Move cube feedback

Quoll

Our move cube arrived today and I have to say it was an absolutely excellent service from Seven Seas. The whole process was well managed from pre-pick up pack and site check, through collection (on time, friendly and helpful driver) to tracking (picture of the ship and its journey) via several calls to a 24/7 on the ball customer service then delivery with customs and quarantine, site check and an on time (to the minute) friendly and helpful driver. All this through the C19 restrictions which have added protocols left, right and centre. Sure it cost money but we figure we got excellent value for it!  Our large cube was plenty big enough for our needs and we could have put in a couple of things we had considered but in the end didn't take (slight regret!).  

Thanks too to some members on here who gave immensely valuable tips.  My DH did pretty much all of it especially labelling each box with contents and weight and keeping a spread sheet with basic contents and weight of each numbered box. The DH did all the work with Seven Seas and he's a hard man to impress but he's impressed! 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Hi Quoll, I cannot believe nobody replied to your post! What is it called "lese majestie?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lèse-majesté

It is actually of some interest to me if I ever get my act together and ship the personal effects which I stored in my loft twelve years ago. The only problem is I don't want to go home to do it so need organize a company to get into my house (with approval of tenant) and ship the stuff out to OZ. It could be a New Year's resolution.

2 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Hi Quoll, I cannot believe nobody replied to your post! What is it called "lese majestie?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lèse-majesté

It is actually of some interest to me if I ever get my act together and ship the personal effects which I stored in my loft twelve years ago. The only problem is I don't want to go home to do it so need organize a company to get into my house (with approval of tenant) and ship the stuff out to OZ. It could be a New Year's resolution.

Thanks MR, didnt really need a reply but just in case anyone was wondering about MoveCubes. No idea how you get someone else to do it for you though - the process does take a little while because you do have to pack it all yourself and list everything in each box and submit your official forms to them before they pick up iirc. Next time it'll be Gumtree, Freecycle and a big skip!!!

Yes, I'm sure I need a big skip really too. But as I cannot go/ don't want to go back to the UK, I thought easier and cheaper just to get someone to ship it out here and I can go through it with my brothers. I suppose I do have a feeling of throwing away my parents?!

Before I left the UK I got rid of the furniture but put some personal effects in the loft, much of it being stuff I cannot remember now. I have made a number of "mistakes", due to dithering/nostalgia/ sentimentality.

After my father died I should have sold the house and split the proceeds with my brothers rather than buying it myself and paying them out. I was still living in the house and not sure of my plans. The same when I did leave the UK, I was thinking I might go back again to pick up my job.

And before I left Australia to go back to the UK in 1996/1997 I should perhaps have got rid of more stuff instead of storing it in the garage, where some of it is still there now.

Now, up on the Gold Coast, I'm wondering what to do with my flat and personal effects in Sydney!

4 hours ago, kimboslice said:

When it states no liquid, what does that mean.

I’m assuming no liquid. We certainly didn’t pack any at all - more for fear of it breaking and ruining stuff. We didn’t bring the wine cellar, sparse as it was - my son was very happy about that because he inherited it! Didn’t put cosmetics or anything edible in the cube at all. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ordered multiple MoveCubes for their move? The online quote system only lets you get a quote for one cube, so I wondered if it was more cost effective when ordering multiple cubes, or do they just charge you the same for each cube? 

• 2 months later...

Hi all. Looking for some insight into move cubes. We have a three bedroom house we are looking to transport the contents of from the Uk to Brisbane. One the seven seas website, it seems to suggest that 1 large move cube is all that is required for a house of that size, however the picture of the box has me confused as to whether this is actually possible as it looks a little on the small side? Has anyone shipped a three bedroom house with seven seas and if so how many move cubes did you do it with? Many thanks in advance! 

51 minutes ago, returningtooz said:

Hi all. Looking for some insight into move cubes. We have a three bedroom house we are looking to transport the contents of from the Uk to Brisbane. One the seven seas website, it seems to suggest that 1 large move cube is all that is required for a house of that size, however the picture of the box has me confused as to whether this is actually possible as it looks a little on the small side? Has anyone shipped a three bedroom house with seven seas and if so how many move cubes did you do it with? Many thanks in advance! 

