UK plumber wanting to move on, 189??

59 minutes ago, Joe/Rose said:

Oh, you only have an NVQ 2? Thats not sufficient, NVQ L3 is the minimum for a licensed trade I thought?

48 minutes ago, Lavers said:

It would be NVQ level 3 to pass your skill assessment, NVQ level 2 comes really early in your training (or at least it did for me as a Metal Fabricator/Boilermaker)

No I got my NVQ level 3 but someone told me I'm classed as qualified once I got my level 2.. take it, it isn't true

@BrummieInOz I can’t help with any of your questions, sorry, but maybe a proper consult with a mara agent would be the best thing to get a realistic plan in place or if you just have to bin the idea. At least you’ll know for sure then. @paulhand or @Alan Collett are just 2 of the experienced agents on here who would be able to give you an appraisal of your chances.

Best of luck with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrummieInOz said:

No I got my NVQ level 3 but someone told me I'm classed as qualified once I got my level 2.. take it, it isn't true

I wouldn't have thought so bud, as NVQ level 2 are fairly easy to get but I could be wrong.

If you've got your NVQ level 3 then that would be qualified.

7 hours ago, BrummieInOz said:

Yeah I know. I wouldn't start any process until all this coronavirus situation was over. As I'd need a first aid certificate aswell. 

It's just that's the only thing on my mind right now, my future. And if to go back to my old job or try and go back to oz 😔

😟 That's abit worrying aswell, but I'd contact some centre or visa advisor before hand anyway like suggested.

I got my NVQ 2, 2 years ago and I believe I'm qualified from then but it's still only 2 years and even if it was 3 years I'd only have 60 points.

Theres no chance I'd pass the english. My only option would be to go back over when safe to do so and try my hardest to find a possible employer that is open to sponsoring me (long shot but seen jobs advertising willing to sponsor right candidate). 

I've got long family members but they are my moms cousins husbands relatives 🤣🤣🤣 dont think they would count for family sponsorship.

Oh well, I'll keep looking at my other options before I contact and go back to my old company.. ie maybe a short college course to gain some extra points... or different visas available.

Again appreciate everyones input in this thread 👏🏻👍🏻Helped me out alot

An amplifier is not allowed to sponsor you unless you meet all the requirements for the visa including the necessary experience. Same problem 

Best thing you can do is work as a plumber for the next 'X amount' of years until you max your work exp, and make sure you go to AUS on on WHV and also work as a plumber for however many years your WHV permits. Other than that a provisional visa is the only other option. Be prepared to dedicate the next +5 years to this dream, it has been a long processes for all of us. Work experience alone usually spans a decade for most. Fortunately for you I think plumbers will remain on the list for a long time, as most applicants rarely engage in occupations related to 'manual labour', therefore a shortage in those fields may continue for years to come. Be wise and play the game correctly!

• Like 2

On 14/04/2020 at 16:03, Domo said:

Best thing you can do is work as a plumber for the next 'X amount' of years until you max your work exp, and make sure you go to AUS on on WHV and also work as a plumber for however many years your WHV permits. Other than that a provisional visa is the only other option. Be prepared to dedicate the next +5 years to this dream, it has been a long processes for all of us. Work experience alone usually spans a decade for most. Fortunately for you I think plumbers will remain on the list for a long time, as most applicants rarely engage in occupations related to 'manual labour', therefore a shortage in those fields may continue for years to come. Be wise and play the game correctly!

I’m confused, go to work on a WHV and work as a plumber?

Thats Surely not the right advice? Rather, you want to remain in the U.K. & work as an NVQ3 qualified plumber, to gain off-shore working experience, plumbing I’m sure, is a licensed trade, therefore you can’t just rock up in Australia & work as a plumber, an electrician  etc.

Work experience; to count towards your visa points score means, you need to work as a qualified tradesman, that means post apprenticeship, to build up experience counting years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joe/Rose said:

Thats Surely not the right advice? Rather, you want to remain in the U.K. & work as an NVQ3 qualified plumber, to gain off-shore working experience

He does say, get the required work experience first, before you go for the WHV.   You are right, the OP wouldn't be able to work as a fully qualified plumber on a WHV, but he would be able to work for a plumber - and it would get him over to Australia instantly, instead of having to apply and twiddle his thumbs for a year or more while his application for a permanent visa goes through.    He could even apply for the permanent visa and take the WHV while he's waiting.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2020 at 03:49, Marisawright said:

He does say, get the required work experience first, before you go for the WHV.   You are right, the OP wouldn't be able to work as a fully qualified plumber on a WHV, but he would be able to work for a plumber - and it would get him over to Australia instantly, instead of having to apply and twiddle his thumbs for a year or more while his application for a permanent visa goes through.    He could even apply for the permanent visa and take the WHV while he's waiting.

I'm not sure if I will go back to work in Australia on a WHV as mine expires in Jan and by the looks of things they won't be opening the borders anytime soon.

I'd happily work as a plumbing trade assistant as this would be better for me to learn. However I don't think I'll get sponsored and I see it pointless going to work for a few months just to come back, as I dont need the money exactly (That's not my main purpose of working over there).

