Has anyway delayed or postponed their move to in light of the corona pandemic ?

North to South

5 hours ago, AliQ said:

Well, this is stressful news !
We're citizens, returning in five weeks time (could NOT return earlier due to various restrictions here in the UK) if all flights into Australia get banned, then we'll be stuck, homeless, here in the UK.

He was just confirming Qantas’s assessment and being the strong man. I didn’t see any sign that he meant anything other than “we’ll be keeping the travel bans in place”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

He was just confirming Qantas’s assessment and being the strong man. I didn’t see any sign that he meant anything other than “we’ll be keeping the travel bans in place”

I heard on SBS news the other night that over 16,000 people have arrived in Australia over the past months.

• Like 1

I can't find a transcript of his exact words, but here's what the press are reporting:

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Friday that with the spread of the virus accelerating in parts of the world, it was "not unreasonable" to assume international travel will not resume until July, except to New Zealand. 

Note the word "resume".  Not "we are going to make our bans on international travel even more strict'.  

I guess it's possible ScoMo has changed his mind, but here's what he was thinking on June 18th:  https://www.businessinsider.com.au/australian-travel-ban-business-travellers-exemptions-2020-6

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/tourism-industry-braces-for-55-billion-hit-with-overseas-travel-likely-banned-until-july-20200625-p5563k.html

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Thanks Marisawright. 

Over reaction on my part I'm sure. It's just so stressful right now worrying about our flight. Will it actually leave the UK and reach Australia ? who knows, the world could change over night again ! 

Looking forward to quarantine, I will need those two weeks to catch up on sleep !!!

3 minutes ago, AliQ said:

Over reaction on my part I'm sure. It's just so stressful right now worrying about our flight. Will it actually leave the UK and reach Australia ? who knows, the world could change over night again ! 

I think it's Dusty who over-reacted.  I haven't seen anyone anywhere suggesting that ScoMo meant anything other than "the current travel bans are staying in place" - which is, of course, bad news for a lot of people, but it's old news really.  Qantas's prediction of the bans lasting till mid-next year shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone who's been paying attention.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 4

Australia's migration intake is expected to plummet as a direct result of the prolonged border restrictions.

Net overseas migration numbers take into account how many people enter Australia and stay for more than 12 months, compared to how many people leave the country for the same period. According to the government forecast, net migration is predicted to fall by about 85 per cent to just 36,000 people in 2020-21, due to the widespread travel bans brought on by the pandemic.  Mr Morrison said, "It is going to be one of the real impacts of the ongoing crisis," 

Looking at these factors the Aust. Govt has already indicated its concern that Covid 19 is not under control worldwide, and is on the increase. Secondly there is no vaccine on the horizon. The other factors that Aust needs to deal with include the need to maintain unemployment under 8% and to continue the fight against covid-19 within Australia. Both of thse factors seemingly. in my view at least, relate to decisions taken over the last few days relating to extended border placements and immigration cuts. 

17 hours ago, Sunseeker20 said:

We are on the last few days’ countdown now; depart London on Thursday, arrive Melbourne on Friday.

I should feel excited but it’s stressful!  We are 3 citizens plus a 309/100 visa holder.  I think we’ve got our plans sorted but the goalposts keep moving and the rules are confusing.  However no going back now as we will be homeless once we’ve returned the keys to our rental.

fingers crossed x

Lucky you!! 

Did you sell your home and move into a rental?  Kind of wish we had done that, but too late now.  Just waiting to sell then we can look at flights and book shipping container. 

Best of luck for your future. 

8 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

decisions taken over the last few days relating to extended border placements and immigration cuts. 

Can you please provide links to the announcements where there were references to EXTENDED border placements and EXTENDED immigration cuts. 

The 85% drop was announced weeks ago, and in a subsequent press conference, ScoMo clarified that drop would be due entirely to the current border closures - and that when border restrictions are lifted some time in 2021, numbers would go back to normal.

I can find plenty of reports saying "international travel will not resume" till mid-2021, but not one single report saying, "we are going to extend the border restrictions". 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Can you please provide links to the announcements where there were references to EXTENDED border placements and EXTENDED immigration cuts. 

