weeks or so.

Edited by AliQ

5 hours ago, Lavers said:

Are you flying out of Manchester?

I am just waiting for my eldest new passport to arrive, then I will be booking.

Looking at 24th June but noticed that flights are dropping for the early July.

Hopefully more countries open there borders in the next few weeks and they drop even more 👍.

You do worry about it being safe to fly at the minute and it isnt ideal, but the thing is when will it be back to "normal" again? It could be 6 months or 2 years no one knows.

Other than covid now is the right time for us to move as a family so we just need to hope for the best.

If we leave it until next year my eldest would be starting high school so she may not want to leave her friends then. This way she will have a year and a bit of primary in Austrslia, then move to high school with her new friends.

We are flying out of Heathrow then via Doha to Melbourne.  With Qatar.  We haven’t booked on onwards flights to Tas yet.  Couldn’t book a complete journey as we have to quarantine in melbourne.  If we book those flights now we’ll only have to pay to change them if Qatar reschedule on us again.  

Another problem - we have no travel insurance.  Couldn’t get any even excluding covid.  

Your kids are only slightly younger than mine; finishing years 6 and 8 here.  The older one will be straight into high school but before she has to choose options.  My younger one will have a few more months of primary school so maybe catch up what she has missed here.  She’s quite chuffed that she won’t miss out on end of primary school celebrations after all!  Still having a nightmare trying to get school refunds for cancelled trips.

Its funny I hadn’t really considered the safety aspect of flying.  I’m a key worker so the most dangerous thing I do is go to work!  UK is probably more contaminated than anywhere else the Qatar planes have been and luckily we are a generally healthy bunch.