Has anyway delayed or postponed their move to in light of the corona pandemic ?

North to South

22 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

MIght be worth checking the airline will let you fly with your Visa.  Last thing you want is to be denied boarding.

Cheers Jon

My last question of the day is...…..So our flight would land in Melbourne then we do 2 week quarantine, would we then have to do another 2 weeks in Adelaide?

Sorry also if I book a flight for start of June at £3000 would the airline cancel that and charge me the £4300 which it currently is? 

Edited by Lavers

15 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Cheers Jon

My last question of the day is...…..So our flight would land in Melbourne then we do 2 week quarantine, would we then have to do another 2 weeks in Adelaide?

Sorry also if I book a flight for start of June at £3000 would the airline cancel that and charge me the £4300 which it currently is? 

Hi Lavers, at the moment there are hardly any domestic flights interstate,  so getting from Mel to Ade may be impossible by air, but obviously that could change at any time.

Might be best to wait till flights start going to Adelaide then if that is where you are heading.

We're watching the flights going to Brisbane. At this stage, they are due to start July 1st, but again, that could change.

8 minutes ago, AliQ said:

Hi Lavers, at the moment there are hardly any domestic flights interstate,  so getting from Mel to Ade may be impossible by air, but obviously that could change at any time.

Might be best to wait till flights start going to Adelaide then if that is where you are heading.

We're watching the flights going to Brisbane. At this stage, they are due to start July 1st, but again, that could change.

Its showing flights direct to Adelaide 3rd June on the Qatar website for £3000 so not to bad, is this just standard info.

Flights from Manchester to Adelaide tonight via Melbourne are £4300 so I assume that we would do quarantine in Melbourne, then would we have to make our own way to Adelaide then? 

1 hour ago, Lavers said:

Its showing flights direct to Adelaide 3rd June on the Qatar website for £3000 so not to bad, is this just standard info.

Flights from Manchester to Adelaide tonight via Melbourne are £4300 so I assume that we would do quarantine in Melbourne, then would we have to make our own way to Adelaide then? 

I'd say yes, quarantine in the first Australian port would be my guess. As Ali says, there are very few, if any, internal flights, because the borders between states are closed.   Several people who are coming out of quarantine now, are struggling to get to their home state.  

Your solution might be easier than some: buy a car in Melbourne, since you'll need to buy one anyway,  and drive to Adelaide.   It's a full day's drive. I would suggest getting in touch with the South Australian government to check that you'll be allowed in - but I think the SA border closure is less strict than some of the others. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lavers said:

It's just so unsettled at the moment, if you booked that direct flight to Adelaide, you would need to check that you can change the date with no penalty, or get a refund if it get's cancelled.

If you go to Melbourne, do the quarantine there, it's possible that interstate flights maybe going by then, but who knows. You may have to hire a car and drive.

It's very problematic right now as no one knows what will change in the next few weeks. I do think you are best waiting for a direct flight to  Adelaide is that is your final destination.

• Like 1

Yes you will have a mandatory 14 day quarantine in Victoria on arrival from overseas. The simplest solution would then be to buy/hire a car and travel to South Australia.

By chance I was reading the SA guidelines last night (very exciting life I have). As far as I understand it, interstate travellers are required to self isolate for 14 days rather than spend time in enforced quarantine. You have to show documentation that you have a suitable place to do this and will take the most direct route there. Police apparently take deatils and do spot checks later. 

So if you were able to book a nice Airbnb suitable for the purpose (spend a bit more to get more space, a garden etc) then you could provide that documentation on entry to South Australia.

I wouldn't count on flights interstate for a few months (although if they do become available you could cancel the car hire and book a flight instead. Avis etc take no up front fees for car hire so you wouldn't be out of pocket).

Edited to add - I'd be inclined to email the relevant authorities each step of the way to "confirm" you are ok to enter based on the above. That would then give you written documentation to present en route/at border checks if required.

Edited by MacGyver
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Yes you will have a mandatory 14 day quarantine in Victoria on arrival from overseas. The simplest solution would then be to buy/hire a car and travel to South Australia.

By chance I was reading the SA guidelines last night (very exciting life I have). As far as I understand it, interstate travellers are required to self isolate for 14 days rather than spend time in enforced quarantine. You have to show documentation that you have a suitable place to do this and will take the most direct route there. Police apparently take deatils and do spot checks later. 

So if you were able to book a nice Airbnb suitable for the purpose (spend a bit more to get more space, a garden etc) then you could provide that documentation on entry to South Australia.

I wouldn't count on flights interstate for a few months (although if they do become available you could cancel the car hire and book a flight instead. Avis etc take no up front fees for car hire so you wouldn't be out of pocket).

Edited to add - I'd be inclined to email the relevant authorities each step of the way to "confirm" you are ok to enter based on the above. That would then give you written documentation to present en route/at border checks if required.

