Citizenship application and change of name

CarolineC

Hello!

I will be able to apply for citizenship in January. I’m currently have PR on a 190 visa (ACT sponsored). I recently got married and am wondering how changing my name will affect the citizenship application process? And my current visa?

Do I update the name change on my immi account? How? Under my 190 application?

Do I have to update my UK passport with my new name and how will that affect my visa (since it’s linked to my passport)?

I’m scared to change my name and then apply for citizenship with two names or with the wrong name ... but I want to apply in my new name and have already changed some things over. I’d rather not change my UK passport because of the delays at the moment and because I still have a few years on it. 

Thanks for any help!

5 hours ago, CarolineC said:

Do I update the name change on my immi account? How? Under my 190 application?

Do I have to update my UK passport with my new name and how will that affect my visa (since it’s linked to my passport)?

You don’t have to change your name when you get married ... it’s your choice. If you do then update it in your Immi account. Your State BDM website will have details. 

Edited by paulhand