Parley

Are you downloading COVIDSafe app ?

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Are you sure you downloaded the right app?  There are at least three coronavirus apps going around.   Both my oh and I have downloaded and set up the app no problem, he's on Android and I'm on iPhone. The right app is Covidsafe.

Yes it was the right one and after trying again we both finally got the security number they were supposed to send -  more than 12 hours later. Reminds me of Election Day farces online when they have no means of dealing with large numbers of people because of inadequate preparation. Happens a lot. Centrelink is another example but I guess eventually they get it right or at least I hope they do.

I haven’t got around to doing it yet. At the moment I’m still not allowed to go anywhere, I don’t know how long my dr’s want me in this little bubble for. 
‘I have no problem downloading apart from I worry about the battery life on my device. At the moment I don’t get a full day and if I have Bluetooth on won’t it drain faster

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

7 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I haven’t got around to doing it yet. At the moment I’m still not allowed to go anywhere, I don’t know how long my dr’s want me in this little bubble for. 
‘I have no problem downloading apart from I worry about the battery life on my device. At the moment I don’t get a full day and if I have Bluetooth on won’t it drain faster

I know what you mean.  My old phone was like that and I had to keep Bluetooth and Wifi both switched off unless I needed them, otherwise the battery would die really fast.  

However if you're not going anywhere, you don't need the app because you're not going to come close to any strangers, so why  not just leave it for the moment.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Hope this isn’t a stupid question? Quite happy to load the app. Do you have to keep blue tooth permanently on, or can you just put it on only when going out? I am self isolating and rarely out, but would like it on when out.

17 minutes ago, ramot said:

Hope this isn’t a stupid question? Quite happy to load the app. Do you have to keep blue tooth permanently on, or can you just put it on only when going out? I am self isolating and rarely out, but would like it on when out.

It needs bluetooth to ping other devices, so only needs to be on when out and about. 

• Thanks 1

IELTS 08/06/13: 9.0. - ACS Assessment: 02/08/13. Result 13/11/13. VIC SS 20/11/13. EOI 20/11/13. VIC SS Resubmitted 20/06/14, Approved 02/07/14. Visa Application (190) 14/07/14. CO assigned, Meds/PCC requested 27/08/14. Granted 24/10/14!! Activated 31/03/15. Arrival 27/08/15.Citizenship Applied 17/04/2019,  Test confirmed 09/07/2019 for 15/12/2019, Online invite 05/06/2020. Ceremony 18/06/2020

I would not be suprised that herd immunity is already taking place, given the significant amount of PROC tourists and dual citizenship residents Oz has. Remember that over 50% are asymptomatic carriers. I only 3 ICU cases in a major centre's hospital that I know of.

And just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, Luc Montagnier has stated it appears HIV may have been spliced to create COV-19.

IELTS : 13/08/16: W8 S8 L9 R9. F2w ID Check/Rcvd: 15/08/16, 23/08/16 HCPC/SoR CoGS sent: 23/08/16. Skills Ax sent/Rcvd/granted: 30/08/16, 12/09/16, 10/10/16. AHPRA sent/AIP : 05/09/16, 28/12/16. EoI/invited: 20/1/17, 01/02/17. 189 submitted: 06/02/17, Caseworker: 23/02/17. Medicals: 31/03/17. Grant: 12/04/17. Child 101 submitted: 09/06/17. Granted: 06/07/17. Landed: 01/09/17.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, DukeNinja said:

I would not be suprised that herd immunity is already taking place, given the significant amount of PROC tourists and dual citizenship residents Oz has.

Considering that no tourists have been able to travel since the beginning of February, and all citizens have had to undergo quarantine if they have returned, how do you figure that out? 

They're doing large numbers of random tests now in Australia and they're not finding infections OR people with antibodies.  If herd immunity was developing, they'd be seeing people with antibodies.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Don’t see what dual citizenship has to do with it at all. As a percentage there would be huge numbers entitled to that unless you were one of the original peoples.

• Like 1

VPN can cause problems 

3 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

I would not be suprised that herd immunity is already taking place, given the significant amount of PROC tourists and dual citizenship residents Oz has. Remember that over 50% are asymptomatic carriers. I only 3 ICU cases in a major centre's hospital that I know of.

And just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, Luc Montagnier has stated it appears HIV may have been spliced to create COV-19.

8 hours ago, ramot said:

Just switch it on when you're out, providing the app lets you do that, it may force it to be on.

9 hours ago, ramot said:

You can go into ‘settings’ on your phone and switch on Bluetooth at any time.

