Has anyway delayed or postponed their move to in light of the corona pandemic ?

North to South

34 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

You can bring plenty of food in, certainly sealed snacks, chocolate, sweets, crisps etc. Just declare it n arrival - which often makes it quicker to get through Customs too!

I do that. I declare it on my landing form and I’m usually taken to the front and asked what I have. They never even want to see it, just trust what I say. I do walk away smiling knowing they’re probably thinking typical Pom, she’s turned up with packets of fruit salads and blackjacks and creme eggs for her kids that are in their late 20’s/30’s now and even their dogs are getting a selection of treats from Pets at Home. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Toots said:

All the Cadbury's chocolate is different here.  I still haven't got used to it.  Not as good IMHO.

It’s not that with the creme eggs. They actually changed the chocolate on them so it’s not the usual Cadbury recipe any more. Tastes totally different. There was an outcry when they did it

Edited by Marisawright

I believe they don’t put as much cream in the chocolate there so it tastes nice enough but just not as nice.  I’ve eaten several different chocolates in Oz from Cadbury bars to Maltesers (just love a pouch of maltesers watching a film at the cinema) and all ok but definitely not as nice. Just seems a bit bland which is probably because of less cream. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Toots said:

All the Cadbury's chocolate is different here.  I still haven't got used to it.  Not as good IMHO.

When Cadbury's originally set up their factories here they adapted their chocolate recipes to make them more suitable for a hotter climate i.e.  less "meltability"....especially when there was no refrigerated transport.    That may still be one of the reasons for the difference.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skani said:

When Cadbury's originally set up their factories here they adapted their chocolate recipes to make them more suitable for a hotter climate i.e.  less "meltability"....especially when there was no refrigerated transport.    That may still be one of the reasons for the difference.

Yes, that's been the case ever since I arrived in Australia over 30 years ago.   The change to the Creme Egg was far more recent.  There was a huge outcry about it on Facebook, I recall. I've never eaten one since, they're a travesty.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/12/shellshock-cadbury-comes-clean-on-creme-egg-chocolate-change

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kimboslice said:

Quick question about the quarantine when you arrive in Brisbane, do the rooms have a fridge etc or is it just a bed with shower room. 

Most hotel rooms in Australia have a small fridge.  But I guess it depends on the standard of hotels they are using for quarantine in Brisbane - and maybe the luck of the draw.  I would be surprised if they put you in accommodation for 2 weeks without a fridge.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

.   The change to the Creme Egg was far more recent. 

I can't comment on the Creme Egg:  I don't think I've ever had one.  But, having read the link, I can now see it's those Yanks stuffing around with sacred objects which they don't understand.😠

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

I believe they don’t put as much cream in the chocolate there so it tastes nice enough but just not as nice.  I’ve eaten several different chocolates in Oz from Cadbury bars to Maltesers (just love a pouch of maltesers watching a film at the cinema) and all ok but definitely not as nice. Just seems a bit bland which is probably because of less cream. 

The percentage of cocoa butter and vegetable fat is different, supposedly to help prevent it melting in hot weather.  There's no cream in Cadbury's, just milk.  I've heard it said that the flavour of Australian milk is noticeably different and that affects the taste of the chocolate, too, but I'm not a milk drinker so I can't say. 

After 30 years in Australia, I'm so used to Australian chocolate, I don't even like the genuine British version any more.  But I usually buy Belgian chocolate anyway.   

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The percentage of cocoa butter and vegetable fat is different, supposedly to help prevent it melting in hot weather.  There's no cream in Cadbury's, just milk.  I've heard it said that the flavour of Australian milk is noticeably different and that affects the taste of the chocolate, too, but I'm not a milk drinker so I can't say. 

After 30 years in Australia, I'm so used to Australian chocolate, I don't even like the genuine British version any more.  But I usually buy Belgian chocolate anyway.   

That makes sense. I knew it was to do with helping it not melt. Not sure why I thought it was cream but less cocoa butter sounds more like it and that I guess would effect the rich, creamy taste. I’m sure you get used to it and as you say, in turn may end up liking it more.  I’ve heard people say about the different milk taste but I’ve never noticed.  I don’t tend to drink milk on its own much although I like it but I have it in tea and coffee and on cereal. There’s a museli type cereal there that I love and I do have it for breakfast sometimes when I’m there. I never notice the milk tastes different but many say it’s really different. 

8 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

That makes sense. I knew it was to do with helping it not melt. Not sure why I thought it was cream but less cocoa butter sounds more like it and that I guess would effect the rich, creamy taste. 

Actually from what I've read, they put less vegetable fat in it, but that doesn't sound quite right to me.

15 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Definitely, and not the same chocolate either

I agree. The well-known chocolate bars are more sugary and less chocolately here. I've often wondered if they're made this way so they don't melt so quickly in the heat. 🤔

The Aldi chocolate selection seems to be better - they have some nice dark chocolate bars in there.

3 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I agree. The well-known chocolate bars are more sugary and less chocolately here. I've often wondered if they're made this way so they don't melt so quickly in the heat. 🤔

The Aldi chocolate selection seems to be better - they have some nice dark chocolate bars in there.

Like I said, the difference is in the percentage of fats, because that's what melts.  Strangely enough, when I tried to research this, all the references said that it was the vegetable fats that were reduced, not the cocoa.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Skani said:

I can't comment on the Creme Egg:  I don't think I've ever had one.  But, having read the link, I can now see it's those Yanks stuffing around with sacred objects which they don't understand.😠

I  haven't had a Creme Egg for years - a bit too sweet and sickly.  As for American chocolate    ....................  anyone who thinks it's not as good here should try their stuff.  Ugh!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Like I said, the difference is in the percentage of fats, because that's what melts.  Strangely enough, when I tried to research this, all the references said that it was the vegetable fats that were reduced, not the cocoa.   

@Marisawright I hadn't read all the other comments, just your one straight after mine. I need to get with the program! 🙂 

12 hours ago, kimboslice said:

Quick question about the quarantine when you arrive in Brisbane, do the rooms have a fridge etc or is it just a bed with shower room. 

All the accommodation is in 4* and 5* hotels by all accounts, so they'll have fridges - you'll have to unload the mini-bar first though.

If you're flight gets in late then bring cup-a-noodles because deliveries usually stop at 9pm, so you'll not have anything to eat until breakfast - except maybe a creme egg! 🙂 

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

All the accommodation is in 4* and 5* hotels by all accounts, so they'll have fridges - you'll have to unload the mini-bar first though.

If you're flight gets in late then bring cup-a-noodles because deliveries usually stop at 9pm, so you'll not have anything to eat until breakfast - except maybe a creme egg! 🙂 

From articles i have read you are able to order in food and grocery's, if its contactless delivery and lots of eaterys and food stores are offering this service now so finding one with something you fancy shouldnt be a problem, no matter the time of day, albeith you may struggle if its the early hours when you arrive. 

Cal x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Just to go off topic, I am just sorting my paperwork out and just checking that I can get rid of everything I had to get my visa and skill assessment?

I would never get rid of anything - ever - especially before you've become a citizen. I've jumped through all the hoops to Aussie citizenship. Taken care of my wife's PR, and also her 'journey' to become a UK citizen. You always need refer to some random document at some point which you'd never have thought would see the light of day again!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Just to go off topic, I am just sorting my paperwork out and just checking that I can get rid of everything I had to get my visa and skill assessment?

Put it in a file or onto a USB and bring it with you. You need all sorts of paperwork for rentals, Driving licences, Medicate, Centrelink etc so your better keeping it all for a while.

Cal x

• Like 2