If you’re transporting the furniture and all then I would say it would be very tight unless everything was flat packed. Shove in a couple of beds, dining set and a 3 piece suite I’d  think it would be full to overflowing! We had about 80 items - mainly in medium/large removal boxes but they definitely varied in size from a bike box to DH’s tool box..  We measured out the volume in the dining room then piled our stuff up in the 3 dimensional space we taped out.  In the end we actually fitted more into the actual cube than we appeared to have in our test space and we did have a bit more room to play with but we wouldn’t have got a 3 piece suite and beds in there too - we didn’t need to take furniture at all.

43C8935A-0DC0-4335-A8AA-608A9EAA4EE6.jpegEdited to say, looks like I did put perfume in there but as I use so little I am surprised that I did! DH did the labelling, with weights and put anything potentially contentious at the back for easy inspection. 

Edited by Quoll
  • Thanks 1

On 09/01/2021 at 01:18, bicek said:

Has anyone ordered multiple MoveCubes for their move? The online quote system only lets you get a quote for one cube, so I wondered if it was more cost effective when ordering multiple cubes, or do they just charge you the same for each cube? 

@bicek, I just realised no one replied.  The following combos can be delivered on one visit so it's cheaper than booking them separately because you save on delivery costs.

These are the different combinations that can be delivered in our vehicles on one visit to your address:

1 Small MoveCube                                                          (Total volume = 2.01 cubic metres = 71 cubic feet)

1 Medium MoveCube                                                    (Total volume = 3.05 cubic metres = 107 cubic feet)

1 Large MoveCube                                                          (Total volume = 6.20 cubic metres = 219 cubic feet)

2 Small MoveCubes                                                        (Total volume = 4.02 cubic metres = 142 cubic feet)

2 Medium MoveCubes                                                  (Total volume = 6.10 cubic metres = 214 cubic feet)

2 Large MoveCubes                                                        (Total volume = 12.4 cubic metres = 438 cubic feet)

1 Medium MoveCube and 1 Small MoveCube     (Total volume = 5.06 cubic metres = 178 cubic feet)

1 Large MoveCube and 1 Small MoveCube           (Total volume = 8.21 cubic metres = 290 cubic feet)

1 Large MoveCube and 1 Medium MoveCube     (Total volume = 9.25 cubic metres = 326 cubic feet)

3 Small MoveCubes                                                        (Total volume = 6.03 cubic metres = 213 cubic feet)

All other combinations of MoveCube sizes are subject to the vehicles weight limitations of the specific origin and destination country.

Edited by Marisawright

2 hours ago, returningtooz said:

Hi all. Looking for some insight into move cubes. We have a three bedroom house we are looking to transport the contents of from the Uk to Brisbane. One the seven seas website, it seems to suggest that 1 large move cube is all that is required for a house of that size

The dimensions of the largest Movecube are roughly 1.8m x 1.5m x length 2.2m.   Try marking that out on your floor, and mark the height on the wall.  You're not going to fit your whole house in that!   I think they mean you can ship by booking multiple Movecubes - but that's misleading.

For instance, when we were thinking of using a Movecube, we measured up our sofa and our queen bed and realised that although they would fit in a cube, the shape that was left would be so awkward that we couldn't use the space for much else.   I'd think if you want to use the Movecube system, you have to leave your really large pieces of furniture behind.

If you are going to use a Movecube, then there's no substitute for what Quoll did:  you need to set aside a space in your house and do a test pack before the cube arrives.  You only have a day to pack it so you need to know exactly what you're packing beforehand.

3 hours ago, Quoll said:

If you’re transporting the furniture and all then I would say it would be very tight unless everything was flat packed. Shove in a couple of beds, dining set and a 3 piece suite I’d  think it would be full to overflowing! We had about 80 items - mainly in medium/large removal boxes but they definitely varied in size from a bike box to DH’s tool box..  We measured out the volume in the dining room then piled our stuff up in the 3 dimensional space we taped out.  In the end we actually fitted more into the actual cube than we appeared to have in our test space and we did have a bit more room to play with but we wouldn’t have got a 3 piece suite and beds in there too - we didn’t need to take furniture at all.

