Has anyway delayed or postponed their move to in light of the corona pandemic ?

North to South

Hi,

I'm just trying to get a sense of whether fellow PIOers who were planning to make the move this year are still hoping to, or whether you've postponed the move until next year.  We were due to move to Adelaide in mid July, but not sure how realistic, if at all this is now, but we don't want to delay too long as it will impact our daughters schooling.

If you were looking at going, it would be good to hear how other people are changing / shifting their plans in light of what we're all facing.

Looking forward to some interesting comments.

I was suppose to be their April 15, 2020 and to some extent I'm happy I haven't left yet. I have an opportunity to continue making money as the global economy slowly plummets, so that's the bright-side! However, most of us are looking forward to leaving our parent country, so I imagine it is just more time spent in a place/situation we are trying to ultimately remove ourselves from.

I would be giving it a couple of months at least. Might have to anyway as I think one of the last things they relax will be international visitors and migrants. You will probably have to self isolate for a couple of weeks when you get here too. Flights will be difficult to get.

On the upside we've been very lucky with virus numbers here, if it wasn't for cruise ships I reckon we would have a lot less numbers and deaths. Specially in WA. 

I think the economy will kick on pretty quick once this has all washed through though, the government is throwing some serious money around, building hasn't stopped, tradies are mostly working and the big mining companies are just keeping things ticking over. We'll be better than most countries here. Lot less people in a lot bigger country has its advantages.

I came out on holiday to set everything up at the start of March, and was meant to make the final move this week (was actually meant to be landing in Adelaide today!). When I saw how the virus spread while I was over here on my holiday and found out that Australia were closing the borders to everybody except citizens and PRs, I decided to stay in Australia and effectively bring the move forward. I'm on a 489 visa, so I was worried that if I returned to the UK I wouldn't be able to get back into Australia for who knows how long, and that would then eat into my living and working time to be eligible to apply for PR before my visa expires. Possibly a bit of a reckless decision, given that I was giving up an okay job to become unemployed in a time when there is now mass unemployment, but I wasn't prepared to let my Aussie dream slip through my fingers at the 11th hour, and it appears to be paying off so far - Yesterday I was offered a full time post starting in a few weeks' time, on a better salary than I was on back in the UK, for less responsibility and with a lot more additional benefits. 

I think the job situation depends on what field you are in - I'm here as a community worker and have had 4 interviews in the last 3 weeks and new posts coming up each day, so there is still jobs out there in certain fields that will still need staffing throughout this pandemic. I think some places (such as the supermarkets) are giving a priority to Australians who have lost their jobs in hospitality/retail/travel industries, though.

• Like 6
  • Congratulations 2

Due to move in July...the idea was to let the kids finish their school year.  I have a job in Oz to start 1st Aug.  Sold our U.K. home and currently in rental.  Partner resigned and will likely be on furlough for rest of notice period until end of June.  I’m a key worker so still working.  2 removal firms we got quote from now closed, the third has upped their quote by nearly £1000!!  We need to book flights that tie in with removals.  As it currently stands will have to do 2w quarantine on arrival in Melbourne then another 2w in Hobart (we are migrating to tas).  Currently thinking we will need to leave end of June to make my job start deadline but it’s really scary with 2 kids as well not knowing what the situation will be when we get there.  If they relax quarantine where do we stay if hotels all closed?  Airbnb’s shut so can only get a proper rental so how do we managed in an unfurnished apartment for weeks until our stuff arrives if shops are shut??

no point staying in U.K. now house sold and jobs resigned.......

