491 family Sponsorship WA

Hi all, 

I am coming to the end of my professional ACA exams in the UK and I plan (or rather hope 😊) to be a chartered accountant in September 2020. 

Its been a long term goal of mine  immigrate to Australia when I qualify. Unfortunately, the 189/190 routes seems to be out of the question for "221213 - External Auditors" given the invitation rounds in the 90-95 point range. 

I have basically have two options:

1. I can transfer with my current firm to the Western Australia office, where they arrange a 482 visa and, if all goes well, I can then apply for PR after 3 years with that same employer. 

2. My fiance (we should be married shortly after I qualify if Covid 19 doesn't get in the way) has an uncle in WA who could sponsor us on the 491. This option is appealing to me as option 1 ties my visa to my employer (not sure that's a healthy power balance). I was hoping you could help me answer the following:

- Is an uncle in law an appropriate family member for 491 sponsorship? If so, would it also count for defacto relationships i.e. Before were married? Or woukd we have to wait until married to submit An EOI. 

- Can I still apply for family Sponsorship even though 221213 isn't on the WA state sponsorship occupation list? 

- I imagine most jobs for auditors and accountants will be in and around Perth, but am I right in thinking we won't be allowed to work/live in Perth as its one of the excluded regions? 

With the 15 points of family Sponsorship I would have 95 points on the 491 visa. 

Note: I understand that both routes to PR assume that 221213 is on the skilled list at the end of the three years. 

Thanks for reading and it'd be great to hear what you guys think.. 

Cheers, 

Archimedes

5 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Hi all, 

I am coming to the end of my professional ACA exams in the UK and I plan (or rather hope 😊) to be a chartered accountant in September 2020. 

Its been a long term goal of mine  immigrate to Australia when I qualify. Unfortunately, the 189/190 routes seems to be out of the question for "221213 - External Auditors" given the invitation rounds in the 90-95 point range. 

I have basically have two options:

1. I can transfer with my current firm to the Western Australia office, where they arrange a 482 visa and, if all goes well, I can then apply for PR after 3 years with that same employer. 

2. My fiance (we should be married shortly after I qualify if Covid 19 doesn't get in the way) has an uncle in WA who could sponsor us on the 491. This option is appealing to me as option 1 ties my visa to my employer (not sure that's a healthy power balance). I was hoping you could help me answer the following:

- Is an uncle in law an appropriate family member for 491 sponsorship? If so, would it also count for defacto relationships i.e. Before were married? Or woukd we have to wait until married to submit An EOI. 

- Can I still apply for family Sponsorship even though 221213 isn't on the WA state sponsorship occupation list? 

- I imagine most jobs for auditors and accountants will be in and around Perth, but am I right in thinking we won't be allowed to work/live in Perth as its one of the excluded regions? 

With the 15 points of family Sponsorship I would have 95 points on the 491 visa. 

Note: I understand that both routes to PR assume that 221213 is on the skilled list at the end of the three years. 

Thanks for reading and it'd be great to hear what you guys think.. 

Cheers, 

Archimedes

A sponsor must be:

• 18 years old or older
  • usually resident in a designated area of Australia
  • be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen
  • be your or your partner’s eligible relative

An eligible relative can be:

• a parent
  • a child or step-child
  • a brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, step-brother or step-sister
  • an aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle, step-aunt or step-uncle
  • a nephew, niece, adoptive nephew, adoptive niece, step-nephew or step-niece
  • a grandparent, or
  • a first cousin

Sponsorship must be approved before you can be granted a visa.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Toots said:

A sponsor must be:

• 18 years old or older
  • be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen
  • be your or your partner’s eligible relative

An eligible relative can be:

• a parent
  • a child or step-child
  • a brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, step-brother or step-sister
  • an aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle, step-aunt or step-uncle
  • a nephew, niece, adoptive nephew, adoptive niece, step-nephew or step-niece
  • a grandparent, or
  • a first cousin

Sponsorship must be approved before you can be granted a visa.

Thank you for clarifying that, Toots. 

Do you, or anyone else reading this, happen to know what the commitment is from the sponsor? I'm struggling to find this information online. We're going to raise the question to the uncle in WA but we want to be armed with the facts first. 

Also, does anyone know whether what the chances of WA/DOHA are of accepting my family sponsor application with 95 points if my job isn't on WA's state sponsorship list? 

Thanks again for the time and stay safe one and all! 

