Retraining in Aus

Lavers

Just after a little info if anyone can help.

If my wife wanted to do a Uni course for midwifery in Aus, how would it work regarding getting on the course.

All she would have is her GSCEs so would she have to get the Aus equivalent to get on the course or would they do?

Thanks

I would imagine she would need higher than GCSE’s to start uni. In the UK, if you don’t have the required A Levels (ucas points) you can do a one year full time foundation course which is seen as a replacement for A Levels, subject to passing it of course. I’m sure Australia would be similar, that’s probably the TAFE mentioned. It all sounds very expensive. 

I noticed in the UK that they accept 5 GCSEs as an entry to start the course, just cant find much regarding Aus.

I'll keep searching and thanks for the input.

Correction your correct about ucas I thought I seen somewhere else that GCSEs would do instead of A levels.

Edited by Lavers

Question - do you mean once you've got PR?   If you're coming on a temp visa, then you have to pay international fees and they are eye-wateringly expensive.  

As others have said, to get into university, you must have HSC (Higher School Certificate) equivalent, which would be A levels.  There are courses available at TAFE.

Your wife would be classed as a mature student, so wouldn't necessarily need UK or equivalent quals to get uni, just depends on each uni's entry requirements. I'm doing a uni course and wasn't asked for any UK high school quals. I did a Diploma at TAFE (here in Australia) then went into the degree, and some of the degree units were recognised so I have exemptions for some of the units meaning my degree can be completed sooner. There are pathways through a lot of TAFEs. I work in a TAFE and a lot of our Diploma of Nursing students go onto different nursing uni courses, such as midwifery. To get into the Diploma if you are applying straight from school, then here in VIC a Year 12 certificate is required, but if you've been out of education for 12 months then you're classed as a mature student and you just have to meet the entry requirements for the course i.e. literacy and numeracy tests at the required level. 

As Marisa says, costs would depend on the visa you have. If permanent then you would qualify as a local student and some of the Diploma courses are free, but you wouldn't be able to access VET or HELP loans until you have citizenship. 

Hope that helps a little 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's brilliant thanks a lot for the info everyone.

We have a PR visa but it's just a case of getting there now with everything going on.

Just looking at new options for my wife now that both of our girls will be at school, and she wants to start doing a job that is more "worthwhile" as she says.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lavers said:

We have a PR visa but it's just a case of getting there now with everything going on.

Just looking at new options for my wife now that both of our girls will be at school, and she wants to start doing a job that is more "worthwhile" as she says.

Considering it may be 2021 before you can get here, it would be worth her looking distance learning/correspondence course, so she can get started now, rather than waiting till she arrives.

https://onlinestudyaustralia.com/pathways-into-university/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lavers said:

Does she have Nursing qualifications already? Am I right in thinking you're going to SA,  I'll send you a link to the Uni sites if you let me know what State

Thankyou Drumbeat yes SA so ive just been looking at flinders Uni.

My wife has no nursing quals at present so is starting from scratch.

If she was to do a diploma course in the UK now, would that transfer to Aus ok and allow her to start the Uni course next year?

6 minutes ago, Lavers said:

Thankyou Drumbeat yes SA so ive just been looking at flinders Uni.

My wife has no nursing quals at present so is starting from scratch.

If she was to do a diploma course in the UK now, would that transfer to Aus ok and allow her to start the Uni course next year?

I don't know how they assess overseas qualifications these days, I would ask Flinders Uni for guidance. It would be really frustrating if your wife studied for something that wasn't recognised 🙁

Edited by Drumbeat

9 hours ago, cheese n pickle said:

Your wife would be classed as a mature student, so wouldn't necessarily need UK or equivalent quals to get uni, just depends on each uni's entry requirements. I'm doing a uni course and wasn't asked for any UK high school quals. I did a Diploma at TAFE (here in Australia) then went into the degree, and some of the degree units were recognised so I have exemptions for some of the units meaning my degree can be completed sooner. There are pathways through a lot of TAFEs. I work in a TAFE and a lot of our Diploma of Nursing students go onto different nursing uni courses, such as midwifery. To get into the Diploma if you are applying straight from school, then here in VIC a Year 12 certificate is required, but if you've been out of education for 12 months then you're classed as a mature student and you just have to meet the entry requirements for the course i.e. literacy and numeracy tests at the required level. 

As Marisa says, costs would depend on the visa you have. If permanent then you would qualify as a local student and some of the Diploma courses are free, but you wouldn't be able to access VET or HELP loans until you have citizenship. 

That’s interesting and good news for the OP.  In the UK, being a mature student makes no difference.  A friend who I worked with up until recently, decided two years ago to change profession at the age of 49. She only had O Levels (now GCSE’s) and she had to do a full year foundation course at the uni and pass it before starting on the actual 3 year degree course. She’s now on the actual undergraduate course and enjoying it.  Despite very good O Levels and an impressive employment history, there was no budge on starting a degree course without the necessary qualifications.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cheese n pickle said:

Hiya CnP

Seeing as we wont be arriving until later in the year (fingers crossed) if my wife did a Access to Higher Education Diploma in the UK, do you know if that would allow her to go straight onto a degree in Aus.

Or would she still need to do a TAFE diploma?

Hi,

Not sure if the Access to higher ed diploma would be recognised here? In order to get what's called Credit Transfers, which means you've completed units as part of another course and want to claim a credit for them, the unit code has to be an exact match to the current unit. So I would say that might be difficult from overseas as the units of study won't match the Australian ones. Maybe send enquiries to a couple of SA unis and see what they say? The TAFE course is an option should she not be able to get into uni straight away. It will take her a bit longer than doing just the degree as the Diploma nursing courses as TAFE are usually 18 months, but it's a pathway. If she did a diploma first then went into the degree she would probably go into the second year of the degree and get credits for the first year, which is what usually happens for Bachelor of Nursing. Not sure if this is the same for Midwifery 🙂

13 hours ago, Lavers said:

Hiya CnP

Seeing as we wont be arriving until later in the year (fingers crossed) if my wife did a Access to Higher Education Diploma in the UK, do you know if that would allow her to go straight onto a degree in Aus.

Or would she still need to do a TAFE diploma?

I don't think anyone here can give you a straight answer.  Since you know the state you're heading to, the answer is very simple - contact the University and ask them. They will know what they will accept.

• Like 1