Fall in migration due to Covid-19

Toots

1 hour ago, icy_evening said:

Yes. The 14 day quarantine is mandatory with almost no exceptions, and that includes Australian citizens. So you will definitely be doing quarantine. I don't expect that to be done away with any time soon. However, at the moment the government is paying for it. I won't be surprised if they start charging people for it in a few months, especially if they're not citizens. 

Unlike the UK, Australia actually somewhat knows what it's doing. 

I agree with you. I reckon it will become chargeable in a few months, and thank goodness Australia is doing so well with this Covid so far

1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

Is it true they are actually stopping the isolation over in the UK?  

To some degree, I think more non essential shops can open possibly Monday.

They are talking of schools going back start of June.

I don't see how personally as there's still 6000 plus cases a day and 600 plus deaths.

Too bothered about money

19 hours ago, Lavers said:

I live in the Rossendale valley so not too far from where you use to live.

Not a bad area but nestled between Rochdale (Shit hole) & Burnley which isn't as bad but still run down a little.

SA winter will be like my summer 😂

Yeh, Hyde was a dump when we left and it's got worse. Stockport wasn't too bad but that's got worse too. Manchester was OK  for a visit but wouldn't have wanted to live any closer. Not a City fan, too many people everywhere.

Funny when we've been back there on holiday we've had some laughs with kids. I went a long bike ride with my youngest along the canal but needed new tubes for the borrowed bikes. Took him to a bike shop in Hyde and left the bikes outside while we popped in. Lady owner told us to bring the bikes in as they might get nicked. Youngest couldn't believe it. They were old crappy things. He goes down the beach, out on his board for hours here and leaves his bag on the beach with phone, wallet, clothes. We tell him often not too but he's not had any problems yet. Cottesloe would be a different story though, there's a train you can catch to there and you can spot the kids down from town and dodgy areas on the prowl for stuff. They don't dress for the beach though.

13 hours ago, Lavers said:

To some degree, I think more non essential shops can open possibly Monday.

They are talking of schools going back start of June.

I don't see how personally as there's still 6000 plus cases a day and 600 plus deaths.

Too bothered about money

My advice I have learned from this and which was pointed out at yesterday’s briefing. The newspapers are taking shite. The lockdown was officially extended 3 weeks yesterday. On Sunday it is thought that at best people will be allowed to go for more exercise 

3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Yeh, Hyde was a dump when we left and it's got worse. Stockport wasn't too bad but that's got worse too. Manchester was OK  for a visit but wouldn't have wanted to live any closer. Not a City fan, too many people everywhere.

Funny when we've been back there on holiday we've had some laughs with kids. I went a long bike ride with my youngest along the canal but needed new tubes for the borrowed bikes. Took him to a bike shop in Hyde and left the bikes outside while we popped in. Lady owner told us to bring the bikes in as they might get nicked. Youngest couldn't believe it. They were old crappy things. He goes down the beach, out on his board for hours here and leaves his bag on the beach with phone, wallet, clothes. We tell him often not too but he's not had any problems yet. Cottesloe would be a different story though, there's a train you can catch to there and you can spot the kids down from town and dodgy areas on the prowl for stuff. They don't dress for the beach though.

Theres no way I'd be leaving anything outside here it would be gone.

Rossendale isnt too bad and its quite an expensive area to buy in. House prices have rocketed as they've set up easy links to commute into Manchester.

You're looking £200,000 for some of the terraced houses, I've compared what I can get here to similar areas in Adelaide and it's like a dream home in Aus.

The problem we have here is that gangs travel from outside the area to commit the crimes. Taking cars off drives day or night is big at the minute and theres also been people car jacked when there on their way to pick there kids up from school.

They have shut the local police stations so they know its 30mins until they can even get here.

Police aren't bothered either they just give you a crime number and tell you to claim on your insurance.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

My advice I have learned from this and which was pointed out at yesterday’s briefing. The newspapers are taking shite. The lockdown was officially extended 3 weeks yesterday. On Sunday it is thought that at best people will be allowed to go for more exercise 

And that's all it should be, theres been things popping up every week with new lists.

I said at the start of all this that it would be until the end of May they just couldn't tell us this at the start because there would be uproar and people hanging from the trees.

We didnt do a tough enough lockdown and over the last week everywhere seems busy again.

It has been conflicting info from the start, it was mentioned of one MP that you should only walk for 1 hour and dont drive anywhere, then another said it's ok to drive somewhere as long as you walk for longer than the drive took.

I'm lucky really I can walk out of my door with the kids and go straight on hills away from everyone.

Just checked and only Scotland has extended the lock down with Boris doing his speech sunday. I still only expect minimum alterations though.

Edited by Lavers
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, VERYSTORMY said:

That’s right. It may be that people can take a picnic to the park and the odd thing like that but lockdown remains. I think if people act stupidly this bank holiday then there will be nothing extra offered. Reckon they’re waiting until Sunday to give any offerings depending on how people behave. It’s getting worse, far more people out and about, they are getting complacent. I work in a town and I’ve noticed a big change over the last week on the roads and on foot. I’m not sure what it will take to get the message through.  I hope they don’t offer more right now as if you give them an inch they are likely to take a mile. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

On 04/05/2020 at 09:12, Lavers said:

An opinion from you if you will.

Just weighing up if we make the move now instead of Sept as planned or are we stupid for doing it.

