Coronavirus and Temporary Visa holders

Raul Senise

Alan Tudge MP, Acting Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs issued a media release over the weekend detailing the Government response for temporary visa holders in Australia during the current Coronavirus emergency.

The official media release can be viewed here.

Some of the key points from the media release:

Temporary visa holders who are unable to support themselves under these arrangements over the next six months are strongly encouraged to return home. 

Students who have been here longer than 12 months who find themselves in financial hardship will be able to access their Australian superannuation.

Temporary Skilled visa holders who have been stood down, but not laid off, will maintain their visa validity and businesses will have the opportunity to extend their visa as per normal arrangements.  Businesses will also be able to reduce the hours of the visa holder without the person being in breach of their visa condition. These visa holders will also be able to access up to $10,000 of their superannuation this financial year.

Working holiday makers who are working in critical sectors will be exempt from the six month work limitation with the one employer and eligible for a further visa to keep working in these critical sectors if their current visa is due to expire in the next six months.

• Like 4

Hi Raul 

thanks for the information 🙏

What about those who are 457 holders and they have  applied for 186 trt Restaurant managers Nomination has been approved is our visa still processing??

Our business is closed temporarily I’m stoud down

Thanks in advance

Hi Paul,

There doesn't seem to be any specific advice for 489 visa holders yet. I know we're classed as temporary but all the previously released government information about temporary skilled visas appears to be aimed towards those with employer sponsorship and what happens if you lose your job.

If we lose our jobs, there are no clauses about leaving the country if we can't find another one. The main downside, besides the lack of money, will be that it will potentially take longer to get the one year of full-time working requirement in order to apply for the 887.

Do you expect there to be any official guidance around 489s or are we just in the "get out and go home" category if we lose our jobs?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Raul Senise said:

There is no official word from the Government in this regard.

We are hoping that a reasonable approach will be adopted, as these positions will still be needed once things settle down.

Processing of 186 applications seems to have slowed considerably.

Thanks!!

Regarding early access to super, how would you guys interpret the comments in bold? That it’s available to all temporary visa holders or just those that have been stood down.

Thanks

Temporary Skilled visa holders 

There are around 139,000 temporary skilled visa holders, on either a 2 year or 4 year visa.  They were provided the visa to fill a skills shortage – a shortage that may still be present when the crisis has passed. 

Consequently, those visa holders who have been stood down, but not laid off, will maintain their visa validity and businesses will have the opportunity to extend their visa as per normal arrangements.  Businesses will also be able to reduce the hours of the visa holder without the person being in breach of their visa condition. 

These visa holders will also be able to access up to $10,000 of their superannuation this financial year.

Those visa holders who have been laid off due to coronavirus should leave the country in line with existing visa conditions if they are unable to secure a new sponsor...

1 hour ago, GeeBee said:

Regarding early access to super, how would you guys interpret the comments in bold? That it’s available to all temporary visa holders or just those that have been stood down.

Thanks

Temporary Skilled visa holders 

There are around 139,000 temporary skilled visa holders, on either a 2 year or 4 year visa.  They were provided the visa to fill a skills shortage – a shortage that may still be present when the crisis has passed. 

Consequently, those visa holders who have been stood down, but not laid off, will maintain their visa validity and businesses will have the opportunity to extend their visa as per normal arrangements.  Businesses will also be able to reduce the hours of the visa holder without the person being in breach of their visa condition. 

These visa holders will also be able to access up to $10,000 of their superannuation this financial year.

Those visa holders who have been laid off due to coronavirus should leave the country in line with existing visa conditions if they are unable to secure a new sponsor...

its for those who have been stood down. Same as everyone else, not everyone can claim their super, only those in difficulties. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 13/04/2020 at 10:53, Ricck2134 said:

anyone got any idea about initial entry date of visa 309? what if you couldnt enter coz of Virus?

We are just going to wait and see how things go this year, initial entry date is 3rd Feb 2021 on 309/100.  We really had hoped to move this year but can't see it happening realistically as we have to sell our home and 2 cars, the virus has really messed everything up.  Will keep watching the dollar and uk house prices to see how things go.

I expect alot of other people waiting to move are doing the same thing.

We are lucky enough to be able to stay with my brother when we eventually arrive, so that will be a huge help to us.

Good luck for the future.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Having some real issues getting my partner back to Australia. Exceptions have been rejected. Attempted four times now, sending proof of relationship and lease etc.  She had to go back to Taiwan for a family emergency.

Does anyone have any idea when I could leave the country (and come back) to see her? I am currently on a TSS 482 visa. 

Its been 5 months now since I saw her last. 

2 hours ago, Reece said:

Hi Guys,

Having some real issues getting my partner back to Australia. Exceptions have been rejected. Attempted four times now, sending proof of relationship and lease etc.  She had to go back to Taiwan for a family emergency.

Does anyone have any idea when I could leave the country (and come back) to see her? I am currently on a TSS 482 visa. 

Its been 5 months now since I saw her last. 

If you leave the country you won’t be able to return until restrictions are lifted. That won’t happen till January at the earliest and could be longer

• 2 weeks later...

They will allow students in before anyone else because the International Student industry is a cash cow which the Government does not want to jeopardize. 

It is grossly unfair considering the number of long term visa holders stuck outside and not allowed to re enter Australia.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Any News on 489 visa holder allowed to travel Australia? and make first entry? 

What if the visa holder are have sufficient fund to support themselves for some time and look for job simultaneously. I suppose govt should allow now at least the criteria of living in region for 2 year is fulfilled by those who lost 1 year due to COVID and cannot make entry yet.

This situation where you have everything ready but cannot travel brings different thoughts and a lot might drop plan on moving to Aus and look for other options. 

• 2 weeks later...