The 85% drop was announced weeks ago, and in a subsequent press conference, ScoMo clarified that drop would be due entirely to the current border closures - and that when border restrictions are lifted some time in 2021, numbers would go back to normal.

I can find plenty of reports saying "international travel will not resume" till mid-2021, but not one single report saying, "we are going to extend the border restrictions". 

You seem stuck in the notion that there was no announcement made by the PM  Do you agree that just 4-5 days ago relating to the subject as i have presented it. This announcement is all over the electronic media .  SMH again today discusses the particular issue.  You see its topical.

If you read my previous post you will find  the answer to your query, namely: 

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Here is the link in my previous post:

14 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Both of thse factors seemingly. in my view at least, relate to decisions taken over the last few days relating to extended border placements and immigration cuts. 

Do you actually ackowledge that these matters hit the head;ines just days ago?  This is a discussion board and I offered my view for discussion. These measures are in place and underway.  What is your view? 

7 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

You seem stuck in the notion that there was no announcement made by the PM  Do you agree that just 4-5 days ago relating to the subject as i have presented it. This announcement is all over the electronic media . 

Do you actually ackowledge that these matters hit the head;ines just days ago?  This is a discussion board and I offered my view for discussion. These measures are in place and underway.  What is your view? 

No, I do not. That is why I am asking you to link to the reports you say are in the media.  All the reports quote Scott Morrison as saying "international travel will not resume" until next year.   

The wording is the same as Josh Frydenberg and others used when the bans were first inroduced, when they said "international travel is not likely to resume until September". At the time, it was clear what they meant (the ban on all visitors and temporary visa holders).    I don't see any evidence to suggest they've changed the definition.  I can't understand why you would imagine otherwise.  Perhaps I have missed something, so I'm inviting you to show me.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

No, I do not. That is why I am asking you to link to the reports you say are in the media.  All the reports quote Scott Morrison as saying "international travel will not resume" until next year.   

The wording is the same as Josh Frydenberg and others used when the bans were first inroduced, when they said "international travel is not likely to resume until September". At the time, it was clear what they meant (the ban on all visitors and temporary visa holders).    I don't see any evidence to suggest they've changed the definition.  I can't understand why you would imagine otherwise.  Perhaps I have missed something, so I'm inviting you to show me.

I think I see the impasse here in our "discussions".

My posts relate to recent discussions which now highlight ( at least from my interpretation) that we are hearing different language from the PMs office over the last few days. Its no longer an issue which predominantly centres around QANTAS and international travellers. Its now about closing borders to  the extent that migration is expected to nosedive by 85% in the 2020 / 2021 financial year. Its got nothing to do with QANTAS anymore, other than the fact that Mid 2021 had been touted by QANTAS as a date for returning to international flights, and the govt believes this is "not unreasonable" but not definite. The governement does not need to implement measures or targets in this respect but recognises that with borders closed immigration will fall through means of attrition rather than by any need for the govt to implement measures aimed at the migrants themselves.

The next change in dialogue from the PMs office in late June was the word "resume" or the lack of any word relating to things resuming in mid 2021. There is now, no set date for Australia to Resume migation to Australia. Why??? As suggested in previous posts ( and this is my opinion as already stated) that the Aust Government is concerned that Covid19 cases worldwide are increasing and there is no vaccine on the horizon. Australia is an island continent and so why does the Aust Government wish to close its borders.  Simply because it can.

In the last week Australia's Health Minister Greg Hunt says Australia's borders will remain closed for a "very significant" amount of time.

Mr Hunt says coronavirus infection rates are accelerating around the world.

"For the time being we are an island sanctuary," he told ABC radio on Tuesday.

The number of global coronavirus infections has exceeded nine million.

Mr Hunt appeared to suggest international borders would be shut until a vaccine was found.

See here:

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/australia-s-borders-will-be-closed-for-a-very-significant-amount-of-time-greg-hunt-says

You will find the 85% drop-off factor in news websites such as SBS, SMH and you will also find the 85% factor being reported in international media sources such as Thestraitstimes and the Huffington Post.

