Has anyway delayed or postponed their move to in light of the corona pandemic ?

North to South

5 minutes ago, Sunseeker20 said:

That’s not the plan but I would do this if I have to.  We need somewhere to live and it’s got to be in the catchment areas of the schools we want - actually a very small geographical area.  I do have the offer from a work colleague of them doing a viewing on our behalf if needed.

Our plans are all so very far from ideal.  I’m not an idiot and I can see the risks.  However we are making compromises to achieve our end goal.

Im always listening for helpful advice though!

I'm sorry you took my reply the wrong way, I did not indicate in any way that you are an idiot. Just passing on my experience from two moves across the world, that's all.

6 minutes ago, AliQ said:

I'm sorry you took my reply the wrong way, I did not indicate in any way that you are an idiot. Just passing on my experience from two moves across the world, that's all.

Oh no I’m sorry.  I don’t think for a minute that you an insinuating I am an idiot!  I’m all ears to as much advice as possible it’s just that if I don’t follow it it’s because I’ve made a careful and reasoned decision....not because I am foolishly ignoring it.

please keep your input coming 👍🏻

Have you been able to get any further with your plans yet?

9 hours ago, Sunseeker20 said:

Yes we have got to - no other way.  However it will only be temporary for around 2 months - once our stuff arrives we will need somewhere unfurnished.  I don’t see this as a great different to booking a holiday rental.  I know the area we are moving to.

If you don’t mind me asking what went wrong for you?

If it’s only temporary then that’s fine, that’s what most people do. 

The reason we say not to take on a long term rental is that real estate agents shamelessly doctor the photos. When you arrive to collect the keys you discover it’s a dump, but you’ve already signed a contract. 

You run the same risk with holiday places too, of course, but at least you can look at reviews.

• Like 1

On 15/04/2020 at 17:49, North to South said:

Hi,

I'm just trying to get a sense of whether fellow PIOers who were planning to make the move this year are still hoping to, or whether you've postponed the move until next year.  We were due to move to Adelaide in mid July, but not sure how realistic, if at all this is now, but we don't want to delay too long as it will impact our daughters schooling.

If you were looking at going, it would be good to hear how other people are changing / shifting their plans in light of what we're all facing.

Looking forward to some interesting comments.

Flights and travel insurance now booked. We fly first week of August. Looking forward to returning home 😊

• Like 3
  • Congratulations 4

1 hour ago, Sunseeker20 said:

I hope you don’t mind me asking but who did you get travel insurance with?  We can’t find any. 

Hi, Insureandgo. I arranged this over the phone instead of online as I wanted to ask them a few questions etc.

They were very helpful.

On 02/06/2020 at 19:24, AliQ said:

Flights and travel insurance now booked. We fly first week of August. Looking forward to returning home 😊

Hi AliQ

Do you mind saying who you are flying with?  We plan to go back to Brisbane first week Aug, we have flights that we know will be cancelled but want to book whatever’s available.  Thank you for any advice

7 minutes ago, Brizzie said:

Hi AliQ

Do you mind saying who you are flying with?  We plan to go back to Brisbane first week Aug, we have flights that we know will be cancelled but want to book whatever’s available.  Thank you for any advice

Hi, we booked with Singapore Airlines, from Manchester, and we fly first week in August.

Good luck and safe travels 😊

• Like 1

Thank you.  I didn’t realise sq were flying into Bne atm. I will go and take a look.  We had flights via hk which are still booked but will be (likely) cancelled by airline.  Transit in hk at present is only if it’s the same airline all the way through and ours aren’t.  But it all changes so fast!  Thanks again. You too safe travels!

Hoping this might be useful for others. This tweeted from Changi airport Singapore earlier regarding transit:

“For now, transit flights are only for outbound journeys from selected cities in Australia and New Zealand via SIA group (SQ, MI and TR).”

From this and info on SQ website, it appears that flights into Australian cities can not yet be via transit at Singapore.  I hope this will change soon. 

13 minutes ago, Brizzie said:

Hoping this might be useful for others. This tweeted from Changi airport Singapore earlier regarding transit:

“For now, transit flights are only for outbound journeys from selected cities in Australia and New Zealand via SIA group (SQ, MI and TR).”

From this and info on SQ website, it appears that flights into Australian cities can not yet be via transit at Singapore.  I hope this will change soon. 

I saw that this morning, now very worried ! Our flights are booked & paid for, but that flight has now disappeared from the website. Awaiting our travel agent to get back to me with some news. 

6 minutes ago, AliQ said:

I saw that this morning, now very worried ! Our flights are booked & paid for, but that flight has now disappeared from the website. Awaiting our travel agent to get back to me with some news. 

Hi Ali, this is the problem.  The airlines allow you to make a booking and then it’s all off.  We booked BA before lockdown, through an agent who recently told us if it’s cancelled we get vouchers, which will be no good to us.  This week they agreed to refund (in writing thankfully) but they could not say how much, if any, notice the airline will give if they cancel.  I hope you have a good agent.   I’ve been watching Aus govt’s info and registered for alerts from their smarttraveller hub. They have been giving info on repatriation flights, but said to leave ASAP.  Early August is the earliest we can do.

Hoping for some good luck!

4 minutes ago, Brizzie said:

Hi Ali, this is the problem.  The airlines allow you to make a booking and then it’s all off.  We booked BA before lockdown, through an agent who recently told us if it’s cancelled we get vouchers, which will be no good to us.  This week they agreed to refund (in writing thankfully) but they could not say how much, if any, notice the airline will give if they cancel.  I hope you have a good agent.   I’ve been watching Aus govt’s info and registered for alerts from their smarttraveller hub. They have been giving info on repatriation flights, but said to leave ASAP.  Early August is the earliest we can do.