13 hours ago, Sunseeker20 said:

Due to move in July...the idea was to let the kids finish their school year.  I have a job in Oz to start 1st Aug.  Sold our U.K. home and currently in rental.  Partner resigned and will likely be on furlough for rest of notice period until end of June.  I’m a key worker so still working.  2 removal firms we got quote from now closed, the third has upped their quote by nearly £1000!!  We need to book flights that tie in with removals.  As it currently stands will have to do 2w quarantine on arrival in Melbourne then another 2w in Hobart (we are migrating to tas).  Currently thinking we will need to leave end of June to make my job start deadline but it’s really scary with 2 kids as well not knowing what the situation will be when we get there.  If they relax quarantine where do we stay if hotels all closed?  Airbnb’s shut so can only get a proper rental so how do we managed in an unfurnished apartment for weeks until our stuff arrives if shops are shut??

Have you tried Seven Seas? They're handling the shipping of my move cube and apparently they've been uneffected by COVID. The service so far has been really good and efficient.

In regards to where you're staying, have you checked Facebook? There's groups on there for people seeking rentals and tenants, both short and long term, a lot of those are furnished. Also, I'm not sure about Tasmania, but most of the shops are still open here in SA, so hopefully you'd be able to pick up any essentials if you needed to buy anything in the meantime.

13 hours ago, Sunseeker20 said:

We're in a similar situation. We are dual citizens and planned to return to Australia after a long spell here in the UK travelling and spending time with relatives. Flights were booked then the virus hit, so plans now on hold until, no idea !
We can't just get on a flight and return, as we have to give notice on our rental, sell the car and get all our furniture wrapped & packed for shipping, also close all our utilities etc. This will take a minimum of four / five weeks so not giving up our rental now because if the situation changes for the worse, we could find ourselves homeless, also the shipping company are not working, or the car sale rooms at the moment anyway.

Another complication is that we sold our Australian home so have no home to return to, as we're moving to a different state for a lifestyle change, and really looking forward to it 😊

Hi all

We where looking at moving start of Sept to Adelaide and I am hoping that is still achievable.

I only hadn't booked flights as we where going to stop at Singapore & Thailand on route, but I hung on as this was all going on.

Sold my house the week before lockdown which was perfect timing and now living with the mother in law and saving more money.

I work as a supervisor in engineering but will be going back on the tools as a metal fabricator in Aus, I keep checking the job sites and there are still new jobs being advertised so I don't see any problems work wise.

Like Paul says tradies are still working so it will depend what line of work you are in.

Airbnbs still seem to be available and some are showing that they have been on courses regarding keeping houses clean during covid.

Good luck to everyone, keep your chins up and im sure that our dreams will still become a reality.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2020 at 00:07, Sunseeker20 said:

regarding quarantine - it seems extremely unlikely this will be relaxed by June and press conferences with the PM suggest border closure (and therefore quarantine) will remain in place for at least 6 months, possibly longer. 

As others have said, a number of stores remain open in Australia. In Perth IKEA remains open, as do JB hi-fi (electrical goods), David Jones (department store), Kmart, target etc etc. If Tasmania is similar you should be ok for buying household goods. Chemists are open, same with supermarkets and some retail outlets.

I live near a hotel in Perth and there seems to be a regular supply of guests. From where I have no idea, possibly FIFO workers from the mines, but the hotels remain open. 

On 17/04/2020 at 17:07, Sunseeker20 said:

Seven seas are still doing delivery, just re-done my quote and its gone up £100 so not bad.

We have to fly out by December at the latest date to validate our visa so there is an obvious worry for us that we won't be able to fly out of the UK and/or into Australia. 

There is a link on the Home Affairs website to contact them stating "compelling reasons" to get an extension or travel but only to do that if you plan to move within the next 3 months and we were planning November. I'm hoping activating a visa is a compelling reason enough to get an extension to our "fly out by" date and ideally the end of the 489 visa being extended past December 2023 to 3 years after whenever we are allowed to travel in by. 

Does anybody have any information on their plans for people that need to activate visas?

Has anyone booked flights yet?

Really starting to think that I should just go now.

Was looking Sept but I'm thinking that nothing will have changed by then anyway.

* Flights at present are £4300 for 4 of us, will that be different in Sept?