I can't get a 2nd year WHV either as I'm too old... So I'm thinking of doing an english exam to get my proficient english 10 points I would need to get a total of 65, then get a job as a trade assistant if it got approved.

1 hour ago, BrummieInOz said:

I'd happily work as a plumbing trade assistant as this would be better for me to learn. However I don't think I'll get sponsored...

... So I'm thinking of doing an english exam to get my proficient english 10 points I would need to get a total of 65, then get a job as a trade assistant if it got approved.

You're right, you definitely wouldn't get sponsored because you don't have enough work experience to be eligible for an employer-sponsored visa. 

Your only option is to stay in the UK until you've got enough experience to meet the criteria. No point in applying for any kind of visa until you've got that under your belt.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2020 at 10:28, BrummieInOz said:

Yeah I know. I wouldn't start any process until all this coronavirus situation was over. As I'd need a first aid certificate aswell. 

It's just that's the only thing on my mind right now, my future. And if to go back to my old job or try and go back to oz 😔

😟 That's abit worrying aswell, but I'd contact some centre or visa advisor before hand anyway like suggested.

I got my NVQ 2, 2 years ago and I believe I'm qualified from then but it's still only 2 years and even if it was 3 years I'd only have 60 points.

Theres no chance I'd pass the english. My only option would be to go back over when safe to do so and try my hardest to find a possible employer that is open to sponsoring me (long shot but seen jobs advertising willing to sponsor right candidate). 

I've got long family members but they are my moms cousins husbands relatives 🤣🤣🤣 dont think they would count for family sponsorship.

Oh well, I'll keep looking at my other options before I contact and go back to my old company.. ie maybe a short college course to gain some extra points... or different visas available.

Again appreciate everyones input in this thread 👏🏻👍🏻Helped me out alot

I'm not sure which passports you hold, but Australia allows both Canadians and Irish citizens the right to a WHV up until 35, I'm Canadian and have successfully applied for a WHV at 32, so I speak from experience. The reason I suggest a WHV is that you may use it as a vehicle as with any other temporary visas to gain 1 year or more of AUSTRALIAN work experience, where the rest you can collect at home in your parent country for the next 'X' number of years. Australian work experience is absolutely crucial at your current juncture, and doing any and all work related to 'plumbing'. On Iscahs website, I also read that immigration recently changed experience to include years studied/trained in a particular field (as long as their synonymous with one another, such as your NVQ), so your training as a plumber may also be included on your offshore work experience. Again, don't quote me, read the recent Immigration changes the DOH has made and Iscah has published and run it by a qualified MARA agent.

• Like 1

On 16/04/2020 at 16:58, Joe/Rose said:

Thats Surely not the right advice? Rather, you want to remain in the U.K. & work as an NVQ3 qualified plumber, to gain off-shore working experience, plumbing I’m sure, is a licensed trade, therefore you can’t just rock up in Australia & work as a plumber, an electrician  etc.

Work experience; to count towards your visa points score means, you need to work as a qualified tradesman, that means post apprenticeship, to build up experience counting years.

Sure you can! Any tradesman should be able to work under any licensed electrician, plumbing, refrigeration, etc company which is willing to hire you, pay you properly, etc in such roles as an apprentice or a laborer. I'm a carpenter by trade and have already been invited to NSW for a 190, I was contemplating on working there as a tradey if I need be, fortunately I didn't have to go through the trouble. Mind you, domestic Australian work experience is of greater value than offshore experience on a year/point basis. Just 1 year of qualified Aus work experience will grant you 5 points, which is a pretty big deal!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Domo said:

I'm not sure which passports you hold, but Australia allows both Canadians and Irish citizens the right to a WHV up until 35, I'm Canadian and have successfully applied for a WHV at 32, so I speak from experience. 

Yes, but he's already used his and you can't get a second one.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Domo said:

Sure you can! Any tradesman should be able to work under any licensed electrician, plumbing, refrigeration, etc company which is willing to hire you, pay you properly, etc in such roles as an apprentice or a laborer. I'm a carpenter by trade and have already been invited to NSW for a 190, I was contemplating on working there as a tradey if I need be, fortunately I didn't have to go through the trouble. Mind you, domestic Australian work experience is of greater value than offshore experience on a year/point basis. Just 1 year of qualified Aus work experience will grant you 5 points, which is a pretty big deal!

...but like I said, it's all irrelevant to the OP because he can't get a second WHV anyway, and he can't get any other kind of visa because he hasn't got enough experience.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It is practically impossible to have your Uk qualifications accepted in Australia. 

vetasses and Co give you an off shore skills record which is only good for a visa. 

when you arrive you will find it very hard to ever get qualified as a plumber. 

the skills record gets you a temporary work permit that lasts for 3 years. 

the only trusted college is Tafe and they won’t want to know you unless you want to undertake an apprenticeship. 

the qualification system is mostly set up by private companies that are only interested in taking your money and stringing you along. 

if you manage to Get work for 2 years and can show evidence you can pay another 3k and do a similar assessment as vetassess and gain a permanent work permit. 

after this if you want to work for yourself you will need to go to college for another 2 years to gain the license. 

the system is set up to keep immigrants working for Australian born citizens. 

it would be easier to apply for a student visa and come over as an apprentice. 