I understand your issues with my posts. I had simply avoided lodging wordy posts as I have been censored before. so I decided to simply offer my opinion My view is simply that we may be able to discuss these matters as they stand. For instance there are certain economists in Australia, who, on the basis of the recent dialogue from the PMs office and that of the Health Minister are lobbying the government to the extent that ( in the economist's view) immigration provides negligible positivity for the Australian economy. Perhaps that assisted the govts decision to allow a nosedive in migant numbers to Australia.

Lastly, the bit that will probably get me censored again. Australia continues to have a very low cases of Covid19. If Australia is to maintain its Covid 19 management, possibly through its isolationist stand,and to control unemployment ( to 8% or lower) then the OECD believes Australian economy will  rebound quicker than any other country.

If you are currently an Australian citizen living in Australia, or perhaps a permanent resident, then its quite likely that  you have won the lottery of life.

Haven't you? 

54 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

My posts relate to recent discussions which now highlight ( at least from my interpretation) that we are hearing different language from the PMs office over the last few days

It is an impasse, because I see no different language from the PM's office over the last few days.   The 85% drop in immigration was mentioned weeks ago. International travel (for visitors and temp visa holders) was stopped weeks ago.     The ONLY difference is that at one time, they were mentioning "till September" or "at least six months" as the duration of the existing travel bans - whereas now he's talking about mid-next year.

I cannot, for the life of me, get why you think there's going to be more stringent regulations of any kind, and since you can't quote me anything, I'm no further forward.  We'll agree to disagree.

And I repeat, in case you hadn't noticed, that all you have to do is check some other threads to see partner visas etc are still being granted, and people are being granted exceptions to travel all the time.  

Edited by Marisawright

16 hours ago, Aussiebird said:

Lucky you!! 

Did you sell your home and move into a rental?  Kind of wish we had done that, but too late now.  Just waiting to sell then we can look at flights and book shipping container. 

Best of luck for your future. 

Yes with hindsight we were so lucky.  We sold to the first person who viewed our house but they were in a hurry and wanted to move in straight away.  It was a pain at the time to have to find a rental for a few months but I’m so glad it happened as I don’t think we’d be able to sell now without slashing the price.
I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you too.  
best wishes x

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

If you are currently an Australian citizen living in Australia, or perhaps a permanent resident, then its quite likely that  you have won the lottery of life.

Haven't you? 

I bet you loved writing essays at school 🤔

Australia’s borders are closed. Only Australian citizens, residents and immediate family members can travel to Australia.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-travellers#:~:text=Only Australian citizens%2C residents and,travel restrictions may also apply.

Unless and unitl that statement changes, at the very least those who are citizens or hold PR can enter Australia subject to the quarantine arrangements.  It was also confirmed previously that you don't have to have activiated your PR to be a PR holder.

The only issue I can see is getting a flights, but given the number of citizen abroad, it shouldn't be an issue if you are flexible.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Australia’s borders are closed. Only Australian citizens, residents and immediate family members can travel to Australia.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-travellers#:~:text=Only Australian citizens%2C residents and,travel restrictions may also apply.

Unless and unitl that statement changes, at the very least those who are citizens or hold PR can enter Australia subject to the quarantine arrangements.  It was also confirmed previously that you don't have to have activiated your PR to be a PR holder.

We know that. That hasn't changed since 29th March.  Dusty Plains posted claiming that ScoMo's announcement, a few days ago, meant that the ban would get even more strict - which nearly caused AliQ to have a panic attack 😮.    I haven't heard anything to suggest that's the case so I've been asking DP to justify that opinion.  

I dont know if you've noticed but on some other threads, new visas have been granted, too, so those people will now be able to travel as well.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

We know that. That hasn't changed since 29th March.  Dusty Plains posted claiming that ScoMo's announcement, a few days ago, meant that the ban would get even more strict - which nearly caused AliQ to have a panic attack 😮.    I haven't heard anything to suggest that's the case so I've been asking DP to justify that opinion.  