Edited by Archimedes

Did you read the list properly? The uncle has to be YOUR uncle. To use your partners uncle, she would have to be the main applicant. 

As for points, yes, 95 would get you a visa. But, are you sure you have 95 as your work experience will only be counted from the day you are fully qualified and if you are including points for English, they need to be done by taking an English exam such as ILETS. 

My advice would be to speak to a good registered migration agent. Remember, if you over claim a single point, you get a refusal, loss of the fee and potentially even a ban on reapplying 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Did you read the list properly? The uncle has to be YOUR uncle. To use your partners uncle, she would have to be the main applicant. 

As for points, yes, 95 would get you a visa. But, are you sure you have 95 as your work experience will only be counted from the day you are fully qualified and if you are including points for English, they need to be done by taking an English exam such as ILETS. 

My advice would be to speak to a good registered migration agent. Remember, if you over claim a single point, you get a refusal, loss of the fee and potentially even a ban on reapplying 

Thank you for your reply. 

I am confused why you think it has to be my relative? The list provided by Toots states:

"A sponsor must be:

• 18 years old or older
  • be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen
  • be your or your partner’s eligible relative" 

Am I missing something? 

Anyway, I think you're right about getting professional advice and I have reached out to some migration agents online. I am finding it difficult to find anything on what providing sponsorship actually means for the sponsor. 

Again, thanks for the reply. 

12 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Thank you for clarifying that, Toots. 

Do you, or anyone else reading this, happen to know what the commitment is from the sponsor? I'm struggling to find this information online. We're going to raise the question to the uncle in WA but we want to be armed with the facts first. 

Also, does anyone know whether what the chances of WA/DOHA are of accepting my family sponsor application with 95 points if my job isn't on WA's state sponsorship list? 

Thanks again for the time and stay safe one and all! 

This is the only piece of information I could find.  You really need to talk to a migration agent and make sure the agent is registered with MARA as there are a lot of cowboys out there.

What rights do Australian citizens and permanent residents have to bring relatives to live in Australia?

Australian citizens and permanent residents do not have an absolute right to bring any relative to live in Australia. Even legally married spouses and dependent children must meet all the requirements for migration before they can come to Australia. The intended visa applicant and all of his/her family members AND the sponsor must meet a range of legal requirements before a visa can be obtained.

Prior to commencing the process of sponsoring family members, it is important that you secure proper advice in order to ensure that the most appropriate and beneficial visa is applied for. This is particularly important where complex family relationships, previous marriages or previous sponsorships are an issue. Many of the problems that arise with Family Stream Visa applications can be avoided if proper advice is sought before proceeding with an application. In some cases, such advice may need to include advice on family law issues as well as migration issues.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Toots said:

This is the only piece of information I could find.  You really need to talk to a migration agent and make sure the agent is registered with MARA as there are a lot of cowboys out there.

What rights do Australian citizens and permanent residents have to bring relatives to live in Australia?

Australian citizens and permanent residents do not have an absolute right to bring any relative to live in Australia. Even legally married spouses and dependent children must meet all the requirements for migration before they can come to Australia. The intended visa applicant and all of his/her family members AND the sponsor must meet a range of legal requirements before a visa can be obtained.

Prior to commencing the process of sponsoring family members, it is important that you secure proper advice in order to ensure that the most appropriate and beneficial visa is applied for. This is particularly important where complex family relationships, previous marriages or previous sponsorships are an issue. Many of the problems that arise with Family Stream Visa applications can be avoided if proper advice is sought before proceeding with an application. In some cases, such advice may need to include advice on family law issues as well as migration issues.

Thanks again, Toots. 

I've contacted some migration agencies online so hopefully I'll hear something back this week. 

With that in mind, can you recommend any agencies? My current selection method is Google followed by TrustPilot which is not ideal. 

I'll update this post on the commitments from the sponsor once I know for future reference. 

Cheers 

55 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Thanks again, Toots. 

I've contacted some migration agencies online so hopefully I'll hear something back this week. 

With that in mind, can you recommend any agencies? My current selection method is Google followed by TrustPilot which is not ideal. 

I'll update this post on the commitments from the sponsor once I know for future reference. 

Cheers 

Two migration agents on this forum you could contact are @wrussell and @paulhand.

1 hour ago, Archimedes said:

Thanks again, Toots. 

Cheers 

Go Matilda, highly recommend