Fall in migration due to Covid-19

Toots

30 minutes ago, North to South said:

Hi,  I know some airlines are showing availability, but that's not a guarantee they will operate those flights and not sure if I'd still want to travel through any far-east hubs.  I'm travelling (hopefully) in July/August to Adelaide and will more than likely use Qatar.  I'd also look at the price of return flights as I noticed with Qatar when looking at one way business class flights they were over £1200 more expensive than a return which to me made no sense.

If Qantas are operating by then I will go for the London - Perth direct flight to avoid any stopovers.  I know it'll mean quarantine in Perth, but I'm happy to do that if it reduces one of the risks on flying.

I have been checking Qatar as that seems to be the only airline coming out of Manchester. 

Just had a look at the return flights but you have to select outbound and inbound for that which ends up a lot more expensive.

If I was to book a flight start of July and pay the money now...if the flight went ahead would they ask for more money, or would it just stay at the cheaper rate I paid?

Be careful. We came back from Raratonga to Melbourne end of March.  When we got to the airport they said the Australian and New Zealand borders were both closed and we couldn't get out.  It took many hours of phone calls to the Australian embassy before the Australians were allowed back in.  Anyone not on a full Australian passport had no hope- including some flying on British passports with visas.  I think those people eventually got out but it was a worry for them. We had no idea how difficult it all was until we got to the airport.

3 hours ago, Lavers said:

I have been checking Qatar as that seems to be the only airline coming out of Manchester. 

Just had a look at the return flights but you have to select outbound and inbound for that which ends up a lot more expensive.

If I was to book a flight start of July and pay the money now...if the flight went ahead would they ask for more money, or would it just stay at the cheaper rate I paid?

Hi, I just checked on a random date from Manchester to Adelaide in July and it was about £200 more expensive than the same date, but with a return in November.  I honestly don’t know what Qatar’s policy is, but I’m not planning on booking any flights until about 3-4 weeks before we leave as I feel now you are potentially paying higher fares because of the reduced flights.  

I have to believe if Singapore/Cathay/Emirates start operating some flights then availability and prices should become closer to normal unless of course they have to operate at a reduced capacity then I can see prices close to what we see now.

48 minutes ago, North to South said:

Hi, I just checked on a random date from Manchester to Adelaide in July and it was about £200 more expensive than the same date, but with a return in November.  I honestly don’t know what Qatar’s policy is, but I’m not planning on booking any flights until about 3-4 weeks before we leave as I feel now you are potentially paying higher fares because of the reduced flights.  

I have to believe if Singapore/Cathay/Emirates start operating some flights then availability and prices should become closer to normal unless of course they have to operate at a reduced capacity then I can see prices close to what we see now.

As Qatar are the only ones operating then they can charge what they want, but at least the are still operating as for some it will be priceless.

I'm sure that when the other airlines start operating then we will see lower fares as they are competing, even if not down to what the where before covid. 

4 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Be careful. We came back from Raratonga to Melbourne end of March.  When we got to the airport they said the Australian and New Zealand borders were both closed and we couldn't get out.  It took many hours of phone calls to the Australian embassy before the Australians were allowed back in.  Anyone not on a full Australian passport had no hope- including some flying on British passports with visas.  I think those people eventually got out but it was a worry for them. We had no idea how difficult it all was until we got to the airport.

Rules are quite clear now.  Permanent Residents and Australian Citizens are allowed in,

• Like 3

Qatar have continued to operate throughout. My parents managed to get back to UK a few weeks ago no worries - but it was switched to LHR. Seems quarantine in Adelaide and Perth is getting better reviews than Sydney/Melbs but pot luck I guess.

Getting near to their travel date (out 5 weeks or so), prices ramped up quickly.

Can't see you having many other options for a while somehow, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if you get less options as less people remain to return to Au and only temporary visa holders can leave and have gone!

• Thanks 1

On 03/05/2020 at 20:47, Lavers said:

Suppose you are correct, looks like I'll have to do a quarantine then.

