mechanic trying to get 190 visa

14 minutes ago, Azstafford93 said:

ive recently contacted duc about moving to australia on a 190 visa . they have estimate a cost of £5700 which seems fair. has anyone did the english test? how did you find it? any tips to look out for are welcomed.

Is this an estimate for just you? Because the career assessment, state sponsor fees and visa application alone will come to approx $7000 ( so around £3800)

The English test and medicals will add another £600.

I'd be surprised if the DUC did a full application support service for £1300.

Of course this isn't the end of the costs, flights, accomodation and living funds whilst you look for a job will all add up. Even as a single applicant you will be looking at about £12,000 just to get you to the point where you start job hunting in all honesty.

On your question of the English test I suspect most people on here have taken it (it isn't strictly necessary if you have a UK passport) as you get extra migration points if you can prove your English skill through the test. Be very aware though that it is harder than you think. I didn't get the superior score the first time I tried it (and I've got a master's in English) and I also know English A Level Teachers that didn't get it first time either. There are tow main options IELTS General and PTE Academic.

Google them (they are the main tests for overseas students probing language capability to study in UK and USA) there are loads of case studies and YouTube study guides out there

3 hours ago, Azstafford93 said:

ive recently contacted duc about moving to australia on a 190 visa . they have estimate a cost of £5700 

Ask them to break that fee down for you, so you understand exactly what they've included. 

As Ausvisitor says, you will need the English test to get some extra points, everyone does.   The application process isn't a queue, it's a competition.

You only need to score 65 points to apply for a visa, but if you only have 65 points, you don't stand a snowball's of getting one.  Only the people with the highest points get picked (and you don't get your money back if you don't get picked).   So the more points, the better your chances. 

6 hours ago, Azstafford93 said:

ive recently contacted duc about moving to australia on a 190 visa . they have estimate a cost of £5700 which seems fair. has anyone did the english test? how did you find it? any tips to look out for are welcomed.

I employed the help of the DUC, and yes, they have done their job! However, I haven't had experience with any other migration agency, so my views are slightly bias and for the record I received my invitation to NSW on Feb 5th, 2020. Hopefully that helps, cheers!

There are practice questions for IELTS and PTE online so see which you prefer.

For me personally I preferred the IELTS test. Sat it 1st time and got 8.5/9s other than speaking where I got 7.5 as I didnt speak enough.

Sat it again got 8.5/9s apart from writing where i got 7.5, the 1st test had something easier to write about so it depends what you get on the day.

Decided to leave it at that and go down the 190visa route instead of 189.

Cost for me, wife & 2 kids:

£4150 visas

£800 medicals

£1600 skill assessment 

£320 IELTS x 2

£150 SA state sponsorship fee

Costs have gone up since I did this last year but the exchange rate is a lot better now so probably evens its self out.