Thanks for the info.

I am going to contact home affairs today and make sure that we are good to travel.

I checked the flights again last night and if we fly Manchester - Melbourne its £3100 which is a lot better than the £4400 for Manchester - Adelaide.

I like the idea of driving between states and it gives us chance to take in some of the scenery.

I will definitely bear the 14 day isolation in mind and look for somewhere more spacious for the kids.

43 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Thanks for the info.

I am going to contact home affairs today and make sure that we are good to travel.

I checked the flights again last night and if we fly Manchester - Melbourne its £3100 which is a lot better than the £4400 for Manchester - Adelaide.

I like the idea of driving between states and it gives us chance to take in some of the scenery.

I will definitely bear the 14 day isolation in mind and look for somewhere more spacious for the kids.

I can't speak for SA, but in WA grocery deliveries (Coles and Woolworths) seem to be mostly back to normal now. A lot of businesses have also adapted to current conditions with fresh veg, fruit and meat deliveries, even some places delivering beer/wine etc.

If you're reasonably central you'll also be able to make use of uber eats, Deliveroo etc for weekend treats. They're doing no contact delivery option where they leave it on your doorstep, knock the door and step back a few metres. That would allow takeaway treats without breaking isolation.

Unrelated, I don't know if you have banking set up for arrival. A good temporary option is to open a transferwise account while in the UK and order a card. It then allows you to open borderless accounts with local bank details for whichever country you choose, all using the same card. It would enable you to use that card as your local bank card until self isolation is completed and you are able to collect bank cards from your bank. Or alternatively you could arrange to collect from Melbourne after quarantine I suppose.

41 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I can't speak for SA, but in WA grocery deliveries (Coles and Woolworths) seem to be mostly back to normal now. A lot of businesses have also adapted to current conditions with fresh veg, fruit and meat deliveries, even some places delivering beer/wine etc.

If you're reasonably central you'll also be able to make use of uber eats, Deliveroo etc for weekend treats. They're doing no contact delivery option where they leave it on your doorstep, knock the door and step back a few metres. That would allow takeaway treats without breaking isolation.

Unrelated, I don't know if you have banking set up for arrival. A good temporary option is to open a transferwise account while in the UK and order a card. It then allows you to open borderless accounts with local bank details for whichever country you choose, all using the same card. It would enable you to use that card as your local bank card until self isolation is completed and you are able to collect bank cards from your bank. Or alternatively you could arrange to collect from Melbourne after quarantine I suppose.

Doesn't sound too bad then, it just sounds similar to the UK then and I suppose that's why covid has hit us hard seeing as they didn't shut as much as they should have done.

I managed to sort my bank out last month and moved some money whilst it was 2 - 1 😀

• Congratulations 1

So we have taken the plunge and booked flights on 1st July, also our removals booked the day before.  
Ive still got my car to sell but worse case scenario I can leave it with a relative to sell for me at a later date.

We have only booked travel as far as Melbourne as we know we have to quarantine there for 14d.  Not yet sorted onward travel to Tas as I can’t get my head around the red tape.  We may have to re quarantine but the rules say if you are travelling with kids you can self isolate instead.  To add to confusion I think I may qualify as an essential worker thanks to my job....but it’s all a bit vague and even if I am it doesn’t say what rules then apply to the family.

Life in UK is pretty much wound up now and I have a new job waiting for me to start 1st August so we figured we would take the plunge.  

29 minutes ago, Sunseeker20 said:

So we have taken the plunge and booked flights on 1st July, also our removals booked the day before.  
Ive still got my car to sell but worse case scenario I can leave it with a relative to sell for me at a later date.

We have only booked travel as far as Melbourne as we know we have to quarantine there for 14d.  Not yet sorted onward travel to Tas as I can’t get my head around the red tape.  We may have to re quarantine but the rules say if you are travelling with kids you can self isolate instead.  To add to confusion I think I may qualify as an essential worker thanks to my job....but it’s all a bit vague and even if I am it doesn’t say what rules then apply to the family.

Life in UK is pretty much wound up now and I have a new job waiting for me to start 1st August so we figured we would take the plunge.  

Niceone not long too wait, is it Qatar you have booked with.

Should be a similar time to us.

On 08/05/2020 at 19:40, Sunseeker20 said:

You have mentioned you booked removals could i ask which company with? We’re flying out from Manchester to melb on may 27 But still looking for a company to ship our furniture

On 10/05/2020 at 16:14, Kayse said:

You have mentioned you booked removals could i ask which company with? We’re flying out from Manchester to melb on may 27 But still looking for a company to ship our furniture

We are using GMS.  
I’ve got to ring them later to see if I can change the date by a day.  Our flights (Qatar) have been cancelled 😞 but we’ve been rebooked on July 2nd.