Which sectors are worst hit in Aus, hospitality?

Hospitality, tourism, airline/airport operations.

Have you got a flight booked? Some of the hotels and resorts used for quarantine are OK. If you get a resort type place where you can at least go and sit outside, with a seperate bedroom and good bathroom then it's pretty doable. If you're stuck in one room with no balcony not so good. My sons just had to quarantine in Karatha for 2 weeks before he goes on to a rig, he's an inlec. He found it OK but they had big rooms with a deck where they could sit out. Helped that he was getting paid offshore rate for the 2 weeks though.

On 04/05/2020 at 16:12, Lavers said:

An opinion from you if you will.

Just weighing up if we make the move now instead of Sept as planned or are we stupid for doing it.

* Flights are double but will they be different in Sept.

* 14 day quarantine paid for but will that be different in Sept and maybe change where we have to pay

* Airbnb are cheaper so that offsets some of the flight cost.

* Things could change for the worse and we are stuck in the UK for 12 months or longer.

Ive checked the job sites and there are still jobs going on for my trade (metal fabricator). Also would we be able to look around at rentals when we are ready in a few months time.

What are your thoughts?

I would wait till September. Things could have relaxed a lot by then. The economy should be on the rebound and jobs easier to come by.

My friend is a welder, metal fabricator and has been working the whole time. Said forward orders aren't looking too good though so he's expecting tougher times coming. 

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I would wait till September. Things could have relaxed a lot by then. The economy should be on the rebound and jobs easier to come by.

My friend is a welder, metal fabricator and has been working the whole time. Said forward orders aren't looking too good though so he's expecting tougher times coming. 

Cheers Paul

Is your mate in WA?

Similar to me here, we are busy for the next couple of months then customers seem hesitant on placing orders until they know what is going on with covid.

Not booked flights yet just weighing everything up, the earliest we could be ready to go is the start of June, but im trying to drag it out until towards the end of June just to get another couple of wages in the bank.

Was planning on having a few months off whilst we sort housing and the kids schools out.

4 hours ago, elderberry said:

Seems quarantine in Adelaide and Perth is getting better reviews than Sydney/Melbs but pot luck I guess.

Considering you get 2 weeks in a hotel with all meals/food provided for free it can't be too bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lavers said:

Cheers Paul

Is your mate in WA?

Similar to me here, we are busy for the next couple of months then customers seem hesitant on placing orders until they know what is going on with covid.

Not booked flights yet just weighing everything up, the earliest we could be ready to go is the start of June, but im trying to drag it out until towards the end of June just to get another couple of wages in the bank.

Was planning on having a few months off whilst we sort housing and the kids schools out.

Yep, close to Perth, he's never fancied FIFO. I'm sure it's a worldwide slowdown so everyone is hoping it picks up quick.

On the upside for here mining doesn't seem to have slowed down much. FIFO guys have had to isolate each swing and they've extended rosters. I know some big jobs have been put on hold, so they'll need doing when it calms down and travels easier.

Good luck, good idea to plan time off to look around. Another reason for not coming earlier is it will be winter here. Don't want to be in a new place and the weather be crap. It's a different world when the suns shining. September should be coming good with summer to look forward to. You can always take the kids to the beach if you're out of work for a while😎

11 minutes ago, Parley said:

Considering you get 2 weeks in a hotel with all meals/food provided for free it can't be too bad.

No indeed that's true. I think it's a small price to pay (loss of freedom) to keep all of us safe. 

I really can't see them opening up the border to international travel (except maybe NZ) before next year. Once we get beyond repatriation of Australians back here I think that 2 weeks quarantine should be chargeable for all new arrivals as part of the airfare surcharges.

27 minutes ago, Parley said:

It is bad.  Microwaved meals with no provision of microwaves and far worse.  For many it’s a nightmare 

1 hour ago, Lavers said:

Cheers Paul

Is your mate in WA?

