Primary and secondary visa applications

Thewilliamsons2020

Hi Guys,

Me, my husband and our 2 children are looking to emigrate to Brisbane. We are very early on in our research and finding the visa process very confusing. I wanted to know... if my husband is the main applicant (hes a electrical/mechanical engineer and on the MLTSSL and I am the secondary applicant (customer services manager) which is not in demand. Would I still be able to get a job in customer services as I am the secondary app?

• Like 1

Hi Marisawright

Thank you for the reply. I understand the visas dont get you jobs. What I'm asking is (assuming my husbands visa is granted as his role is on the high demand list) I'm not sure what visa it is I can apply for? My role is currently not in demand so would this mean I cant go? Or have to apply for a whv?

1 hour ago, Thewilliamsons2020 said:

Hi Guys,

Me, my husband and our 2 children are looking to emigrate to Brisbane. We are very early on in our research and finding the visa process very confusing. I wanted to know... if my husband is the main applicant (hes a electrical/mechanical engineer and on the MLTSSL and I am the secondary applicant (customer services manager) which is not in demand. Would I still be able to get a job in customer services as I am the secondary app?

It would depend on the specific visa but very few have work restrictions for partners who have ''piggy backed'' on their spouse's application. If your going for a normal skilled PR visa then you can work when you arrive, it doesnt matter what occupation you did, you can work in what ever profession you want if you have the qualifications to do so.

Lots of luck with everything

Cal x

Hi calNGary!

Thank you so much for the reply! That makes sense! 

So if my husband got his visa. We also have cousins currently in Brisbane who said they would be happy to sponsor me. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question  🙈  but do you know if thier sponsorship of me, would allow me to work?

I'm trying to do as much research as I can online, but it's so much easier when you can talk to someone! 

Thank you for your help!

Jade xx

• Like 1

If your husband is eligible for a skilled visa, then you are included in his application as a dependent, as are the children. You do not need to be ‘sponsored’ by anyone and you can do any sort of work you want. I would suggest that you get some professional advice so that you can fully understand how the process works and what will be required for a successful application. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Thewilliamsons2020 said:

Hi calNGary!

Thank you so much for the reply! That makes sense! 

So if my husband got his visa. We also have cousins currently in Brisbane who said they would be happy to sponsor me. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question  🙈  but do you know if thier sponsorship of me, would allow me to work?

I'm trying to do as much research as I can online, but it's so much easier when you can talk to someone! 

Thank you for your help!

Jade xx

No you would go on your hubby's visa, you would need to be included in his application, as would any children you are wanting to bring with you if you have any.Your cousins wouldn't be able to sponsor you. 

Have you had a look at visa types and if your hubby's occupation is on 'the list'? or had a chat with any agents? Its a fair few years since we applied (i piggy backed on my hubbys visa) but i dont envy you it can be a stressful time and well worth getting an agent involved to help.

Cal x

• Thanks 1

Thanks Cal, I was abit dubious about talking to agents as there are so many and I've read alot of bad reviews. I'll have another look now. I didnt realise I could "piggy back" this is good to know. I thought I would need my own so this is really good to read! 

I know its something we really want to do, and we are lucky we have cousins to be able to emotionally support us and be a hand when we get there. There is just so so so much to do and find out about. It's hard to know where to start! 

Thank you so much for replying you've been really helpful!

Jade  x

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paulhand said:

If your husband is eligible for a skilled visa, then you are included in his application as a dependent, as are the children. You do not need to be ‘sponsored’ by anyone and you can do any sort of work you want. I would suggest that you get some professional advice so that you can fully understand how the process works and what will be required for a successful application. 

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the reply I really appreciate it. As I said we are very early on in our plans and trying to get as much info as possible there are alot of things I dont know. And you are definitely right in getting some professional advice. I was a bit worried about using an agent as some of the costs are massive, and wasnt sure which ones to approach. I'll have a closer look at this now

Jade 🙂

10 minutes ago, Thewilliamsons2020 said:

I was a bit worried about using an agent as some of the costs are massive, and wasnt sure which ones to approach. I'll have a closer look at this now

In the context of the overall costs of a skilled visa application for a family of 4 and a move to Australia, the costs of a reputable agent will not be that great. 

14 minutes ago, Thewilliamsons2020 said:

I was abit dubious about talking to agents as there are so many and I've read alot of bad reviews. I'll have another look now.

All the agents who post in this forum regularly are reputable and able to assist you.

• Like 1