Parley

Are you downloading COVIDSafe app ?

I'm still deciding.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Done.  It’s has so many Sections/functions It will take a while to work through  it.  Nothing like I expected and a nifty piece of work

This guy has a fairly detailed teardown for those that are concerned about what it does and how it works.

My main concern is that the end data is stored on AWS that could be grabbed at any time by the US Government

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IELTS 08/06/13: 9.0. - ACS Assessment: 02/08/13. Result 13/11/13. VIC SS 20/11/13. EOI 20/11/13. VIC SS Resubmitted 20/06/14, Approved 02/07/14. Visa Application (190) 14/07/14. CO assigned, Meds/PCC requested 27/08/14. Granted 24/10/14!! Activated 31/03/15. Arrival 27/08/15.Citizenship Applied 17/04/2019,  Test confirmed 09/07/2019 for 15/12/2019, Online invite 05/06/2020. Ceremony 18/06/2020

I have just downloaded and installed it.

We should all do what we can to help is my opinion.

Most large corporations are using AWS so no problem with that at all. Who says the US government can get it anyway. AWS has data centres all over the world not just in the US. They have a data centre in Sydney so probably the data is stored there.

21 minutes ago, kevsan said:

My main concern is that the end data is stored on AWS that could be grabbed at any time by the US Government

You better avoid Microsoft, Apple, Google, Facebook and every other US software then just to be on the safe side.

Wait for an Australian company to create alternatives 🤣

• Like 2

The issue is the Patriot Act that all US companies are beholden to that forces them to give and and all data to the US government when requested and they are not allowed to tell anyone about it. So regardless of the AWS Region (Sydney) or Edge Location (Melbourne) of where its stored, the US government can (in theory) claim access to all of it.

However if you've used any form of Social Media, your privacy ship has already sailed

The issue is the Patriot Act that all US companies are beholden to that forces them to give and and all data to the US government when requested and they are not allowed to tell anyone about it. So regardless of the AWS Region (Sydney) or Edge Location (Melbourne) of where its stored, the US government can (in theory) claim access to all of it.

However if you've used any form of Social Media, your privacy ship has already sailed

• Like 1

IELTS 08/06/13: 9.0. - ACS Assessment: 02/08/13. Result 13/11/13. VIC SS 20/11/13. EOI 20/11/13. VIC SS Resubmitted 20/06/14, Approved 02/07/14. Visa Application (190) 14/07/14. CO assigned, Meds/PCC requested 27/08/14. Granted 24/10/14!! Activated 31/03/15. Arrival 27/08/15.Citizenship Applied 17/04/2019,  Test confirmed 09/07/2019 for 15/12/2019, Online invite 05/06/2020. Ceremony 18/06/2020

1 minute ago, Parley said:

You better avoid Microsoft, Apple, Google, Facebook and every other US software then just to be on the safe side.

Wait for an Australian company to create alternatives 🤣

Yep - not disagreeing.. its a fine mess we have got ourselves into over the last 10 years

14 hours ago, Parley said:

I'm still deciding.

I've downloaded it but I have an iphone and there are issues with the way it works with iphones apparently so it may not be as useful.  Given the amount and type of data the app gathers I think it's far less of a risk than most of the apps we have on our phones these days.  

• Like 2

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

I downloaded it last night.

Any step that helps restore some normality is worth a go in my opinion.  There are hundreds of thousands of people who have lost their livelihoods and if this helps get them back to work sooner - and I believe it will - then why would you not?

However if you think that this is in some tiny way an invasion of your privacy, and that your privacy is the most important issue right now, then don’t do it.

• Like 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

I’m going to leave it a couple of weeks, see how things go, then assuming no major issues with the technology or its application, (or any issues have been ironed out in that time), I’ll download it

I will. I have mygov so they already know my ATO, Medicare etc. 
I think apps like Facebook take a lot more information from you anyway. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CarolineC said:

I will. I have mygov so they already know my ATO, Medicare etc. 
I think apps like Facebook take a lot more information from you anyway. 

All it takes is a name and phone number so they can ring you if you were physically close to someone who tested positive to Covid.

Already done.  Given the very minimal information needed to enter, I don't see an issue with it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kevsan said:

This guy has a fairly detailed teardown for those that are concerned about what it does and how it works.

Thry have released the source code according to the news today 

5 hours ago, Parley said:

All it takes is a name and phone number so they can ring you if you were physically close to someone who tested positive to Covid.

And then do what?

19 hours ago, Bulya said:

Done.  It’s has so many Sections/functions It will take a while to work through  it.  Nothing like I expected and a nifty piece of work

Sounds like you downloaded the wrong one. 

There’s another app with advice on the virus etc. That’s the wrong one. You want the one called COVIDSafe and it just asks for your details, and that’s that

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

20 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

And then do what?

They offer you a test

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

They offer you a test

You wait 5 days for the result and continue to walk around?

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

No.  You must self-isolate while waiting for the result.  I don’t know how long it takes.

If you are showing symptoms then having a test and then walking around would be dumb in the extreme anyway.

Edited by Gbye grey sky

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

4 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

No.  You must self-isolate while waiting for the result.  I don’t know how long it takes.

If you are showing symptoms then having a test and then walking around would be dumb in the extreme anyway.

Well as this pandemic has shown there is an endless supply of dumb people. The app of itself is only part of equation, people will have to be physically monitored and forced to isolate, and that is the part that govts are shying away from. 

It is absolutely pathetic and a typical Australian stuff up as far as I'm concerned.  The app asks for a phone number to verify and then....nothing.  Not just me, but other family members too.  So I will be deleting it because if they can't even get that right I wouldn't trust them.

2 million downloads in 24 hours.  Naysayers are few and far between 

On 26/04/2020 at 19:23, Parley said:

I'm still deciding.

I'm still deciding too. I live on my own and go out occasionally over the road to see a friend in similar circumstances, ie, both with no family nearby. I would irritate me no end to be told I am breaking the curfew. When you live on your own you are already self isolating as it's our default position. 

Whilst I'm whingeing maybe someone could explain why walking in the park is good but sitting in the park is bad, assuming you are not breaking the 2 metre gap between other people. I've seen coppers telling a guy off in my local park for sitting on his own 50 metres from anybody else whilst ignoring the speeding cyclists who break the 10kmh maximum speed on the shared pathway.

1 hour ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

I’m sure you’ll be advised to self isolate too. Basically whoever calls you will explain what to do