Sydneysiders laid back life style

Bret

Sydneysiders' laid back lifestyle is famous worldwide, and I keep exploring what is it after moved here. And I eventually understand it from the Crowd at the Bondi beach about 2 weeks ago. For sure, this lifestyle does contribute a lot to mental health.

Bondi during Covid19.jpg

51 minutes ago, Bret said:

I mean flouting social distance rules during this special period:)

I get that but I didn't get the relationship between stupidity and laidback-ness. I believe a lot of people on the beach were backpackers and tourists.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

Sydney laid back?  I don't think so. Too busy chasing the almighty dollar for my liking. Mind you I'm in Melbourne so a bit biased.

I have worked hard all my working life so Sydney was no different to any other place I've worked.  I enjoyed living there even though I'm not a city person.  We lived in a nice area and our boys played with all the other neighbours' kids when they were growing up.  We seemed to have plenty of time for leisure activities and I never felt stressed.  Sydney is probably one of those places you either love or you hate.   

• Like 3

For better or worse, I've got used to it , and now I'm almost completely retired and staying largely within the confines of my own 'burb, Surry Hills it's almost living in a village.

There is nothing laid back about Bondi but other beaches like Clovelly and Bronte can be laid back especially in the late arvo / early evenings when I like to swim.

I've been pondering where I should live - continue here in Surry Hills where I have my local cafes, pubs, restaurants, or maybe move out Camden way to be closer to my brother and his family. My other brother is presently seeing out the virus in Surfers Paradise and had it not been for the closed borders I might have joined him. He is in the Hilton apartments right in the middle of Surfers and I've stayed there so do not mind it.

I've got a friend in Perth who suggested I move out there and become her neighbour which is also  something to think about. I like Perth and it's certainly more laid back than Sydneybut tjhe border is also closed off into WA (I think) so no going there for a holiday either.

31 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

For better or worse, I've got used to it , and now I'm almost completely retired and staying largely within the confines of my own 'burb, Surry Hills it's almost living in a village.

There is nothing laid back about Bondi but other beaches like Clovelly and Bronte can be laid back especially in the late arvo / early evenings when I like to swim.

I've been pondering where I should live - continue here in Surry Hills where I have my local cafes, pubs, restaurants, or maybe move out Camden way to be closer to my brother and his family. My other brother is presently seeing out the virus in Surfers Paradise and had it not been for the closed borders I might have joined him. He is in the Hilton apartments right in the middle of Surfers and I've stayed there so do not mind it.

I've got a friend in Perth who suggested I move out there and become her neighbour which is also  something to think about. I like Perth and it's certainly more laid back than Sydneybut tjhe border is also closed off into WA (I think) so no going there for a holiday either.

Good to hear from you M R hope you are ok xM

22 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I've been pondering where I should live - continue here in Surry Hills where I have my local cafes, pubs, restaurants, or maybe move out Camden way ...

I've got a friend in Perth who suggested I move out there and become her neighbour 

I'm sure this lockdown will make a few people rethink their retirement plans.

For some years now, I've been wondering about moving to Hobart, because it's the one capital city where we could afford to own a reasonably nice home.  My oh has resisted because he's always been worried about being bored, since (being a smaller city) there aren't as many cultural activities there compared to Melbourne or Sydney.   

The lockdown is making us both realise that we're not having to give up as much as we thought during this time.  Although we used to be out every night at classes or dance parties, concerts and performances, we've already slowed down a lot.  Nowadays we're more likely to be out during the day at U3A activities and the like.  We weren't taking advantage of a fraction of Melbourne's nightlife now, so losing it wouldn't be much of a loss.  

I worked in Sydney for a year. Worked at AMP on circular quay. Stayed in Potts Point. Unbelievable to think you were a couple of k from the CBD. I walked to work through the Botanic Gardens. I went for walks along the bay. Took a ferry to Taronga and walked around the headland. Came across bays and beaches with hardly anybody around. Or bus to Bondi and walk to Bronte and up along the heads. Something always going on, or easy to get some peace and quiet. Took a train $10 return to Katoomba and three sisters. 

I loved it there, wanted to move for a couple of years. Wife hated it !

18 hours ago, davlap said:

I worked in Sydney for a year. Worked at AMP on circular quay. Stayed in Potts Point. Unbelievable to think you were a couple of k from the CBD. I walked to work through the Botanic Gardens. I went for walks along the bay. Took a ferry to Taronga and walked around the headland. Came across bays and beaches with hardly anybody around. Or bus to Bondi and walk to Bronte and up along the heads. Something always going on, or easy to get some peace and quiet. Took a train $10 return to Katoomba and three sisters. 

I loved it there, wanted to move for a couple of years. Wife hated it !

Sydney is gorgeous if you can live close to the city.   I started out in the Eastern Suburbs - astonishing to think I could afford it then, how things have changed!    

On 12/04/2020 at 13:50, Marisawright said:

I'm sure this lockdown will make a few people rethink their retirement plans.

For some years now, I've been wondering about moving to Hobart, because it's the one capital city where we could afford to own a reasonably nice home.  My oh has resisted because he's always been worried about being bored, since (being a smaller city) there aren't as many cultural activities there compared to Melbourne or Sydney.   

The lockdown is making us both realise that we're not having to give up as much as we thought during this time.  Although we used to be out every night at classes or dance parties, concerts and performances, we've already slowed down a lot.  Nowadays we're more likely to be out during the day at U3A activities and the like.  We weren't taking advantage of a fraction of Melbourne's nightlife now, so losing it wouldn't be much of a loss.  

Three of my good Sydney friends and their husbands have recently moved to Tasmania.  Two of them are on the north west coast and the other way down south in Dover.  They all love it here.  They have visited often so pretty well knew what it was like.  If you are a shopaholic you will miss out on that experience.  It doesn't bother me one bit as I regard trailing round shops a huge waste of time.  Hobart will have quite a bit more going for it than we have here.  I am happy enough going to our local theatre, cinema and U3A activities.  Unfortunately due to lockdown that's not happening nor are my voluntary jobs which I really miss.  I am more of a countryside, outdoors person so life here suits me down to the ground.

It's definitely worth thinking about Marisa.

• Like 2