Where do I start?

nursepom2001

Hi at 48 am I too old to apply for a working visa? I’m an emergency department sister a registered nurse with 20 years nursing experience. I have a 15 year old daughter who will finish school next year and we hope to try and work and live in NSW  (me work/her college) where do I start? And am I too old?  Do I need an immigration agency? Thank you in advance x

13 hours ago, nursepom2001 said:

Thought I’d read age 50 Somewhere? That’s so sad and a big life lesson. I didn’t go as planned when my daughter was 6 as my Mum got Parkinson’s disease. Thank you for the replies xx

Could you try and get employment and sponsored that way? You should try and speak to a migrant agent to see if they have any suggestions for you and your daughter. I don’t think New Zealand have 45 as the cut off. Maybe it’s worth considering. Good luck x

Thank you I’ve contacted some migration agencies and nursing agencies they can find me work on a temporary visa! I guess if it goes well I could get sponsored permanently. Some agencies refund flights if you do so many hours of work for them too. I think I could take a career break from NHS and at least try it for a year or 2 and see if my daughter settles so this is very good news!!! No idea what happens to UK pension though if you do settle in Oz. Thank you everyone I am going to investigate further xx

8 minutes ago, nursepom2001 said:

Thank you I’ve contacted some migration agencies and nursing agencies they can find me work on a temporary visa! I guess if it goes well I could get sponsored permanently.

Yes, you could get a temporary visa BUT be very careful - it is only temporary, for 2 or 4 years.  

Years ago, if you could get a temp visa, then there was a very good chance you could get permanent sponsorship at the end.  Nowadays, it's much less likely and the failure rate is high. So if you do come on a temp visa, you're advised to assume it's only temporary and plan accordingly.  Then if you do manage to get permanency, it's a bonus.  In your case, you need to think about how it would affect your daughter's education if you moved over for 2 to 4 years and then had to leave the country?  

I would also double and triple check that you'll be eligible for permanent sponsorship at the end of the temp visa, or whether the 45 year limit would still apply.  There are some very good agents on this forum like @paulhand and @Raul Senise who may drop in to clarify that.

Finally, I'd caution to be wary of agencies who tell you it will all be easy.  There are some quality agencies out there, but there are also shonky ones who will tell you anything, just to get your application fee.

Edited by Marisawright