• 8 months later...

BrummieInOz, sorry commenting on such an old post but interested to see how things are going and if you have made any progress with your move to Oz?

I too am looking at the possibility of moving to Oz as a plumber and yes it appears to be very difficult in some cases and expensive.

There’s pros and cons for me, I have over 20 years experience in plumbing, heating and gas but I am 41 which is against me really and also doesn’t give me long to get a visa sorted.

I also have a family of four so lots of expense and looks like I would need to take some form of English test to get anywhere near the points required. 

Scary costs really, I have only just started looking but think it will be around £10k on visas, £3-4k plumbing tests / paperwork and then moving costs so I think £25k minimum is where I’m at and to be honest I don’t think I’ll even make the points 😞

15 minutes ago, GasManJamie said:

BrummieInOz, sorry commenting on such an old post but interested to see how things are going and if you have made any progress with your move to Oz?

I too am looking at the possibility of moving to Oz as a plumber and yes it appears to be very difficult in some cases and expensive.

There’s pros and cons for me, I have over 20 years experience in plumbing, heating and gas but I am 41 which is against me really and also doesn’t give me long to get a visa sorted.

I also have a family of four so lots of expense and looks like I would need to take some form of English test to get anywhere near the points required. 

Scary costs really, I have only just started looking but think it will be around £10k on visas, £3-4k plumbing tests / paperwork and then moving costs so I think £25k minimum is where I’m at and to be honest I don’t think I’ll even make the points 😞

Hi mate

Have you looked at a 190 visa? You wouldn't need as many points as a 189 so more likely to get it.

You would still most likely have to do the English test though.

5 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Hi mate

Have you looked at a 190 visa? You wouldn't need as many points as a 189 so more likely to get it.

You would still most likely have to do the English test though.

Hi mate, 

Yes I have looked at that one, looks like 65 points min and I think I scored 55 or something without the English test so I may scrape by. Is the IELTS the only recognised test for this visa as I see they’re other tests for proficient English rather that superior?

1 hour ago, GasManJamie said:

I too am looking at the possibility of moving to Oz as a plumber....There’s pros and cons for me, I have over 20 years experience in plumbing, heating and gas but I am 41 which is against me really and also doesn’t give me long to get a visa sorted.

I also have a family of four 

Scary costs really, I have only just started looking 

@Ausvisitor made the move fairly recently and can give you a breakdown of what the actual moving costs are these days.

Wrussell mentioned employer-sponsored visas:  it's true that they're not points tested, but most of them are only temporary, for 2 to 4 years.  There is a possibility you might then be able to transfer to a permanent visa, BUT it's only a possibility and far from guaranteed.  So if you go that route, it's vital to plan on the basis you'll be coming home after 2/4 years, and then if you do manage to score a perm visa, it's a bonus. It can be a great adventure for a single or a couple.  However with a family of four, it's debatable if it's worth it -- you've got to consider how it will impact the kids' education, for one thing, and even though the employer will pay your fares, you'll be up for thousands in extra costs to move there and back.

Some employers will offer a permanent sponsored visa straight away. If you can get one of those then it's well worth going for. 

Always remember that the 189 visa process is exactly like applying for a job.  The job advert tells you the minimum qualifications required, but if that's all you've got, you're unlikely to get the job--it'll go to someone with better qualifications or more experience.  The minimum points required to apply for a 189 visa is 65.  However, we all know there's no point applying unless you have over 90 points. There's only a small quota granted every year and there's thousands of people with over 90 points, so you won't stand a chance with less than that.  It's been like that for years.

Points aren't so important for the 190 visa so that's the one to look at.

However the most important thing is, have a consultation with a good migration agent ASAP to find out if you stand a chance.  As you say, you don't have time to muck around. The consultation will cost money but in the scheme of things, their fees will be a drop in the bucket. Try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda.

5 hours ago, GasManJamie said:

Hi mate, 

Yes I have looked at that one, looks like 65 points min and I think I scored 55 or something without the English test so I may scrape by. Is the IELTS the only recognised test for this visa as I see they’re other tests for proficient English rather that superior?

There is also PTE, I did the IELTS and got the score I needed easy enough. Do some practice papers first though and atleast you can see what will happen on the day.

As Marisa has said though it's definitely worth getting an assessment done by an agent just to makesure that it is all achievable.

It isn't cheap.

Agent will be around 2.5k GBP

Visas around 5k gbp

Assessments/Tests/Meds around 2.5k GBP

Right now 4 one way flights won't get you much change out of 4k GBP

An Airbnb type rental on arrival is probably around £500 a week and food/exploration about the same per week

Cars expensive, we bought one new and it was $35k plus another $1.5k insurance

Then when you do find a property to rent you won't get much below $600 per week that will fit 4 people so you will need $3,600 to move in (deposit and 2 weeks in advance)

There are many other costs (everyone wants some cash from you for something) but these are some of the more common ones

I also did PTE so much easier than IELTS and more availability of testing locations and dates