Hoping for some good luck!

Thanks Brizzie. Yes it's a difficult time and we just have to go with the flow really. Those last minute cancellations though are a huge worry to us, as by that time we would have vacated our rental, goods in the hands of the shippers, and we would have sold our car. We'll be homeless if we only get a couple of days notice !

Oh well, nothing we can do about it now. Good luck for your future travels, we just want to get back home ☀️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AliQ said:

Thanks Brizzie. Yes it's a difficult time and we just have to go with the flow really. Those last minute cancellations though are a huge worry to us, as by that time we would have vacated our rental, goods in the hands of the shippers, and we would have sold our car. We'll be homeless if we only get a couple of days notice !

Oh well, nothing we can do about it now. Good luck for your future travels, we just want to get back home ☀️

Thanks. Sounds like we are in an almost identical situation. We think we’ll go ahead with pack up and move out and just find temporary accommodation until we can get a flight.  Then we’re free to grab it and go!  It will work out somehow 👍

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AliQ said:

You may have to book with Qatar then bank your flights with Singapore for a holiday next year 👍

6 minutes ago, Lavers said:

You may have to book with Qatar then bank your flights with Singapore for a holiday next year 👍

Hi Lavers, nice thought, but that's a big fat NO from me ! We just want to get back to Aus, settle down and get back into our little routine of daily life.

Good luck with your travels though, no doubt you will be exploring everywhere once you arrive 😊 you and your family will love it in Aus.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brizzie said:

From Australian Consulate London

https://uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/CAOTA.html
Current airlines apparently operating repatriation flights to Australia :

ANA
Emirates Airline
Etihad Airways
Qatar Airways

I am unclear on transit regulations in Japan (ANA) will have another look later.

Morning Brizzie, thank you for posting this. As we have already booked & paid for flights with Singapore Airlines, we'll have to wait for those to be officially cancelled so we can get our money back to re book with another airline.

Having said that, a lot can happen between now and August ! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Brizzie said:

From Australian Consulate London

https://uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/CAOTA.html
Current airlines apparently operating repatriation flights to Australia :

ANA
Emirates Airline
Etihad Airways
Qatar Airways

I am unclear on transit regulations in Japan (ANA) will have another look later.

Hi Brizzie, I've just re read the link you provided. It indicates that Singapore may review it's transit hub policy, so I'm going to hold onto that little bit of hope so we can still fly Singapore Airlines 👍

As soon as I land in Aus I'm off to the beach for a paddle !!!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AliQ said:

Hi Brizzie, I've just re read the link you provided. It indicates that Singapore may review it's transit hub policy, so I'm going to hold onto that little bit of hope so we can still fly Singapore Airlines 👍

As soon as I land in Aus I'm off to the beach for a paddle !!!!

Hi @AliQ, I mentioned in the other post that my wife was also booked on Singapore Airlines fro Manchester to Brisbane, but she flies at the start of July. I also noticed that the her flight could no longer be booked online, but when I spoke to my travel agent they said that the flight was still scheduled. Maybe they have stopped further bookings to avoid a lot of cancellations if UK passengers can't transit through Changi? I'm regretting not paying the extra money and booking her on Qatar to be honest, but Singapore is a good airline and they fly direct into Brissie.  I'm sure we'll be able to get a credit if she can't fly. Your flights are in August which is still a way off, so fingers crossed hey?! 🙂 

20 hours ago, AliQ said:

@AliQ quick update on my earlier post. I've just had a live chat with Singapore Airlines. The bad news is that my wife's flight (2 July) is no longer scheduled, but there's a chance that it could be reinstated if they change the transiting rules. There's only a couple of weeks though, so I don't think it's likely. Your flights aren't for another 6 weeks yet so you might be okay - they could be allow transmitting from the UK by then. The good news is that in the event that flights aren't reinstated, Singapore Airlines will issue a full refund via our booking agent - not just a credit note. I'm currently looking at flights with Qatar!

Here's a link to Singapore Airlines news alerts...

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg/media-centre/newsalert-listing/

Edited by Wanderer Returns

1 hour ago, Wanderer Returns said:

@AliQ quick update on my earlier post. I've just had a live chat with Singapore Airlines. The bad news is that my wife's flight (2 July) is no longer scheduled, but there's a chance that it could be reinstated if they change the transiting rules. There's only a couple of weeks though, so I don't think it's likely. Your flights aren't for another 6 weeks yet so you might be okay - they could be allow transmitting from the UK by then. The good news is that in the event that flights aren't reinstated, Singapore Airlines will issue a full refund via our booking agent - not just a credit note. I'm currently looking at flights with Qatar!

Here's a link to Singapore Airlines news alerts...

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg/media-centre/newsalert-listing/

Thank you for posting your update. A lot can happen in two weeks and your wife's flight may be re instated, fingers crossed.

I think Singapore will be trying everything possible to open their transit hub as soon as they can, I certainly hope so as I really want to fly Singapore Airlines.

• Like 1

On 15/06/2020 at 07:32, Lavers said:

Flights from Manchester - Doha are also flying 50mins quicker at the moment.

It's because the pilots are desperate to get as far away from the UK to escape the virus as quickly as they possibly can 😋 so they are "driving" with their foot a little bit heavier

• Haha 4