I keep mine on permanently because I have Bluetooth headphones and a Bluetooth speaker at home for music.  Also I am always connected with my car via Bluetooth through an App (it’s a keyless car).

• Like 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

11 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Considering that no tourists have been able to travel since the beginning of February, and all citizens have had to undergo quarantine if they have returned, how do you figure that out? 

They're doing large numbers of random tests now in Australia and they're not finding infections OR people with antibodies.  If herd immunity was developing, they'd be seeing people with antibodies.

"For COVID-19, data to date suggest that 80% of infections are mild or asymptomatic"

Source:  WHO

IELTS : 13/08/16: W8 S8 L9 R9. F2w ID Check/Rcvd: 15/08/16, 23/08/16 HCPC/SoR CoGS sent: 23/08/16. Skills Ax sent/Rcvd/granted: 30/08/16, 12/09/16, 10/10/16. AHPRA sent/AIP : 05/09/16, 28/12/16. EoI/invited: 20/1/17, 01/02/17. 189 submitted: 06/02/17, Caseworker: 23/02/17. Medicals: 31/03/17. Grant: 12/04/17. Child 101 submitted: 09/06/17. Granted: 06/07/17. Landed: 01/09/17.

8 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

"For COVID-19, data to date suggest that 80% of infections are mild or asymptomatic"

That may be the case but given that there have been less than 7000 cases Australia wide (with a lot of testing) then even if this was 20% of the total cases that would only be 35,000 cases Australia wide which given a population of around 23 million makes us a long way from herd immunity. 

• Like 2

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

8 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

Yes, but if you test people they test positive even if they’re asymptomatic. Or they’ll show antibodies if they’ve had it. Australia is doing a lot of testing now and not finding antibodies or positived

I have downloaded it but some funny things are happening with my iphone now. When I try to report the issue on the Covidsafe app it tells me there was a problem sending feedback. Even the FAQ's don't download. Anyone else having problems sending feedback or trying to download the FAQ's?

7 minutes ago, Mike@Bonbeach said:

I have downloaded it but some funny things are happening with my iphone now. When I try to report the issue on the Covidsafe app it tells me there was a problem sending feedback. Even the FAQ's don't download. Anyone else having problems sending feedback or trying to download the FAQ's?

I haven't even tried downloading the FAQ as I don't see the point. It's all here anyway:

https://www.health.gov.au/resources/apps-and-tools/covidsafe-app

25 minutes ago, Mike@Bonbeach said:

No, no problems on my iphone.  Can download the FAQs no issues at all.  I haven't tried to report an issue so don't know if that works or not.

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

2 hours ago, Mike@Bonbeach said:

No problems with my iPhone afaik.  What sorts of problems?

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

From The Australian today.

The operation of the COVIDSafe app on iPhone is a big problem but an overseas report suggests help might be imminent.

There is unresolved concern that on iPhones, users must remember to have the app open and preferably in the foreground on the screen for it to communicate with the handset’s Bluetooth and successfully record and store the encrypted IDs of nearby phones. For many, that will be a big ask.

This usability impacts a big slice of the Australian handset market. A study by Telsyte published in February put Apple’s share of the Australian market at 42.2pc.

READ NEXT

Resolving this problem is hence key to ensuring that COVIDSafe properly records a person’s contacts and that a large slab of the country’s contact data is not missed.

The government’s approach so far has been to send push notifications to users reminding them to keep the app open, but it’s likely that many will either find this a nuisance, forget to do it, or be unaware that they have inadvertently closed the app.

This had been a major issue with Singapore’s TraceTogether app, before the Australian government adapted Singapore’s open source code for its own use.

It was also of concern to software engineers and Apple which in mid March formed a team to work on “Project Bubble” with dozens of employees conscripted to look at contact tracing.

It was formed under senior vice president Craig Federighi and company COO Jeff Williams, according to a detailed write up of the project by CNBC.

The CNBC story says that by month’s end Google had joined forces with Apple to produce changes to both their operating systems which included API’s or application programming Interfaces that would let government developed health applications run more smoothly and use less battery.

Significantly, CNBC reports that the project is due to be launched late this week, not in mid or late May as previously indicated at a briefing.

“The software, which Apple and Google now refer to by the softer-sounding term ‘exposure notification’ instead of “contact tracing,” is due to be released on May 1,” says the CNBC report.

We don’t know if this date is accurate. The Australian has asked Apple to clarify this.

However the report by CNBC shows that the issue of the app not working on iPhones unless open was “a big usability problem”.

“On an iPhone, the app had to be running all the time in the foreground, or it stopped working. That meant that phones needed to remain unlocked -- a nightmare scenario if they got stolen — and burned through battery life quickly,” says the CNBC report.

