Thought it would be easy?!

Evening all, I’ve dipped in and out of forums google searches about emigrating to Aus for the last year. I thought that because I had a trade it would be a doddle if we made the decision to move. Everyday I fear my chances are actually quite slim and it’s more complex than I thought with LOTS of mitigating factors. Before we approach a agent I’m going to get your thoughts on my own circumstance instead of trying to pick out bits of a thousand threads.

personal: age 33, trade, wife age 40

Positives; 5 week holiday Xmas 2019, started sunny Coast, Gold Coast, couple days Sydney Brisbane for Xmas with “cousin brothers” long lost aunties etc etc. WE WANT TO MOVE.
8 years trade experience as carpenter, nvq level 2/3/4

neuteral; have enough money to move, give or take of the roundabout 30-40k figure touted to be comfortable, would prefer Queensland as we have family/friends there, two daughters 14 and 3 who loved it, step son 19 at uni starts 2nd year in September (to be a teacher and do pgce at somepoint) unsure wether he should be on the PR visa or do student visa/working holiday visa worry about him further down line to reduce costs/make his own way etc not restrict him he wants to travel, work abroad in other countries (thoughts/ideas on this welcome)

negatives; in doubt now if we are risking a comfortable ish life to chase something unrealistic, (reading too many negatives and I’m having doubts about the process) I don’t want to be down about it before we’ve even begun!! Some minor misdemeanours in my younger days; charged with GBH (plead and found not guilty in court) possession of cocaine, dishonourable discharge from army (circumstances after Iraq however still hangs over me, never for career progress in civvy street or life but just personally) some of the forms I’ve seen go quite deep into personal details so thought best be honest on here. Not a stop of trouble for 10+years in anyway, Regularly get dbs clearance for coaching junior football teams and working in schools etc so no issues there I guess?

sorry long winded but and help appreciated, particularly how you found the process, timelines, does and donts before we chuck a sizeable lump of money at this 

regards and thanks in advance 

Hiya Pal

Best thing to do is contact an agent and have an assessment done, I paid £50 for one just to make sure that it was achievable.

Have a look on seek.com at carpenter jobs and get a rough idea about what you could be earning and see how that matches up with what you are earning now.

Regarding you police record that comes down to the agent dealing with your case. My wife had a battery charge and a drink driving show up on her record, we where just honest from the start and we where fine. As a rule of thumb its if you've been sentenced to 12 months in jail then it will likely be a no.

No point not being open as they will find out then that will go against you.

We applied (Me,Wife, 2 girls 9 &5) last April and got our visas new years eve.

• Like 1

Actually, I think it's good if you're already acknowledging the possible negatives before you start.  It can be worse to arrive starry-eyed, because then the negatives hit you really hard.

Migrating as a tradie was a doddle twenty years ago. Most Brits have a family member or relative or friend who did it then, and that's why we all have that perception.   Nowadays, Australia is the same as any other developed country.  Unemployment is much the same as the UK, so the government wants to protect local jobs.  So they don't make it easy. 

Your big stumbling block might be your stepson. You should certainly include him in your PR visa if it's possible - but you need to make sure it is possible, as there are some restrictive rules around children over 18.    He doesn't need to move with you - he just needs to arrive in Australia to activate his visa, then he can take off and travel for as long as he likes, provided he settles in Australia within 5 years. 

If you can't include him in your PR visa, he could come later on a WHV but that will only get him a year or two, then he'll have to go home.  There's a myth that you can arrive on a WHV and then find an employer to sponsor you, but that only works if you already have all the qualifications and experience necessary to get a visa.  He could come on a student visa, but if he wants to do a course that could lead to PR, the fees will be eye-watering (he'll have to pay international rates).   

If he wants to try to get PR in his own right, he'll need to finish his degree in the UK (and make sure it's the right kind of degree, because they're not all eligible), then he'll need to get experience.  And by the time he's done all that, it's quite possible teachers will no longer be on the skilled list, and the door will be permanently closed. 

Hi 

I’m an Electrician working in Adelaide so not sure about the jobs situation in Brisbane but your qualifications and experience are enough for you to apply for a skilled visa as long as it’s on the list. 

You just have to be aware you may need to do some kind of extra training or a course so you can get your license over here. That will be an extra cost you might need to factor in but I’m pretty sure a migration agent will fill you in on that. 

When we applied to come out our eldest daughter was still in college and then you could get them on the PR visa with you up to the age of 21 as long as they are in full time education. I would definitely include your son if you can as will make it much easier in the long run. 

