RRV Plans effected by COVID 19

Plumboz

Hi all, I’m hoping somebody could advise, we were due to return to Adelaide in August 2020 with our RRV which expires September 2020 problem being with the pandemic and the effects on selling our property here in the UK the timeline is looking very unlikely to work out. Does anybody know if we would be likely to get an extension to the RRV date? 

Thanks

Dan

The fact that they announced that they are extending temporary visa holders who are already here in Australia extensions on their visas that are due to expire within the next 6 months I would say that they would likely extend a residents return visa for a permanent resident that is offshore . I would contact immigration as soon as possible to ask for an extension . I can’t see why they would refuse due to the current circumstances. They have been repatriating Australian citizens and permanent residents of Australia and allowing both to enter Australia under strict isolation rules of mandatory  Isolation  for 14 days in a hotel in the Australian state they arrive in .(  I would however be cautious of the permanent residence status as it may only be allowed for those that currently have a home established here in and may not include PR residents that have been living out of Australia for some time . This is only my opinion and would need to check with immigration regarding this ) It has also been announced that it is currently expected that no international travel from Australia will be allowed until at least the end of the year and more than likely to be 2021 ( apart from repatriations and exempts ) . 

5 minutes ago, Plumboz said:

Yes I’d like to think so too, I’m emailing Immigration today but I’m assuming they will have a a lot of emails to deal with. Thanks for you reply.

yes I’m sure they will be inundated with calls and emails . There will be many that will be waiting to activate their PR visa for the first time too  . All the stimulus packages in Australia are currently of  a timescale for the next 6 months so would expect that you will be granted a 6 month extension of the least at this point . Good luck with it all but I’m sure your right to travel on your PR visa will be extended due to COVID-19. Always wise as you are doing though is to apply for an extension and keep trying until you get confirmation in writing .

2 hours ago, Jojoe said:

The fact that they announced that they are extending temporary visa holders who are already here in Australia extensions on their visas that are due to expire within the next 6 months I would say that they would likely extend a residents return visa for a permanent resident that is offshore . I would contact immigration as soon as possible to ask for an extension . I can’t see why they would refuse due to the current circumstances. They have been repatriating Australian citizens and permanent residents of Australia and allowing both to enter Australia under strict isolation rules of mandatory  Isolation  for 14 days in a hotel in the Australian state they arrive in .(  I would however be cautious of the permanent residence status as it may only be allowed for those that currently have a home established here in and may not include PR residents that have been living out of Australia for some time . This is only my opinion and would need to check with immigration regarding this ) It has also been announced that it is currently expected that no international travel from Australia will be allowed until at least the end of the year and more than likely to be 2021 ( apart from repatriations and exempts ) . 

Where are you getting 2021 from? I hadn't sen anything with a definite date in it, never mind one as far ahead as the end of next year?

You cannot “extend” any visa, including an RRV. You need to apply for a new one before the old one expires. If you are eligible for an RRV, it should be granted, but you haven’t provided anywhere near enough information to comment on this. 
I suggest not taking the advice of the call centre, particularly on something like this, without checking with an RMA. 

38 minutes ago, paulhand said:

You cannot “extend” any visa, including an RRV. You need to apply for a new one before the old one expires. If you are eligible for an RRV, it should be granted, but you haven’t provided anywhere near enough information to comment on this. 
I suggest not taking the advice of the call centre, particularly on something like this, without checking with an RMA. 

Yes I’m fully aware that in usual circumstances visas are not extended but these are not usual circumstances and was trying to find out if they would extend RRV due to the COVID outbreak which is stopping people travelling. As I said in my initial post my RRV expires in September and I don’t believe I meet the criteria to be eligible for a new RRV, hence my question.

1 minute ago, Plumboz said:

Yes I’m fully aware that in usual circumstances visas are not extended but these are not usual circumstances and was trying to find out if they would extend RRV due to the COVID outbreak which is stopping people travelling. As I said in my initial post my RRV expires in September and I don’t believe I meet the criteria to be eligible for a new RRV, hence my question.

As I said, ‘they’ expect you to apply for a new visa even in these circumstances. It’s too early to tell (not enough data) whether they will be more flexible on interpreting the substantial ties/compelling circumstances provisions of the RRV legislation for people in your circumstances. 

14 minutes ago, paulhand said:

As I said, ‘they’ expect you to apply for a new visa even in these circumstances. It’s too early to tell (not enough data) whether they will be more flexible on interpreting the substantial ties/compelling circumstances provisions of the RRV legislation for people in your circumstances. 

Thanks.

Yes you’re right Paul.. the call centre said ‘it shouldn’t be a problem you being out of the country for your citizen application as long as you’re eligible when you apply’. 2 years later I was refused so wasted my money, luckily was only about $350!

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Jojobluesox2 said:

Hello Plumboz,

Did you get a response from immigration?

Hi, yes I had a reply but seemed like a standard response email directing me to different links so emailed again and the response was that when my RRV expires I’ll have to reapply with no mention of extensions or advice for this situation, unfortunately for me I Know I won’t meet the criteria for a new RRV, so it looks like my plans for the last 5 years are over. Likewise if you hear any different please let me know.

I am in the same situation with my PR travel facility due to expire in December 2020. I planned to return in September this year. 

Is it possible to apply for a RRV prior to my travel facility expiration date to see if I would get it? I’m not sure I meet the requirements & I don’t want to risk waiting until it expires to find out I can’t have it. I’m very anxious at the though of losing my PR

I’m in a similar position but mine expires in  July 2020. You can apply now and if it’s not a straight forward case i.e you haven’t competed a min of 2 years it could take several months to be granted if it is granted. Also aren’t you worried about getting a flight under all these travel bans ? 

7 hours ago, G-78 said:

I’m in a similar position but mine expires in  July 2020. You can apply now and if it’s not a straight forward case i.e you haven’t competed a min of 2 years it could take several months to be granted if it is granted. Also aren’t you worried about getting a flight under all these travel bans ? 

Not so much as I’m sure I’m be able to fly before December if It comes to it and I have to. I’m more worried about not being able to sort my life out in UK before December, in terms of renting out my UK property and leaving my (currently) stable job in UK in such a uncertain times.

I don’t meet the 2 years rule. I left within 6 months of getting my PR. I’d been in the country for around 6 years at the time aswell, I kick myself daily for not sticking it out another few months and getting my citizenship 🤦🏻‍♀️ At the time I desperately needed a change and missed my family in the UK so I let my heart rule my head. I regret it now.

What’s your plan? July is so close, did you apply for a RRV already? 

If you got 6 years behind you then I’m sure you will have enough evidence to show substantial ties to Australia, that’s if time prior to getting the PR counts. For me even if I apply for rrv now it will be granted or refused after the deadline as it takes several weeks especially since I don’t meet the 2 year criteria. I will just have to move in few weeks. My 2 obstacles are that I’m in lockdown at the moment in I India (I’m also British born Indian and I’m sure I will get on one of the repatriate flights soon) and also have been a little sick after reacting to an awful antibiotic. Anyway hope everything falls to place. This Covid-19 couldnt have come at a worse time for me.