* 2 week quarentine when we arrive, will that be any different in Sept?

* Airbnb are cheaper at the minute so that makes up for some of the flights.

* Things may be worse in Sept and they shut borders all together.

* The Aus gov may start charging everyone for the 2 week quarentine.

What are peoples thoughts?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Was looking Sept but I'm thinking that nothing will have changed by then anyway.

I would think most people would say it’s a bad time to go. Only you can make that decision as only you know your financial situation. I think if you’re going now, you need to have the confidence that you have enough money to last quite sometime. Many people quote it’s a good idea to have enough to last 6 months, right now I think that figure needs to be higher. You may get lucky with jobs but as a family you need to know you can ride it out if it takes a long time to find a job. 

31 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I would think most people would say it’s a bad time to go. Only you can make that decision as only you know your financial situation. I think if you’re going now, you need to have the confidence that you have enough money to last quite sometime. Many people quote it’s a good idea to have enough to last 6 months, right now I think that figure needs to be higher. You may get lucky with jobs but as a family you need to know you can ride it out if it takes a long time to find a job. 

Money isn't a problem although I don't really want to be touching it as it will be a deposit on a house for when we are ready to buy, I have only factored me in for being out of work for 2 months (ideally).

Ive checked the job sites and there are still jobs going on for my trade (metal fabricator) which if its anything like the UK you struggle to get men.

Its not the best time to do this but sometimes your hand is forced.

We as a family don't want to be in the Uk for another 12 months or if covid all starts again longer.

1 hour ago, Lavers said:

Hi Lavers, we had flights booked for today ! we changed them to an "open date" but we're actually hoping to fly first week of August.

If the removalist's and car yards open soon, then we can get moving earlier.

We're watching with great interest as we want to get back to Aus as soon as we can.

If we have to do our quarantine (Brisbane) then that's fine, happy to do that.

13 minutes ago, AliQ said:

Hi Lavers, we had flights booked for today ! we changed them to an "open date" but we're actually hoping to fly first week of August.

If the removalist's and car yards open soon, then we can get moving earlier.

We're watching with great interest as we want to get back to Aus as soon as we can.

If we have to do our quarantine (Brisbane) then that's fine, happy to do that.

Have you still got jobs to go back to or will you have to sort them out again?

Movecube are still going but I need to sell my car.

5 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Have you still got jobs to go back to or will you have to sort them out again?

Movecube are still going but I need to sell my car.

I took early retirement, so neither of us work now. However, I am still registered as a Registered Nurse so I may try to pick up a day or two somewhere once we're settled.

We're using a full service removals' so until they can enter people's homes, we can't get our stuff packed.

Like you, we need to sell our car.

We could not get up and move quickly when the virus started as we're in a rental and need to give a month's notice.

Good luck with your move.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Money isn't a problem although I don't really want to be touching it as it will be a deposit on a house for when we are ready to buy, I have only factored me in for being out of work for 2 months (ideally).

Ive checked the job sites and there are still jobs going on for my trade (metal fabricator) which if its anything like the UK you struggle to get men.

Its not the best time to do this but sometimes your hand is forced.

We as a family don't want to be in the Uk for another 12 months or if covid all starts again longer.

Construction is still going on so I’d say jobs would be available as usual. I agree that I think the govt will start charging for quarantine at some point. It would be a gamble but I don’t expect flights will get any easier or cheaper for a long time 

• Like 1

Would I have to notify the govt that we are planning on arriving and is it definitely open for me as I haven't validated my visa yet?

I know a few of the MA agents said a while back that you could but do you know if that's still the case?

Thanks everyone for you input.

8 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Would I have to notify the govt that we are planning on arriving and is it definitely open for me as I haven't validated my visa yet?

I know a few of the MA agents said a while back that you could but do you know if that's still the case?

Thanks everyone for you input.

If it’s a 189 or a 190 then it’s ok