HELP! Advice needed for career (Perth)

Jack Stokes

Hi,

Me and my fiancée are currently discussing a permanent move to Perth.

Currently I am a electrical fitter at a worldwide defence and security company manufacturing x-ray systems to scan cargo vehicles.

I currently hold the following qualifications:

• BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering

• EAL Level 3 NVQ Extended Diploma in Electrical & Electronic Engineering

• Advanced Level Apprenticeship in Engineering Manufacture (Electrical & Electronic Engineering)

• HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering

Can anyone give me an insight into the job opportunities related to my qualifications in and around Perth? Also some info on salaries would be useful!

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank You,

Jack

Before you can even think about jobs, you need to find out whether you can get a visa.   

If you're thinking of getting a job so an employer will pay for you to move out to Perth, be aware that it's very unlikely.  Firstly, employers can't sponsor just anyone, your job has to be on a short list of eligible occupations.  Secondly, it's expensive and complicated for employers, so they won't do it unless they're really desperate.  Your best bet for an employer sponsor would be to see if your current employer can offer a transfer.

If you're thinking of moving out to Australia permanently, then your first step is to find out if your occupation is on the Skilled Lists.  If it is, then you need to check if you've got the qualifications and experience specified.   If you do, then you need to work out if you can score enough points on the points system.  You only need 65 points to apply, but it's a competitive process - right now, there's no point in applying if you score less than 90 points, because you wouldn't stand a chance.

• Like 1

Try this website as a starting point:

https://ablis.business.gov.au/service/wa/electricians-licence/32545

You may need to go to TAFE (to do an electrical fitting course) but also seek to have your qualifications recognised under RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) as this can vastly reduce the number of modules you need to complete at TAFE, they may even decide you don’t need to do any at all to get a WA licence depending on your proven skill set.

• Like 1

Try Hays Globalink for job opportunities in Perth (and the rest of Australia). Once you have determined that you are eligible for a visa, you will at least have an idea what jobs are available to you, and where. https://www.hays.com.au/coming-to-australia Good luck. 

Diane Boyce
Construction Management, Architecture, Planning and Trades
T: +44 203 465 0158
E: diane.boyce@hays.com

Edited by mrsmac
  • Thanks 1