Issue with 309 visa

amandahughes

Hi All,

I am currently on a WHV in Australia and have been here since last June. We applied for the 309 last year and received the email to leave Australia for the grant in January. 

We booked a trip for May which has obviously now been cancelled due to COVID 19. I have been given an extension to leave the country by October for the grant however the issue is my WHV expires this June. 

It seems ridiculous they are still expecting people to leave the country to activate visas within this situation. I was wondering whether applying for the 408 visa would override my 309 application or whether anyone has had any luck in being granted the 309 while onshore during the pandemic

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance! 

4 hours ago, amandahughes said:

It seems ridiculous they are still expecting people to leave the country to activate visas within this situation.

That’s what the law requires for this visa. 

4 hours ago, amandahughes said:

I was wondering whether applying for the 408 visa would override my 309 application or whether anyone has had any luck in being granted the 309 while onshore during the pandemic?

No and no for this.