I dont know if you've noticed but on some other threads, new visas have been granted, too, so those people will now be able to travel as well.

Yes - my point is politicians say all kinds of things, but unless this changes, most of us are fine.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

which nearly caused AliQ to have a panic attack 😮.    I

Yes I did have an panic attack.

And, I've just checked the facebook page of Singapore Airlines, and if I have read it and understood correctly, flights are opening up very soon FROM the UK that CAN now transit through Singapore Airport, and then fly directly to Brisbane. 

If that is true, it's happy days for us, as long as those borders stay open !!!

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, AliQ said:

And, I've just checked the facebook page of Singapore Airlines, and if I have read it and understood correctly, flights are opening up very soon FROM the UK that CAN now transit through Singapore Airport, and then fly directly to Brisbane. 

I doubt it is legal for them to prevent citizens coming under any circumstances.  You will be fine!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AliQ said:

There is absolutely NO chance a decision has been made to close the borders more strictly.  If there was, it would be all over the media here by now, and there isn't even a single mention of it.   

• Like 3

There are several people following this thread who are migrating or returning to Australia, which is stressful enough under normal circumstances. It's not very helpful when people start speculating or trying to second-guess what the government is going to do next, with regards to borders and travel restrictions. Most of us have been trying to get here quickly as we can because there are so few flights at the moment, and the situation remains tenuous.

Thank God for Qatar Airways who've kept going through all of this - they deserve a medal! - and they'll be getting my business in future. My wife arrived in Sydney yesterday evening, which was a huge relief as we'd shipped everything the day before she left the UK. Despite having all the paperwork to hand, they still made her wait 40 minutes at Manchester Airport while they contacted immigration to check her PR, so if you have PR rather than Australian citizenship then I suggest you get to the airport early.

@Lavers I think you get into Melbourne today or tomorrow, don't you? I've just read that SA isn't going to reopen their border on the 20th July, so I think you're going to need an entry permit to get to Adelaide, if that's still you intention? @AliQ have you been in touch with SIA? I used their live chat on Facebook, and it only took a few minutes to get through. They'll probably be able to tell you if your flights have been rescheduled or cancelled before the booking agent.

Edited by Wanderer Returns
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

There are several people following this thread who are migrating or returning to Australia, which is stressful enough under normal circumstances. It's not very helpful when people start speculating or trying to second-guess what the government is going to do next, with regards to borders and travel restrictions. Most of us have been trying to get here quickly as we can because there are so few flights at the moment, and the situation remains tenuous.

Thank God for Qatar Airways who've kept going through all of this - they deserve a medal! - and they'll be getting my business in future. My wife arrived in Sydney yesterday evening, which was a huge relief as we'd shipped everything the day before she left the UK. Despite having all the paperwork to hand, they still made her wait 40 minutes at Manchester Airport while they contacted immigration to check her PR, so if you have PR rather than Australian citizenship then I suggest you get to the airport early.

@Lavers I think you get into Melbourne today or tomorrow, don't you? I've just read that SA isn't going to reopen their border on the 20th July, so I think you're going to need an entry permit to get to Adelaide, if that's still you intention? @AliQ have you been in touch with SIA? I used their live chat on Facebook, and it only took a few minutes to get through. They'll probably be able to tell you if your flights have been rescheduled or cancelled before the booking agent.

Hi Wanderer Returns,  good to hear your wife arrived safe and sound, and good luck for your future life in Australia.

We actually booked our tickets through an agent, way back in March, as at that time the SA website was constantly crashing. Had a few date changes since then !

The agent has been excellent so far, she is monitoring and told us to hold tight as "the situation is changing daily" which is true as shown by the recent developments in new flights and transiting. And, our flight is now showing on the website as open for bookings. 

Things are looking a bit more positive - but I'm still very very wary.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, AliQ said:

Things are looking a bit more positive - but I'm still very very wary.

Yes, indeed - just keep your eye on the situation. Queensland have just announced they're reopening their borders on the July 10 to every state except Victoria, so if your flights do get cancelled then don't rebook flights via Melbourne!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Great news that your wife is safely here

• Thanks 1