Terrible timing

Cjgohome

So I was on here 12 years ago when we moved out from UK. With ageing parents and siblings having kids and a few deaths we want to go back. My dad has offered to fund our flights If we sort shipping. So now we are raring to go and the whole world is it a standstill. My pops is in end of life care and it's breaking me that we probably won't make it back in time. Any one else frustrated? 

• Sad 1

Yup also frustrated, turned down work contract, put house on market started to clear out. Ready to be back with wife and Dog in July. Spend the summer with olds in UK who have been ill........Hahhahahhaha no chance right now entire thing on hold whilst this plays out, we have planned on a delay of 6 -12 months

• Like 1

Yes we are also frustrated. Decided in January to leave at the end of the year after 10 years in SA. This gave us time to save up, book flights we wanted in advance, sell home, cars and belongings without the stress. We'd also planned to see as much of Australia as possible by the end of the year. Our youngest would also finish primary school here, go on her Canberra trip like her older siblings. Now our trips are cancelled, savings on hold, house prices? 

• Sad 1

On 26/04/2020 at 16:33, Cjgohome said:

So I was on here 12 years ago when we moved out from UK. With ageing parents and siblings having kids and a few deaths we want to go back. My dad has offered to fund our flights If we sort shipping. So now we are raring to go and the whole world is it a standstill. My pops is in end of life care and it's breaking me that we probably won't make it back in time. Any one else frustrated? 

My daughter and I started planning our return to the UK back in January.  We were excited for a planned return in July 2020.  Looks like a few of us are saddened that our plans are currently on hold 😞 So sorry to hear about your Pops...I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you right now 😞 

On 26/04/2020 at 16:33, Cjgohome said:

It is at times like this that the world seems so bloody big!  Sorry to hear about your Pops - there are still flights (Qatar are still flying Aus-UK) and if you are a citizen you can apply for an exemption to leave for personal reasons like an impending end of life but be wary of the self isolation requirements in both countries.  Maybe just you can pop back ahead of your big move back.  We did the move in the opposite direction - decided on the Thursday to leave and went on the Sunday, clearing out my dad's house by the Saturday afternoon when the son came to collect us.  Hopefully your plans will be jump started quickly

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I flew with Qatar to Heathrow 3 weeks ago for my mothers funeral. Return flights were expensive, but it is what it is. I also had to jump though government hoops to get there and to get back to Oz, but I'm a firm believer that you can make anything happen. I'm now in isolation in a hotel in Sydney. I'm moving back to the UK in the next few months as my missus has stage 4 cancer and no government is going to stop us from going back. Keep the faith.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1