Still here ....

Emma_M

Hi, I’ve not posted for a while just disheartened by the time everything’s taken and trying not to think about things.

So just wanted to ask a few things regarding the whole covid situation. 

We are still waiting on our visa approval that was submitted on the 19th June 2018. 

Do applications have an expiry from lodgement if not granted within a certain timeframe?

How are visa applications progressing at the moment?

1 hour ago, Emma_M said:

Hi, I’ve not posted for a while just disheartened by the time everything’s taken and trying not to think about things.

So just wanted to ask a few things regarding the whole covid situation. 

We are still waiting on our visa approval that was submitted on the 19th June 2018. 

Do applications have an expiry from lodgement if not granted within a certain timeframe?

How are visa applications progressing at the moment?

a) No

b) slowly

What did you apply for?

Ok thanks, that’s good news regarding no time limit, it’s 190 for NSW, and the only thing that’s been holding us up is getting permission from my eldest sons father (long story) but he turns 18 in August so if things are progressing slower then that might work in our favour I suppose!

7 hours ago, Emma_M said:

Ok thanks, that’s good news regarding no time limit, it’s 190 for NSW, and the only thing that’s been holding us up is getting permission from my eldest sons father (long story) but he turns 18 in August so if things are progressing slower then that might work in our favour I suppose!

Just check with your agent about how that affects his visa.   For some visas, he would have to stay in full-time education and you'll have to demonstrate that he's dependent on you at the time of grant, otherwise he can't be included in your visa.  

15 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Just check with your agent about how that affects his visa.   For some visas, he would have to stay in full-time education and you'll have to demonstrate that he's dependent on you at the time of grant, otherwise he can't be included in your visa.  

Yep him progressing to adulthood solves one problem, and creates a whole new set of others.

Our daughter had her 18th whilst we were waiting for the CO to issue the grant, and as a result we had to fill out the following for her

A form 80 for her specifically

A form 407a (I think) which declares that she is a dependant adult and why she is dependent (schooling, no job, all income comes from us) and rafts and rafts of evidence that we support her (mobile phone bills, allowance payments, school transport paid, clothing receipts etc etc)

If he isn't in education i.e. has a full time job, then it gets quite difficult as technically they are no longer dependent on you and as such don't necessarily qualify for a dependent visa on your application

Edited by Ausvisitor

43 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

If he isn't in education i.e. has a full time job, then it gets quite difficult as technically they are no longer dependent on you and as such don't necessarily qualify for a dependent visa on your application

I'd put it more strongly than that.  If he has even a part-time job, he may be classed as no longer dependent and therefore won't qualify for a dependent visa on your application.

I know we have one member (I can't remember who) whose child was doing a full-time course at university, but also had a part-time job and lived on campus.  The child wasn't classed as dependent and was refused.   Whereas we've seen others in the same boat who got accepted.  

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I'd put it more strongly than that.  If he has even a part-time job, he may be classed as no longer dependent and therefore won't qualify for a dependent visa on your application.

I know we have one member (I can't remember who) whose child was doing a full-time course at university, but also had a part-time job and lived on campus.  The child wasn't classed as dependent and was refused.   Whereas we've seen others in the same boat who got accepted.  

I didn't realise they were that strict on the definition. Either way if I was the OP I'd be applying all the pressure under the sun to get the approval letter from the other parent now whilst the child is under 18.

We have the permission on the form 1229 when the application was lodged, then the  co wanted additional contact details to call him so then gave them, they haven’t been able to phone to confirm details for many reasons.

So a statutory declaration was also filled out and signed my a solicitor but this wasn’t satisfactory either as it could be an easily falsified document! Honestly it’s just an absolute nightmare.

My son is currently in an apprenticeship so I’m not sure if that’ll class him as a dependent or not but surely, circumstances will be taken into account regarding he was 15 when we lodged the application? I really hope so 😢

13 minutes ago, Emma_M said:

My son is currently in an apprenticeship so I’m not sure if that’ll class him as a dependent or not but surely, circumstances will be taken into account regarding he was 15 when we lodged the application? I really hope so 😢

No idea if an apprenticeship counts as dependent or not, your agent should advise. But no, they won’t consider what age he was when you applied.

4 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

No idea if an apprenticeship counts as dependent or not, your agent should advise. But no, they won’t consider what age he was when you applied.

No idea about the apprenticeship either, but my agent told me that it didn't matter that our daughter was under 18 when we applied it was the age she is when the grant decision is made that counts, that's why we ended up having to fill out all the additional stuff. 

• Like 1

The trouble with an apprenticeship is that whilst it is still education your son will be earning a wage.

I know when I did mine and in care the council stopped supporting me at 18, where as it would have been 21 if I was at college/Uni.

Just to add....if it did effect your son then would it be best to stop his apprenticeship so that it didnt come into the equation.

Edited by Lavers

11 hours ago, Emma_M said:

We have the permission on the form 1229 when the application was lodged, then the  co wanted additional contact details to call him so then gave them, they haven’t been able to phone to confirm details for many reasons.

So a statutory declaration was also filled out and signed my a solicitor but this wasn’t satisfactory either as it could be an easily falsified document! Honestly it’s just an absolute nightmare.

Him doing an apprenticeship would almost certainly mean he’s not dependent on you. Even if he earns a low wage, the UK has a fantastic benefit system which would top his wages up if he had to live on his own. Therefore it would be very hard to say he’s financially dependent on you. It would be a good idea to get advice on this as him being in education could be the difference between getting the visa or not. Best of luck. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1