Exemption to Travel from Australia

TessD

Hi everyone,  

We are mid-way through our move back to UK, I'm already here and husband is in Melbourne where our house is due to settle tomorrow (Fri). He has a one-way flight booked to leave Australia on Sunday but we still have not received the exemption allowing him to depart.  This was applied for via the website a week ago and still no word.  He's got all the supporting documentation with him as to why he needs to depart.  Should he just turn up to the airport on Sunday? He's a dual national (Brit/Oz).

Thank you.

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Are they allowing planes out of Melbourne?  I thought they had all stopped.

Australia isn't stopping foreigners leaving, only people arriving.

I'm actually surprised that the UK doesn't have a stricter travel ban in place.  The UK is an island, after all - they could easily have followed Australia's and New Zealand's example but they haven't. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

My husband doesn’t fall into the category of ‘ordinarily resident in another country’ so was advised to obtain an exemption. Melbourne airport also has a notification on their page to say that travel from Australia without exemption is not permitted. Very confusing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/04/2020 at 19:26, TessD said:

My husband doesn’t fall into the category of ‘ordinarily resident in another country’ so was advised to obtain an exemption. Melbourne airport also has a notification on their page to say that travel from Australia without exemption is not permitted. Very confusing. 

Is he a British Citizen ? I doubt he will have any issue travelling to a country where he is a citizen.

Hi Parley, my husband was denied leave to depart Australia on Sunday 5 April due to not having an exemption regardless of a one way ticket and relocation to uk as a British citizen. ABF officers were at the check in desks to check on exemptions.  We had to send an urgent email to the crisis management team at Home Affairs and they responded to the original exemption request sent 9 days earlier within 30 mins, this was at 8pm. He was then able to board his flight and only just made it. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly, I'm a DUAL citizen (British & Australian) - my parents made me an "Australian" when I was too young to make up my own mind and too young to sign the citizenship document. Anyway, my old Australian passport has expired, but I have a current British passport and want to PERMANENTLY return to my homeland in England asap NEVER to return to convict Australia. I find it hard to believe that the fact that a person is a DUAL having an Australian citizenship some how CANCELS the rights of a British citizen with a British passport to PERMANENTLY return to the land of their birth. I have a British mobile number, but no Australian mobile number. I also have a National Insurance Number which allows me to be taxed correctly in the UK as a paid worker and also allows me to vote, but I'm not on the Electoral Roll in Australia. I also have a HSBC British bank account in Guildford, Surrey where I previously lived. Should I write to Peter Dutton or should I just apply for a stupid extension - any thoughts??

30 minutes ago, Alex57 said:

I find it hard to believe that the fact that a person is a DUAL having an Australian citizenship some how CANCELS the rights of a British citizen with a British passport to PERMANENTLY return to the land of their birth. 

It doesn't. Your right as a UK citizen to enter the UK isn't affected by Australian law.  But as an Australian resident (whether you're a citizen or not), you are limited in your rights to leave the  country right now. 

There are plenty of laws which are based on where you are RESIDENT rather than whether you are a CITIZEN.   Investments and tax are just two examples.  This is another one.

Apply for the exemption.

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, Alex57 said:

Sadly, I'm a DUAL citizen (British & Australian) - my parents made me an "Australian" when I was too young to make up my own mind and too young to sign the citizenship document. Anyway, my old Australian passport has expired, but I have a current British passport and want to PERMANENTLY return to my homeland in England asap NEVER to return to convict Australia. I find it hard to believe that the fact that a person is a DUAL having an Australian citizenship some how CANCELS the rights of a British citizen with a British passport to PERMANENTLY return to the land of their birth. I have a British mobile number, but no Australian mobile number. I also have a National Insurance Number which allows me to be taxed correctly in the UK as a paid worker and also allows me to vote, but I'm not on the Electoral Roll in Australia. I also have a HSBC British bank account in Guildford, Surrey where I previously lived. Should I write to Peter Dutton or should I just apply for a stupid extension - any thoughts??

If you wish to return home not only will you have to apply for an exemption, I regret to tell you that you will need to get your Aus passport renewed as well (insult to injury huh?!) as  Australian citizens must enter and leave on Australian passports. You should be fine though.

Definitely apply for an exemption. Border control will not let you past check in at the airport. We couldn’t believe it either. No one without a compelling reason is permitted to leave. My advice is to apply for your exemption ASAP. 

33 minutes ago, TessD said:

Definitely apply for an exemption. Border control will not let you past check in at the airport. We couldn’t believe it either. No one without a compelling reason is permitted to leave. My advice is to apply for your exemption ASAP. 

The reason is simple. If they let citizens and residents leave without a compelling reason, people would go for a short visit overseas and then come back, bringing Coronavirus with them. It’s true they go into quarantine when they get back, but currently that’s paid for by the govt so it’s an unnecessary expense.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Parley said:

What constitutes a compelling reason ?

Good question.  

If you meet the following criteria you do not need to apply for an exemption:

• people ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia
  • people whose travel is associated with essential work at offshore facilities
  • people engaged in the day to day conduct of outbound and inbound freight
  • people travelling on official Government business (including members of the Australian Defence Force (ADF))
  • airline and maritime crew and associated safety workers

Exemptions will be assessed on a case-by-case basis for those who meet the criteria listed below: 

• People whose travel is as part of the response to the COVID-19 outbreak, including the provision of aid
  • People whose travel is essential for the conduct of critical industries and business (including export and import industries)
  • People who are travelling to receive urgent medical treatment that is not available in Australia.
  • People who are travelling on urgent and unavoidable personal business.
  • On compassionate or humanitarian grounds
  • Where the travel is in the national interest

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tess D....hoping all went well and your OH made it back to the UK. Can I ask were you able to get a insurance policy for the one way trip?? if so who with?! really struggling to find a company offering any cover. We are residents but also re-emigrating home. Our container has already arrived ! Our flights were cancelled 3 days previous (March 18th) to leaving.

Any heads up of companies would be so helpful...looking to fly on July 28th, with the exemption in place. 

Cheers