NED-1568-Contact Tracing App - How will it work? - 0

Having gone with the TraceTogether approach, the Australian government is not explicitly using the Apple and Google solution to contract tracing and it is not clear whether the operating system updates to make the API available to the Australian Government will be pushed to users’ phones in Australia.

The companies have told technology media earlier this month that the API’s could be rolled out on a region by region basis.

Therefore, it is unclear whether the Australian Government will have access to the API’s and if they do, whether a software push on May 1, if it happens as reported, will be available to the COVIDSafe app developers.

Department of Health chief information officer Daniel Keys was asked at a media conference on Monday (April 27) whether the Apple Google push meant that Australian iPhone users wouldn't need the app open in the background.

“It's unclear at this stage, so we're working with Apple and Google on their functionality to ensure that it can be consumed by the app to improve the app's performance,” he told the media.

The CNBC report suggests the first opportunity to fix this may be sooner than later, but there is no clarification on this.

Meanwhile there remains confusion as to whether COVIDSafe also operates properly by running in the background on iPhones and when handsets are locked.

The end solution would be for the app to be “set and forget” after being installed on both iOS and Android.

Other teething problems remain. Some users complain they cannot register their phone numbers in the COVIDSafe app. The usual solution has been to register again when there is less peak demand online late at night or early in the morning.

We’ve ticked past 3️⃣ million registrations of the COVIDSafe App

3m in 3 days is a great result, but there’s work to be done to protect our doctors & nurses, & help us get back to the life we love

Haven’t registered yet? Make it your Wed night mission https://www.health.gov.au/resources/apps-and-tools/covidsafe-app 

View image on Twitter

Some users cannot install the app because their phones are too old. The app requires iPhones to have iOS 10.0 or later, and Android phones need Google Android 6.0 or later. Not all phones can run these operating system versions. Some Australians simply don’t have smartphones.

Meanwhile, Health Minister Greg Hunt has revealed that Australians have downloaded the COVIDSafe app more than three million times in three days. It suggests the take up of the app is off to a great start with the government aiming for a 40 per cent adoption or roughly up to 10 million users for it to be maximally effective.

The app uses the phone’s Bluetooth signal to scan for the app on other nearby phones and records a person’s contacts for the past 21 days in encrypted form on the phone.

Data is stored solely on phones however a user can agree to upload their contacts should they test positive to COVID-19.

The app gives human contract tracers a head start in finding other people at risk of contracting the disease and urging them to be tested, and hence reduces the time period and opportunities for these fresh contacts to infect others, if they too are COVID-19 positive.

The iPhone usability issue is the biggest obstacle to COVIDSafe’s operation with a consensus forming that while the government’s centralised approach to managing app data isn’t ideal, it’s workable security wise.

Reverse engineering of the COVIDSafe app suggests that any concerns about the app’s operation security wise are insufficient to outweigh the good the app can do in helping health workers trace the contacts of people who test positive to COVID-19.

An analysis by QTEAM published Thursday in The Australian says: “With the caveat of working only with a decompiled code base rather than full source code, we could find no significant security flaws, no GPS and location tracking or unexpected server communication within the application and no behaviours significantly outside the stated purpose of this contact tracing application.”

So the problem really is iPhone usability.

chris_griffith.png
TECHNOLOGY REPORTER
Chris is one of Australia's most experienced technology reporters, with an involvement in the computer industry spanning almost 50 years. He learned to program in the late 1960s, studied computer science in the... Read more

I want it all, and I want it now.

No problems with three iPhones here 

On 30/04/2020 at 13:14, Gbye grey sky said:

No problems with my iPhone afaik.  What sorts of problems?

Normally I would get notifications for emails, messenger posts etc and emails being synced with my laptop. Nothing.  I noticed that my VPN wasn't on so I set it to on then my emails all came through., and notifications happened again I was also able to access the FAQ's too. But still not too confident so I de-installed the Covidsafe app and will install it again before I go out in a few days time. Meanwhile my iphone is now working as it always had done.

Thanks for your replies folks.

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike@Bonbeach said:

Normally I would get notifications for emails, messenger posts etc and emails being synced with my laptop. Nothing.  I noticed that my VPN wasn't on so I set it to on then my emails all came through., and notifications happened again I was also able to access the FAQ's too. But still not too confident so I de-installed the Covidsafe app and will install it again before I go out in a few days time. Meanwhile my iphone is now working as it always had done.

Thanks for your replies folks.

Mike

None of those affected for me, but I don’t have a laptop (desktop and iPad only) and never use a VPN anyway.  I will watch out though so thanks for the heads up.