If you are going to Tasmania you could buy a car in Melbourne and go over on the ferry rather than fly.Guess that is what you had in mind?  I think the Spirit is still running.

On 08/05/2020 at 19:40, Sunseeker20 said:

On 09/05/2020 at 04:40, Sunseeker20 said:

We have only booked travel as far as Melbourne as we know we have to quarantine there for 14d.  Not yet sorted onward travel to Tas as I can’t get my head around the red tape.

If the ferry is still running, you have the perfect solution:  buy a car in Melbourne and then drive it on to the ferry.  I believe a lot of Tasmanians come to Melbourne to buy cars because there's a better choice and more competitive prices ((I hate to say it, but my nephew makes a nice profit by sourcing cars on the mainland, driving them over to Tassie and selling them at inflated prices there).

Of course, you'd have to factor in a few days in Melbourne to get the car before you get on the ferry.   To make life easier, it might be worth considering a service like this:

https://www.privatefleet.com.au/

One of my friends used them and was very happy with the result.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, starlight7 said:

If you are going to Tasmania you could buy a car in Melbourne and go over on the ferry rather than fly.Guess that is what you had in mind?  I think the Spirit is still running.

Yes the ferry is still running but transporting goods only for the time being.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/05/2020 at 00:42, Toots said:

Yes the ferry is still running but transporting goods only for the time being.

Helpful to know thanks.  We want to fly but had the ferry in mind as a back up plan.  Thought we’d buy a car once we arrived in Tassie but eventually we will need a second one so I’ll keep your advice in mind. 👍🏻

1 hour ago, Sunseeker20 said:

Helpful to know thanks.  We want to fly but had the ferry in mind as a back up plan.  Thought we’d buy a car once we arrived in Tassie but eventually we will need a second one so I’ll keep your advice in mind. 👍🏻

Hopefully the Covid-19 restrictions will have eased a bit by the time you arrive.  At the moment you would have to do 2 weeks quarantine in an hotel bedroom when you arrive on the mainland and there are severe restrictions who can come to Tasmania and the ones who do arrive have to quarantine again.

11 hours ago, Toots said:

Hopefully the Covid-19 restrictions will have eased a bit by the time you arrive.  At the moment you would have to do 2 weeks quarantine in an hotel bedroom when you arrive on the mainland and there are severe restrictions who can come to Tasmania and the ones who do arrive have to quarantine again.

Yes we’ve already twigged the double dose of quarantine 😓. However the tasgov website says they will permit self-isolation for 2 weeks instead of quarantine for those travelling with kids.  (Obviously this is all after we’ve already done 2w quarantine in Melbourne).  My new employer is also going to help me apply for an exemption as an essential worker - but that would only apply to me not the family as well.  They’ve also agreed that once I’ve sorted a rental they will get the keys for me and fill the kitchen with supplies before we arrive.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sunseeker20 said:

They’ve also agreed that once I’ve sorted a rental they will get the keys for me and fill the kitchen with supplies before we arrive.  

Hi Sunseeker, are you planning to secure a rental before viewing it then ?

If so, please don't. We got stung doing that (our position at the time led us to take a property unseen) it was a very very unpleasant experience and one I'd never ever repeat.

9 minutes ago, AliQ said:

If so, please don't. We got stung doing that (our position at the time led us to take a property unseen) it was a very very unpleasant experience and one I'd never ever repeat.

I second that. 

44 minutes ago, AliQ said:

Yes we have got to - no other way.  However it will only be temporary for around 2 months - once our stuff arrives we will need somewhere unfurnished.  I don’t see this as a great different to booking a holiday rental.  I know the area we are moving to.

If you don’t mind me asking what went wrong for you?

23 minutes ago, Sunseeker20 said:

Yes we have got to - no other way.  However it will only be temporary for around 2 months - once our stuff arrives we will need somewhere unfurnished.  I don’t see this as a great different to booking a holiday rental.  I know the area we are moving to.

If you don’t mind me asking what went wrong for you?

If you are taking a furnished "holiday"  rental for just two months then that's ok.

I was under the impression that you were taking a proper rental home unseen, on a contract, of which they are usually on a minimum term of six months.

1 minute ago, AliQ said:

If you are taking a furnished "holiday"  rental for just two months then that's ok.

I was under the impression that you were taking a proper rental home unseen, on a contract, of which they are usually on a minimum term of six months.

That’s not the plan but I would do this if I have to.  We need somewhere to live and it’s got to be in the catchment areas of the schools we want - actually a very small geographical area.  I do have the offer from a work colleague of them doing a viewing on our behalf if needed.

Our plans are all so very far from ideal.  I’m not an idiot and I can see the risks.  However we are making compromises to achieve our end goal.

Im always listening for helpful advice though!