From a personal point of view I’m so glad we made the move and we have a much better life and social life but everyone has different circumstances. 

There will be times when it’s difficult and you wonder if you have made the right decision but you just have to stick with it 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Curly said:

Hi 

I’m an Electrician working in Adelaide so not sure about the jobs situation in Brisbane but your qualifications and experience are enough for you to apply for a skilled visa as long as it’s on the list. 

You just have to be aware you may need to do some kind of extra training or a course so you can get your license over here. That will be an extra cost you might need to factor in but I’m pretty sure a migration agent will fill you in on that. 

When we applied to come out our eldest daughter was still in college and then you could get them on the PR visa with you up to the age of 21 as long as they are in full time education. I would definitely include your son if you can as will make it much easier in the long run. 

From a personal point of view I’m so glad we made the move and we have a much better life and social life but everyone has different circumstances. 

There will be times when it’s difficult and you wonder if you have made the right decision but you just have to stick with it 

Hi what is work like in adelaide? Looking to move from UK in October. I'm a painter and decorators. 

Edited by Eagle2020

Yeah it’s still pretty busy here at the moment but I think it may slow down a bit near the end of the year unless the investors come back and keep things moving. 

The Coronavirus is having a big effect on everything but hopefully we can keep moving forward like we have been and get some money flowing back through the economy. 

2 minutes ago, Curly said:

Yeah it’s still pretty busy here at the moment but I think it may slow down a bit near the end of the year unless the investors come back and keep things moving. 

The Coronavirus is having a big effect on everything but hopefully we can keep moving forward like we have been and get some money flowing back through the economy. 

That's good to know, looking to move to Seaford area so not to far from city

Guys really helpful replies, particularly about my boy. I agree with getting him on the PRV regardless of cost and make sure we get out here as a family unit, I actually made a point of saying to both my eldest get out there as a family unit then both can do what they want once we have status (we are aware of my wife’s age and we need a decent turn around on visas/process)

Im fortunate in the uk my business doing well and we are continuing to work through Covid so not financially eating into any savings (yet), application might have fallen off a cliff so now might be the perfect time... just a thought!!

I often keep a check on indeed/rental market and weigh up income/expenditure likely hood on arrival and hopefully my wife would not need to rush into a job either so she can pick and choose or consider a small start up. My cousins husband who we stayed with also runs a successful cabinet making business so there is potential for me to do something on the install side for him (however there was a lot of barbecue talk with a lot of people, however well intentioned haha). 

I would say our possible only draw back then is been deadset on Queensland/Brisbane however there was a lot of work going on and still developing/developments taking place. Corona is a slight concern that we don’t recover as quickly but I think uk/Aus do most things at the same pace!

2 hours ago, Eagle2020 said:

You would most likely go down the 190 state sponsored route so your job would have to be on the states skilled list.

Last time I looked Queensland wasnt after tradies so you would need to check.

If your the main applicant you wont need to worry about your wifes age as it goes off you.

Edited by Lavers

When we started the process the family was a similar age to you (almost identical really) with my wife being 40 but if you are the main applicant that won’t matter too much as being a family and having a trade might give you enough points. You will probably need to do the IELTS test just to bump up the numbers. 

With it being a skilled they may be able to put you on a 189 visa but you will still need to nominate your starting state for your EOI. 

It’s a big decision that has massive ups and downs. You could always do a pros and cons list and get everyone to chip in to make sure it’s right for all of you. 

You'll have to prove +8 years work exp, make sure your wife is qualified and ace your English tests, then have to wait in the queue like the rest of us. That process may take 1-2 years alone, depending how quickly you get organized. If you want a quick way in, I'm sure you can nail a provisional visa, but that will require you to dedicate 5 years or so of your life in a regional area. I'm a carpenter (steel framer) and got in, i'm 32 with +12 years of documented work experience, not self employed (employee of a family company) . Self employment seems much more of a headache to prove. Best of luck!

14 hours ago, Lavers said:

You would most likely go down the 190 state sponsored route so your job would have to be on the states skilled list.

Last time I looked Queensland wasnt after tradies so you would need to check.

If your the main applicant you wont need to worry about your wifes age as it goes off you.

I believe QLD sponsors specific tradesman, and as Lavers said; unfortunately carpenters were not on the list last time I checked. However, solid/fibrous Plasterers and other trades were on the list, just to give you an idea. Each state has their own list, so best advice is to comb through them and consult with and agent.