* Flights are double but will they be different in Sept.

* 14 day quarantine paid for but will that be different in Sept and maybe change where we have to pay

* Airbnb are cheaper so that offsets some of the flight cost.

* Things could change for the worse and we are stuck in the UK for 12 months or longer.

Ive checked the job sites and there are still jobs going on for my trade (metal fabricator). Also would we be able to look around at rentals when we are ready in a few months time.

What are your thoughts?

@Lavers May I ask how you know that the quarantine stay is still being paid for by the Au gov? There has to be a cut off to this coming soon? 

5 hours ago, Loxxy said:

@Lavers May I ask how you know that the quarantine stay is still being paid for by the Au gov? There has to be a cut off to this coming soon? 

I agree that there will be a cut off but at the minute it doesnt say anything on any website about having to pay, so until they tell us that you have to pay I'm assuming that it's free.

Heres the page regarding info about having to pay in the NT, the price isnt as bad as I thought it was but still something I'd rather not pay.

https://coronavirus.nt.gov.au/stay-safe/quarantine/quarantine-fee

With new arrivals like myself not having an income, would I fall under low income earner and pay the reduced fee?

Edited by Lavers

1 hour ago, Lavers said:

Heres the page regarding info about having to pay in the NT, the price isnt as bad as I thought it was but still something I'd rather not pay.

https://coronavirus.nt.gov.au/stay-safe/quarantine/quarantine-fee

With new arrivals like myself not having an income, would I fall under low income earner and pay the reduced fee?

I doubt it, as it wants the tax return from the previous year....

It makes me laugh when they say the government is paying for things.  It is us, the taxpayers who pay.  The government doesn't pay for anything. They don't ask us,either. I feel that we should NOT be paying- if people want to go overseas then it is up to them to pay now that they know what is going to happen.  Fair enough at the start when it was kind of 'sprung' on everyone but not now. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, starlight7 said:

It makes me laugh when they say the government is paying for things.  It is us, the taxpayers who pay.  The government doesn't pay for anything. They don't ask us,either. I feel that we should NOT be paying- if people want to go overseas then it is up to them to pay now that they know what is going to happen.  Fair enough at the start when it was kind of 'sprung' on everyone but not now. 

Surely though part of the issue is that some cities - definitely Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, are using 4-5 star hotels and have security n place etc. You HAVE to use the hotel they send you to. How many people can afford food and accom for a famiiy for two weeks in a 5 star? if they want people to pay themselves they cannot force them into hotels they can't pay for.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Surely though part of the issue is that some cities - definitely Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, are using 4-5 star hotels and have security n place etc. You HAVE to use the hotel they send you to. How many people can afford food and accom for a famiiy for two weeks in a 5 star? if they want people to pay themselves they cannot force them into hotels they can't pay for.

No that is not the issue. When this came in, Australians had already been told not to go overseas for weeks beforehand. We are now maybe 8 weeks beyond when this came in, where that call has continued as well as some special repatriation flights to bring Australians back. Us taxpayers are paying for this - to ensure we can stay safe with new arrivals. Yes they have been using nice hotels at times in Sydney and Melbourne - with no tourists allowed in why not use crown hotels for example in Melbourne? After all, you are stuck in a room for 14 days, so I guess they've made that as nice as they can.

It's got nothing to do with market rates of hotels in what people would need to pay coming in for quarantine. There is security to pay for to stop people leaving their rooms, food, ongoing medical checks and testing etc. It's a choice to come here, not fair that the rest of us need to pick up the bill.

I'd rather they charge new arrivals and spend equivalent money on hotel rooms (non-quarantined) for essential workers that are forced to live separate from their families to keep them all safe. 

Edited by elderberry
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, starlight7 said:

But @starlight7, these are not people who are "going overseas" for a jaunt.  These are largely Australian citizens and residents who've been overseas since before lockdown started, and who have finally managed to get home.

Currently, only Australian citizens and permanent residents are allowed to arrive in Australia, and then they're not allowed to leave again without special permission.

Foreigners and temporary visa holders can leave Australia, but then they will not be allowed back into the country.

• Like 2

I'm not talking about Australians who have been stranded until now, obviously. It is people who choose to come here knowing the situation.  That would include would-be migrants. Why should we pay?  They know the situation and should factor it in to their trip.

39 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

I'm not talking about Australians who have been stranded until now, obviously. It is people who choose to come here knowing the situation.  That would include would-be migrants. Why should we pay?  They know the situation and should factor it in to their trip.

But who are those people other than permanent residents and citizens?

1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

I think they should wait until I arrive 😎

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

But who are those people other than permanent residents and citizens?

Exactly. For example,its possible to get an exemption if a parent dies abroad, you go deal with the funeral, the affairs whatever. You then fly back and are promptly hit by the government saying you MUST use this hotel its 5 star but tough, you chose to go on a jaunt to bury your mother, here;'s the bill for your $1000 per night room.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Exactly. For example,its possible to get an exemption if a parent dies abroad, you go deal with the funeral, the affairs whatever. You then fly back and are promptly hit by the government saying you MUST use this hotel its 5 star but tough, you chose to go on a jaunt to bury your mother, here;'s the bill for your $1000 per night room.

Can see why you are called Nemesis. Aren't you worrying too much about too many what ifs for something that hasn't even happened yet? 

• Like 1