43C8935A-0DC0-4335-A8AA-608A9EAA4EE6.jpegEdited to say, looks like I did put perfume in there but as I use so little I am surprised that I did! DH did the labelling, with weights and put anything potentially contentious at the back for easy inspection. 

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

The dimensions of the largest Movecube are roughly 1.8m x 1.5m x length 2.2m.   Try marking that out on your floor, and mark the height on the wall.  You're not going to fit your whole house in that!   I think they mean you can ship by booking multiple Movecubes - but that's misleading.

For instance, when we were thinking of using a Movecube, we measured up our sofa and our queen bed and realised that although they would fit in a cube, the shape that was left would be so awkward that we couldn't use the space for much else.   I'd think if you want to use the Movecube system, you have to leave your really large pieces of furniture behind.

If you are going to use a Movecube, then there's no substitute for what Quoll did:  you need to set aside a space in your house and do a test pack before the cube arrives.  You only have a day to pack it so you need to know exactly what you're packing beforehand.

There's a severe lack of Dad holiday boot packing skills here! You could easily have got Marisa's bed and sofa in that 1/3 full cube!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrDougster said:

There's a severe lack of Dad holiday boot packing skills here! You could easily have got Marisa's bed and sofa in that 1/3 full cube!

LOL closer to 2/3 full really and we could have got the dryer and the freezer in quite easily but had decided it probably wasnt going to be worth the effort. We were surprised that it fitted so easily as our mock up led us to believe we would be closer.  I think the bike went in after that pic though.

39 minutes ago, J9London said:

For those that have successfully used the Move Cube, how in depth does the inventory need to be? Do Seven Seas give you any form of guidance? Where did you procure the packing supplies from?
Thanks in advance! 

Seven Seas gave us a starter pack with a few boxes and bags for tvs etc.  Got most of the rest of our boxes from the local Storage King and they were fine - medium size for management purposes.  We also had a number of boxes of books and many of them we put into plastic boxes that we got from Dunhelm or similar and most of which had been used for storing stuff we weren't using.  For inventory you can put down categories eg "dining service" "winter clothing" "books" "children's games" etc.  My DH wrote on the outside of all the boxes the key things that were in them and on the inventory form he basically repeated that. He numbered and weighed every item and put item number and weight twice on the boxes - front and back.  There were a couple of items we thought might be contentious so we labelled them clearly and made a point of identifying them on the inventory.

Thanks for the replies. Our house sale has fallen through so we have more time now to decide on how we ship our house contents. It was the inventory and documentation which was concerning us using the Move Cube where as the removal companies do all that for you and sort all the customs stuff for the other end. 

5 minutes ago, J9London said:

Thanks for the replies. Our house sale has fallen through so we have more time now to decide on how we ship our house contents. It was the inventory and documentation which was concerning us using the Move Cube where as the removal companies do all that for you and sort all the customs stuff for the other end. 

Movecube sorts all the Customs stuff at the other end, just like any removal company.   As for the inventory, if you self-packed any container, you'd have to do your own inventory.  Quoll described how to do it.  

Edited by Marisawright

So it sounds like move cube may not be the best option for us as we have furniture we would like to take. Does anyone have any other recommendations for companies and could give an indication as to what sort of costs were involved? Thanks so much. These forums are proving invaluable in our preps! 

@returningtooz, you have a wide choice of international removalists.  You'll find all of them have good and bad reviews.  The problem is that there isn't a company which can handle your shipment all the way from one end to the other, it get handed off to various sub-contractors along the way.  

If you've got a whole 3 bedroom house including most of the furniture, then you may need a 20 foot container all to yourself. This is obviously the most expensive option (unless you need a 40 ft container, LOL), but it is the most secure and quickest (if you can call any shipping "quick").   

If you have less than a full container, you can share a container with others.  This will be slower, because the container won't ship till its full, so you might be waiting for other people's orders before it will start its journey.  Your belongings are divided from everyone else's but things do get mixed up sometimes, so there's a higher risk of stuff going missing too.  But obviously you're saving money compared to a full container.

When deciding what to bring, a good exercise is to do a trial shop in Australian stores, to see what it would cost to replace what you leave behind.  Harvey Norman, Ikea, Peters of Kensington, Appliances Online all have websites where you can do that.