and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

ssiri

Off Topic Coronavirus 2020

3 hours ago, Parley said:

We are all geniuses with the benefit of hindsight

The thing is, the UK government had the benefit of hindsight and still did nothing. The UK's borders are STILL open. Planes are still flying unrestricted into the UK and people are not being checked or even told to self-quarantine when they get off the plane.  They're only told to self-isolate IF they start having symptoms, and even then, only for 7 days.   

The only reason there are fewer planes, ferries etc entering the UK is that some people are scared to travel.  

We're always told how lucky Britain was to be an island in WWII because it made defending the country easier. Yet no one seems to have thought of the obvious solution, even after other countries had already done it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

The Uk still has open borders. Please tell me this isn’t so. Please.

1 hour ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Well who else is going to do it then? Chump?

It was not sealing the borders that was the problem, it was not monitoring and checking travellers and identifying carriers and quarantining them, not done because of negligence and a complete lack of staff and preparedness after cuts to PH staff, privatisation of airports and giant cuts to Border control staff by austerity obsessed Tory govt,  they even failed to use EH staff because they thought that would give them increased credibility.

And what in my post was funny as the country sits here with the prime minister in a ICU because he and his party failed to take this pandemic seriously

Herd immunity!!!

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

The Uk still has open borders. Please tell me this isn’t so. Please.

Well it seems the law allowing this to be done was passed last week but has not been put into effect, it seems we are relying on the fact that no one is allowed to travel, which seems to be working only too well as uk citizens remain stuck in holiday destinations with the country making little effort to repatriate them, yet another out working of austerity cuts made to overseas embassy staffing as they were reduced to trade only functions.

Its solved the asylum seeker problem tho it seems, no one thinks it worth braving the channel to come to coronavirus Britain.

Just watching news about Belorussian president who is denying severity of virus, lets see how that works out for the idiot tyrant in charge, seems he is raking it in by televising full spectator soccer matches to a world starved of sport

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

14 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52198946

You Tube are not impressed with him

Well that tells me that maybe he has something there then as they only seem to ban things that don;t fit with the lefty world view and that might possibly have an element of truth in them.

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

6 minutes ago, Rossmoyne said:

Well that tells me that maybe he has something there then as they only seem to ban things that don;t fit with the lefty world view and that might possibly have an element of truth in them.

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Do bear in mind that David Icke believes there's a race of lizard-like, shape-shifting aliens who are behind all of it. 

What is wrong with a left wing analysis, all that usually means is a belief in the 'Rights' of the individual, altruism and the value of collective action by society for the benefit and greater good of society.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Scaremongering at its best. This is a company set up by Bill Gates who is on the board of many pharmaceutical company's, they have got a lot of criticism in the past.

Hmmmmmmm

Seems to be concerned about your hobby horses, malaria, Aids and TB, but I'm sure there is some conspiracy theory on par with Soros

http://www.healthdata.org/about/collaborators

8 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Scaremongering at its best. This is a company set up by Bill Gates who is on the board of many pharmaceutical company's, they have got a lot of criticism in the past.

But why would they produce data only to scare people in the UK and reassure people in France, Spain and Italy?

Personally I find these projections odd particularly as the above 3 countries are nearly at those numbers in early April and nobody really knows what relaxation of restrictions will take place once the initial emergency has passed.

The projections show the US only 20% higher than the UK which, based on population alone, makes no sense either.

I really hope against hope that they are way off the mark with the UK numbers.  My major fear with the UK is that people with serious symptoms out in the community (let alone people with mild symptoms) have no access to tests, are struggling already to get access to hospital treatment and even dying at home, undiagnosed.

The UK is reporting a mortality rate of well over 10% for a virus with a 1-2% mortality rate.  This suggests that the UK must have more than 500,000 cases rather than the numbers touted.  

And anyone who raises any concerns about this is deemed anti-British.  I have relatives and very good friends in the UK.  I desperately want these numbers to be wrong.

• Like 2

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

55 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

But why would they produce data only to scare people in the UK and reassure people in France, Spain and Italy?

Personally I find these projections odd particularly as the above 3 countries are nearly at those numbers in early April and nobody really knows what relaxation of restrictions will take place once the initial emergency has passed.

The projections show the US only 20% higher than the UK which, based on population alone, makes no sense either.

I really hope against hope that they are way off the mark with the UK numbers.  My major fear with the UK is that people with serious symptoms out in the community (let alone people with mild symptoms) have no access to tests, are struggling already to get access to hospital treatment and even dying at home, undiagnosed.

The UK is reporting a mortality rate of well over 10% for a virus with a 1-2% mortality rate.  This suggests that the UK must have more than 500,000 cases rather than the numbers touted.  

And anyone who raises any concerns about this is deemed anti-British.  I have relatives and very good friends in the UK.  I desperately want these numbers to be wrong.

People need to be scared to change their behaviour.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

Exactly.

It might be something to do with the fact that a lot of people are having to face the fact that the  govt they elected enacted a a set of policies which have real consequences and those are affecting people who thought they never would. 

The figures coming out of America are not a true representation of the situation as it seems to me that no one is responsible for collecting them and may only be those dying in hospital, I'm sure that many are dying at home undiagnosed. .

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

57 minutes ago, Parley said:

People need to be scared to change their behaviour.

I don’t agree they need to be scared.  They just need reliable data and facts and I don’t think they have been getting this right from the start.

There was a brief period when I thought that the UK Government had decided to level with people then there was the whole downplaying of Boris Johnson’s condition coupled with the ongoing ludicrously low numbers of cases.

• Haha 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

5 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

Trump knows what he wants, re election, and he will stop at nothing to achieve it, he is now officially on a par with a small time African despot fiddling elections 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/08/trump-mail-in-voting-2020-election 

You seem rather obsessed with President Trump  aren’t there bigger and better things to do in life. 