Are you from the Manchester area? We used to live in Gee Cross, near Hyde before we emigrated.

9 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Are you from the Manchester area? We used to live in Gee Cross, near Hyde before we emigrated.

I live in the Rossendale valley so not too far from where you use to live.

Not a bad area but nestled between Rochdale (Shit hole) & Burnley which isn't as bad but still run down a little.

SA winter will be like my summer 😂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, elderberry said:

September is a nice time to come here - you can get some warmer days (cold nights tho and don't expect UK type of insulation..think more living in a tent)

I'd happily skip June, July, August - 3 months of winter is too much for me!

On the upside its better than the 5 - 6 months winter in the UK 😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lavers said:

On the upside its better than the 5 - 6 months winter in the UK 😉

Bring your winter clothes Lavers.  It can get very chilly in winter here and as someone else said, a lot of the houses are badly insulated with no double glazing.  You're probably used to a well insulated house with central heating and will really notice the difference here during winter.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Toots said:

Bring your winter clothes Lavers.  It can get very chilly in winter here and as someone else said, a lot of the houses are badly insulated with no double glazing.  You're probably used to a well insulated house with central heating and will really notice the difference here during winter.

Some older houses.  Stringent regulations re insulation etc on recent builds.  

2 hours ago, elderberry said:

September is a nice time to come here - you can get some warmer days (cold nights tho and don't expect UK type of insulation..think more living in a tent)

I'd happily skip June, July, August - 3 months of winter is too much for me!

I don't mind winter and I'm on the north west coast of Tasmania which isn't as cold as other areas of Tassie.  We don't get snow and frost is gone by 9 am but we do get the full blast of wind either off the Bass Strait or off the mountains.  Luckily we have a cosy house which makes it a lot more comfortable.  Lots of retired people lock their houses up and head for QLD for 2 or 3 months.  They won't able to do that this year due to borders being closed.

3 hours ago, Lavers said:

I live in the Rossendale valley so not too far from where you use to live.

Not a bad area but nestled between Rochdale (Shit hole) & Burnley which isn't as bad but still run down a little.

SA winter will be like my summer 😂

We had a family business in Edenfield for years. I used to love going playing on the moors behind the works as a kid.

As for winter, i'm in fleeces and warn PJs now, albeit its 8pm and i'm  sat in the patio but you will be surprised how quick you climatise. We have gone from lovely and warm to cold in a week because of a cold snap that hit, by jeeez do i feel it,lol

Cal x

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, calNgary said:

We had a family business in Edenfield for years. I used to love going playing on the moors behind the works as a kid.

As for winter, i'm in fleeces and warn PJs now, albeit its 8pm and i'm  sat in the patio but you will be surprised how quick you climatise. We have gone from lovely and warm to cold in a week because of a cold snap that hit, by jeeez do i feel it,lol

Cal x

I was walking near there last weekend.

Took the kids to the plunge for a paddle in the river, then took them to the waterfall just a little further down stream.

Couldn't stay for long as we kept getting dirty looks of people walking by.

• Haha 1

On 03/05/2020 at 18:12, Lavers said:

Does that mean that the 14day quarantine upon arrival will stay in place?

Yes. The 14 day quarantine is mandatory with almost no exceptions, and that includes Australian citizens. So you will definitely be doing quarantine. I don't expect that to be done away with any time soon. However, at the moment the government is paying for it. I won't be surprised if they start charging people for it in a few months, especially if they're not citizens. 

Unlike the UK, Australia actually somewhat knows what it's doing. 

1 hour ago, icy_evening said:

Yes. The 14 day quarantine is mandatory with almost no exceptions, and that includes Australian citizens. So you will definitely be doing quarantine. I don't expect that to be done away with any time soon. However, at the moment the government is paying for it. I won't be surprised if they start charging people for it in a few months, especially if they're not citizens. 

Unlike the UK, Australia actually somewhat knows what it's doing. 

Too true 

UK gov = £ over health