4 hours ago, Rallyman said:

You seem rather obsessed with President Trump  aren’t there bigger and better things to do in life. 

Yep, I understand re runs of England v Germany soccer matches are good entertainment

Ive been coming on this website for quite a few years now.....often I find myself not at all surprised by some of the comments directed at us living here in the UK by some of the posters......the 2008 GFC when the UK was apparently on its a@se......Brexit when again the UK is heading for immediate doom and destruction without the whip hand I might ad 😂......but what I am reading on here and on the other couple of threads regarding this corona virus crisis is nothing short of hysteria......there is so much of it.....borders.....testing.....response.....it is quite mind boggling and quite disturbing really that some of you are saying the things you are saying.....someone said (cant remember who) that Boris's poor hygiene maybe why he got the virus......😂😂🤣......I mean really!.....nothing to do with the fact it is highly contagious and he mixes with lots of people and lives in London which is the centre of our outbreak......maybe Prince Charles is also a dirty....filthy bugger......Planes are still flying unrestricted into the UK......really???.....95% have stopped.....most flights are cargo......we have thousands of nationals stuck overseas and some of the airlines are keeping some routes open to try and get these people home......"Please don't tell me the borders are still open....please".....im not sure what thats aimed at.....illegals trying to get in or people still being able to travel.....either or.....the law recently passed just before parliament closed allows border force to close the borders if they deem it necessary....due to staff shortages etc.....other than that....we are managing ok and see my previous answer......6 months ago we were being slated across the board for wanting Brexit......closing ourselves off from Europe and here we are now amidst a European crisis.....just about every other country has closed its borders and looking after number one apart from us and we are being criticised for it.....😂.....honestly the queues of you lining up to have a pop is quite amazing and surprising at the same time.......France.....Italy.....Spain.....Belgium......Holland.....Switzerland......all suffering with this crisis as a population per M worse than us.....yet some how they reacted a bit quicker than us or they have been forgiven for their slow reaction because they were caught off guard😂😂😂.....but the UK is a disgrace....the government incompetent....greedy🤔.....arrogant and bleeding stupid......just in case any of you are wondering....no I am not throwing my toys out of the pram.....I am laughing.....not only laughing at what I am reading but also why anyone on here would be visiting "mumsnet"..........🤣

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, newjez said:

It's not hindsight parley.

Places like Mumsnet were screaming for the UK to lockdown.

Other countries were begging the UK to change tack.

It's wasn't hindsight, it was arrogance and ignorance, bordering on bleeding stupidity. 

It can only be incompetence or greed. I suspect the latter.

now are you 100% certain you mean this NJ.....because only days ago your opinion and someone elses differed a tad.......🤔.......which one is it.....are you in or are you out.....are they good or are they bad?

On 26/03/2020 at 08:36, newjez said:

I do have to say that I have been very impressed with Boris and his team. This would have crippled the UK if it had hit before the election, and I dread to think how Corbyn would have coped.

Boris has made mistakes. That's fair enough, this is uncharted territory. What makes him statesman like is that he has owned his mistakes and corrected them.

I may even vote for him next time if he keeps this up.

On 26/03/2020 at 08:55, Gbye grey sky said:

I have been impressed too.  I like the way he takes the tough questions and doesn’t dodge them.

He has rightly dropped the jokey persona which I wasn’t convinced he was capable of.

mumsnet......😂🤣😂

Edited by kungfustu

Just wanted to ad before I get accused of not taking this seriously.....yes I take this 100% seriously......I’m living here most of you are not.

22 hours ago, newjez said:

World health?

They aint doing a very good job then are they.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

This is most interesting in view of our govts failure to ban football and concerts, I'm sorry, but blind Freddie could see that things were going to have to be closed down and Boris's govt simply didn't want to, they left it for the FA to do it for them.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/the-cluster-effect-how-social-gatherings-were-rocket-fuel-for-coronavirus

13 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

I guess they don't want widespread panic which would probably occur if they revealed the true numbers involved. On the other hand if they downplay it too much people will ignore the isolation stuff. Tricky.

They are elected to manage, get on and manage and take the brickbats, none of them can deliver an inspiring, motivational speech, Churchill for all his faults was a class act at doing it.

Better to be criticised for what you do than for what you didn't 

31 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

I guess they don't want widespread panic which would probably occur if they revealed the true numbers involved. On the other hand if they downplay it too much people will ignore the isolation stuff. Tricky.

The numbers countries they are giving are the true numbers, there is no combined country conspiracy, the only country I dont believe with the figures are China.

• Like 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

IMG-20200409-WA0000.jpg

• Haha 5

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

On 31/03/2020 at 21:13, Dusty Plains said:

Is every opinion that counters your opinion, a conspiracy theory? Perhaps its just the Guardian telling you how to think.

On 31/03/2020 at 22:06, Canada2Australia said:

Russian and China are not one another's enemy. They are allies of each other and enemies of the US.

Spot on canada2australia .

Who is fighting , covertly with the russians in syria ?

Twisted thinking by some ,instead of looking at the evidence .

Some idiot stated on here yesterday that trump represented the elites 😀😀😀😀- that's where their twisted logic comes from .

So why is trump trying to " drain the swamp " .

The elites are wholeheartedly behind sleepy joe biden , and their  failing globalist agenda

As they were with the bushs , the Clinton's and the Obamas. 

They will do anything to take trump down  

• Haha 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

For all those posters who are trying to deflect the blame for this pandemic , away from the chinese leadership , and onto the likes of Donald Trump. 

I suggest they Google the name 

Dr ai fen 

She was the doctor in wuhan , who broke the story , and subsequent cover up 

Shes gone missing !

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE